Bartering

How are you preparing
JamesMR

Re: Bartering

Post by JamesMR »

jansman wrote:I think that stocking barter items per se, is a mistake. I may have lots of those painkillers. I may not need them immediately the world stops making them. So I barter them. Then a year up the line I need them, but I ain't got 'em now.
Ammunition is an oft cited barter item. Sure , it could hold value, but what if it is used against you?

Just a few thoughts...
Or you approach someone after SHTF in an attempt to barter items with them and they just kick the crap out of you and take what they want. Or worse.

I wouldn't be "bartering" with anyone, if I needed something in a world with no rules and I found someone with that something I needed you bet your life I would be taking it with force if necessary. Yes this isn't very nice but it's survival and it isn't "nice".
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

JamesMR wrote: Snip> I wouldn't be "bartering" with anyone, if I needed something in a world with no rules and I found someone with that something I needed you bet your life I would be taking it with force if necessary.
That's you off my Xmas list. :shock:

Nice principles you have there, just what we want on a Prepping Forum, :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

pseudonym wrote:
JamesMR wrote: Snip> I wouldn't be "bartering" with anyone, if I needed something in a world with no rules and I found someone with that something I needed you bet your life I would be taking it with force if necessary.

Survival > Principles / Morals

Surely you agree? Don't wish to come across as a horrible person but if it means mine or my families survival I will do whatever it takes. If someone places their morals above their survival needs in a SHTF world I can't see that person lasting long :?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

JamesMR wrote:
pseudonym wrote:

Survival > Principles / Morals

Surely you agree? Don't wish to come across as a horrible person but if it means mine or my families survival I will do whatever it takes. If someone places their morals above their survival needs I can't see that person lasting long :?
It's your gung ho, 'I'll take what I want by force' attitude that concerns me the most. Who on earth would want to be in a post-sh*t group with you? I know I certainly wouldn't. And I'm pretty sure others wouldn't want to be, either. You may find yourself cast out from the very people who you need around you to survive. You may say that you're a martial arts expert, but that won't cut much mustard if you try and 'take something with force if necessary' and somebody shoots you in the head.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

itsybitsy wrote:It's your gung ho, 'I'll take what I want by force' attitude that concerns me the most. Who on earth would want to be in a post-sh*t group with you? I know I certainly wouldn't. And I'm pretty sure others wouldn't want to be, either. You may find yourself cast out from the very people who you need around you to survive. You may say that you're a martial arts expert, but that won't cut much mustard if you try and 'take something with force if necessary' and somebody shoots you in the head.
It wasn't my intention to appear gung-ho or stir up a hornets nest. I don't say that I am a martial arts expert either or some sort of hard knock. I am a loving, hard working peaceful individual who's only wish is to get on in life and look after his family.

I wouldn't wish to be in a group should something happen to the stability of the country as I trust no one but my immediate family. I am simply saying If I need something to ensure the survival of me or my family I will acquire it, by any means necessary. Surely everyone can see that logic?

I am also saying that if you approach someone with an attempt to trade with them there is a very real chance they will harm you and take it.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

JamesMR wrote:I wouldn't wish to be in a group should something happen to the stability of the country as I trust no one but my immediate family. I am simply saying If I need something to ensure the survival of me or my family I will acquire it, by any means necessary. Surely everyone can see that logic?
Not really. It sounds naive and rather silly to assume that you can just take what you want from anybody, with impunity. You may get away with this for a while, but rest assured, there WILL be someone who you come up against who will knock seven bells of sh*t out of you, or worse. Isn't existing in relative peace and stability a much better option for long-term survival, than being an unpredictable individual nobody wants to be around - and let's not forget the situation may be so that you DO actually need to be in a group situation, nobody knows what will happen after SHTF - because you go off like a loose canon when you see someone with something that you think that you are entitled to by any means necessary. It just seems to me that by employing that strategy you are actually putting the survival of yourself, and your family at more risk than is necessary.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

itsybitsy wrote:
JamesMR wrote:I wouldn't wish to be in a group should something happen to the stability of the country as I trust no one but my immediate family. I am simply saying If I need something to ensure the survival of me or my family I will acquire it, by any means necessary. Surely everyone can see that logic?
Not really. It sounds naive and rather silly to assume that you can just take what you want from anybody, with impunity. You may get away with this for a while, but rest assured, there WILL be someone who you come up against who will knock seven bells of sh*t out of you, or worse. Isn't existing in relative peace and stability a much better option for long-term survival, than being an unpredictable individual nobody wants to be around because you go off like a loose canon when you see someone with something that you think that you are entitled to by any means necessary. It just seems to me that by employing that strategy you are actually putting the survival of yourself, and your family at more risk than is necessary.
I didn't say that I will take things that I think I am entitled to, I will take things needed in order to ensure my survival.

E.G - Your significant other has an infection and needs penicillin, you come across someone who has it but isn't interested in bartering and tells you to get lost. Would you just say "Oh, ok, no problem"?

Either way, I am not going to attempt to barter with anyone since in this city chances are they would just stab me and take it. They will already do that for something as simple as a phone or wallet let alone if they are starving and there is no law at all.
tigs

Post by tigs »

i guess its where you are , in some places as said bartering would not work i would say that would be true in the bad areas of large cities and towns , and if you live there you know those areas already! the better parts of towns it would be easier but still a risk people would change with no law and order , rural villages and farms i think you would find it easier to barter in relative safety main villages dont see many police officers today let alone after tshtf farmers would more than likely trade for labour i know i would especially during harvest , all in all when bartering you would have to read every situation very carefully non would be 100% safe
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

tigs wrote:i guess its where you are , in some places as said bartering would not work i would say that would be true in the bad areas of large cities and towns , and if you live there you know those areas already! the better parts of towns it would be easier but still a risk people would change with no law and order , rural villages and farms i think you would find it easier to barter in relative safety main villages dont see many police officers today let alone after tshtf farmers would more than likely trade for labour i know i would especially during harvest , all in all when bartering you would have to read every situation very carefully non would be 100% safe
I live in said bad area of a large city, people take things they want even now just for fun / their own gain. If there was no law I can only imagine what they would do.

I totally agree with you though :)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

JamesMR wrote: E.G - Your significant other has an infection and needs penicillin, you come across someone who has it but isn't interested in bartering and tells you to get lost. Would you just say "Oh, ok, no problem"?
If someone didn't want to barter with me then I would retreat and take stock of the situation. I certainly wouldn't just assume I could take what they had by force, or attempt to do so. Because you could be actually about to take that penicillin from someone who need it for their significant other, or their child. And that's a whole other kettle of fish. That's about retaining a level of humanity in a post-sh*t world, because without that, we're all lost. And what happens if you do decide that it's okay to take that penicillin by force, and you get injured. Now not only do you not have what you need, but you don't have the ability to continue on your search for it, or to protect your loved ones if necessary. Your family could be left fatherless and partnerless. How is that going to help them?