Why I hate candles

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: Why I hate candles

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote:Now it is light I have been out to look. There is some heat damage to our plastic window that stands next to theirs. Also smoke damage? to the recently painted rendering. Nothing major, but I will go and see my insurance broker in the morning and see how to proceed. More aggro!

It was quite a spectacular event in a scary way.
Drat! At least the landlord responded to the text correctly - and you're all safe. Those tenants are really living down to the stupid stereotypes, aren't they :(
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote:Now it is light I have been out to look. There is some heat damage to our plastic window that stands next to theirs. Also smoke damage? to the recently painted rendering. Nothing major, but I will go and see my insurance broker in the morning and see how to proceed. More aggro!

It was quite a spectacular event in a scary way.
Have a polite word with landlord see if he will cover your expenses
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I find it worrying how brainless some people can be, lighting candles then pulling down a blind?! Darwin award soon i think Jansman!

Reminds me of a lad i worked with who was a bit lacking in the brain department;

I bought a new Turboflame lighter and was showing it some someone, he came along, looked fascinated by it and asked if it was hotter than a normal lighter, i said to him "put your finger in and find out"

There was a click, a whoosh then a scream as he yelled "f*****g hell, it burned me!" :shock: Last i heard he was in prison. probably the safest place for him really.

I wonder if he's related to your neighbours?! :lol:
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Let's hope they are moved quickly for everyones sake, I had a neighbour a few years ago that thought it would be a great idea to microwave a frozen chicken in its plastic wrapping... The smell :shock:

Thankfully they were moved after a father son argument led to every window in the place being smashed with a snooker cue. :roll:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

yorkshirewolf wrote:

I bought a new Turboflame lighter and was showing it some someone, he came along, looked fascinated by it and asked if it was hotter than a normal lighter, i said to him "put your finger in and find out"

There was a click, a whoosh then a scream as he yelled "f*****g hell, it burned me!" :shock: Last i heard he was in prison. probably the safest place for him really.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mrs andy did similar last night but wasn't daft enough to put her finger in it (got a pack of 2 from the £1 shop they make lighting erm candles easier) dont think she was expecting it... her fault for playing with MY lighter :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mrs andy did similar last night but wasn't daft enough to put her finger in it (got a pack of 2 from the £1 shop they make lighting erm candles easier) dont think she was expecting it... her fault for playing with MY lighter :twisted:
Beavis-fire.gif
Beavis-fire.gif (44.73 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

It might be worth asking the landlord for a copy of his landlords insurance, remind him theres been two fires there and tell him your concerned about the safety of the people living there and what could happen to your property. Sounds better than saying they shouldn't be let out on their own.
I seem to remember being told normal insurance doesn't always cover rented property.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:It might be worth asking the landlord for a copy of his landlords insurance, remind him theres been two fires there and tell him your concerned about the safety of the people living there and what could happen to your property. Sounds better than saying they shouldn't be let out on their own.
I seem to remember being told normal insurance doesn't always cover rented property.
It doesn't, Landlord insurance is required unless you want to take a huge gamble with your investment. I would guess a landlord isn't going to hand over a copy of his insurance to you as a neighbour, I know I wouldn't. I'd be more inclined to give you my phone number if there's a problem (I've done this in the past). Its a bit of a minefield overall, tenant's quite rightly have rights and the balance between landlords and tenant's is getting quite a lot of attention at the moment, even idiot tenant's have the same rights as decent ones, its hard to make the call sometimes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps is correct. I rang the landlord yesterday evening. He now has landlord insurance after the last fire. They caned him though, as he had tenants in there BEFORE he insured properly ( and the same ones). We discussed my losses. His Father is a builder, and he is prepared to do the work at his own expense, I think mainly as any insurance loss in my direction will be expensive, long - term. It will mean a whole new window, I will not accept less. Also repainting the render, and upon closer examination, replacing my alarm box. That will probably mean a whole new system, as it is a wireless system I fitted myself as a complete kit.

I have not said yes or no 'til I speak to my insurance today.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

Although i agree candles are potentially dangerous in the hands of someone who does not treat them with the respect they require, it's hard to argue when a "Church" candle with 70 hours burn time can be purchased for £3.
At that price for nearly a fortnights evening illumination i still have a stock pile. but I take care not to have them on a window ledge LOL

Mongrel