Dog food?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
junmist

Re: Dog food?

Post by junmist »

edward.21 wrote:i know it wont be to everyones taste but we are raising rabbits to feed our 3 border collies. you can keep enough to feed your dogs all the time and a family of four three days a week in an an average sised garage.

good luck and good prepping
Hmm I think you will find that it is illeagle to home kill anything but domestic birds so if you are Id keep quite about it :)
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

junmist wrote:
edward.21 wrote:i know it wont be to everyones taste but we are raising rabbits to feed our 3 border collies. you can keep enough to feed your dogs all the time and a family of four three days a week in an an average sised garage.

Hmm I think you will find that it is illeagle to home kill anything but domestic birds so if you are Id keep quite about it :)
If it's for your own consumption and you know what you are doing then it is perfectly legal to kill your own livestock at home

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi- ... 3-1001.txt
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

err what he said, thanks hermit :)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Why not just buy dog food? :shock:
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

itsybitsy wrote:

Part of being self reliant is to find alternatives to the commercial stuff from supermarkets or at a time when dog food becomes just too expensive to buy.
Raising wabbits is a self sustaining food source for humans or dogs.

Same reasons why we grow vegetables, or keep chickens for eggs, or raise our own pigs, or knit our own jumpers, or ..........I could go on! :D
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

preppingsu wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:

Part of being self reliant is to find alternatives to the commercial stuff from supermarkets or at a time when dog food becomes just too expensive to buy.
Raising wabbits is a self sustaining food source for humans or dogs.

Same reasons why we grow vegetables, or keep chickens for eggs, or raise our own pigs, or knit our own jumpers, or ..........I could go on! :D
I'm aware of the ethos of self reliancy, Su! However, I have never heard of anyone doing this before. Even hard-core preppers that I follow on Youtube buy dog food and are not raising a domestic animal to throw to the hounds! Barbaric.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

But rabbits are not just domestic animals/ pets. You can raise them for meat as you would certain chickens. You don't just have to go and shoot wild rabbits. And I'm sure that they would not just throw them to the hounds - they could be cooked with veg added as dogs need a balanced diet too
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

I'm aware of the ethos of self reliancy, Su! However, I have never heard of anyone doing this before. Even hard-core preppers that I follow on Youtube buy dog food and are not raising a domestic animal to throw to the hounds! Barbaric.[/quote]

im sorry if i offended you itsy, but i dont think it is in the least barbaric. my rabbits are raised humainly on grass and have a good life. they are then dispatched humainly and with respect. and i use every part of the rabbit in one way or another. side note what goes into normal dog food?
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »