diamond lil wrote:How do you prepare rat? How many have you had? :twisted:
Best ask Gino DeCampo

Bit expensive at £1600 a rat though :shock: :lol: :lol:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

modplod

Re: Rats

Post by modplod »

Last Summer my friend and I decided to find out how tasty rat was! :o :o

We humanely killed a CLEAN captive bred rat and grilled it on a spit roast! ;) (My friend owns a large falconry conservation centre and he breeds rats for bird food).

The meat was actually very nice - it tasted a bit like squirrel (if you have ever had that). There wasn't much meat so I think each person will require at least 3 rats each serving.

The lesson learnt here is that rat can be eaten however, I wouldn't recommend eating a wild rat! :shock:
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

What about pot noodles , do they taste as good ? ;) , only gone as far a rabbit .However we've plenty of horses to do us a good while

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

poppypiesdad wrote:What about pot noodles , do they taste as good ? ;) , only gone as far a rabbit .However we've plenty of horses to do us a good while

Jamie

I once caught a pot noodle in the wild. i ripped off its skin and poured scolding water into its insides, ripped open its blood red "sachet" and poured the clarety liquid over the goodness. i didn't wait too long before I was noshing away. i may never have tasted rat, but it sure as hell cant be as bad as a pot noodle.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

nickdutch wrote:I once caught a pot noodle in the wild. i ripped off its skin and poured scolding water into its insides, ripped open its blood red "sachet" and poured the clarety liquid over the goodness. i didn't wait too long before I was noshing away. i may never have tasted rat, but it sure as hell cant be as bad as a pot noodle.
+1 on that Nick

Black-Hat

Post by Black-Hat »

I think wild rats can carry tape worm so be careful! But I guess thats the risk you take if you are starving. :shock:
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Black-Hat wrote:I think wild rats can carry tape worm so be careful! But I guess thats the risk you take if you are starving. :shock:
Any wild meat carries risks of infection, in a survival situation the effect can me multiplied because of improper preparation or cooking and the human body being at a low point and unable to deal with the consequences, food poisoning from badly cooked chicken is rare normally, but could be fatal in a person unable to cope/deal with the effects.

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I used to keep, fly and breed hawks/owls, I had to buy in frozen rat to feed them - and there is no sodding way I would eat anything that smelled like that! :evil: :mrgreen:
modplod

Post by modplod »

During my TA service, D.S told us that providing you cook meat well through & pipeing hot (weld it), it can't hurt you. It might not taste very nice though if it's rancid meat :lol: