Fire Escape Ladder

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ClericalError

Re: Fire Escape Ladder

Post by ClericalError »

Reading this made me wonder if anyone had invented some kind of self-inflating mattress/bouncy castle thing you could throw out of an upper floor window if there was no way of attaching a ladder. Turns out there is:
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/fire- ... ir-cushion

Has anyone ever seen one of these things in the wild?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

sethorly wrote:This is something I need too, but the ones on Amazon would not fit on my wide window sills. Anyone have any ideas?

is the wall inside below the window made of brick / concrete block? if so

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/masonry-p ... s/6816731/

something about m10 or 12 gauge (m12 is 300kg swl)

2 of them, 1 behind each curtain and adapt the ladder with climbers carabinas

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge ... te-p263298

snap snap ladder out the window and climb down

obvious disclaimer all depends on the substrate your rawlbolts go into and how good your knots and ladder alterations are as to weather your happy to climb down it ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I don't fancy the inflatable matress thingy much, having seen a full size bouncy castle blown away with chidren on it (and it was pegged down) that didn't end well for one of the children.
Jumping out of a window and having that airbag blow away while I'm in the air is going make the landing interesting to say the least.
Even if it isn't blown away theres a knack to landing on airbags, theres been a few stuntmen killed doing just that. Ok, fair enough their jumping a tad higher than my bedroom window at "chateau sniper", but they've got the advantage of some practice, and for the most part they are not knackered old gits like me
I'm courious is it a one person deal or can more than one person use it and follow each other?
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
is the wall inside below the window made of brick / concrete block? if so

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/masonry-p ... s/6816731/

Thanks, Andy, interesting idea.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Seldom have I seen so many excuses given for why something so simple will not work!

Most windows are tagged into the framework using a 2x4 on each side, one across the bottom and a header across the top. If that will not hold your device without tearing out the wall you need to be on a weight control plan.

There is also the option of tying the anchor of the ladder to the bed. That was my son's favorite method when we lived in a two story flat. The bed is not going through the window and if it tears out the wall the place needed burning down anyway, it's not fit to live in.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Mortblanc wrote:Seldom have I seen so many excuses given for why something so simple will not work!

Most windows are tagged into the framework using a 2x4 on each side, one across the bottom and a header across the top.
Sorry m8 but the 5 houses of windows i have fitted have had pvc cavity closures on them .
With metal tags screwed to the upvc frames then frame fixings into the brick work
Granted
It was traditional built brick /block
It was the cheaper end of windows
It was under scottish building regs

But i would want a rawbolt eye or two inside the house to attach the ladder to as said before

And my bed is Ikea , wouldnt want to tie anything to it especially my fat ass on the end of a ladder .With my luck the bed would follow me i would survive the climb but get killed by the headboard

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
NOMAD

Fire Escape Ladder

Post by NOMAD »

This may deviate a little.
However this may help.

On my last job in the staff accommodation me and a few others abseiled out a 4th story window, the windows were this glass panes that went from a wooden board about 2 feet above the floor to ceiling. No way a ladder or anchor would hold there. We'd have gone straight though. The walls weren't much use either there wasn't anything we could bolt ourself to they were Partition walls.
To get out we used multiple anchors attached to what solid things we could find. Mainly stairway banisters and similar.

What I'm trying to get at here is that even with marginal anchors if you have enough of them it may just hold you're wait.

Sam

No trees were destroyed sending this post. However a few electrons were slightly inconvenienced.