Sugar Storage

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Cocotte

Re: Sugar Storage

Post by Cocotte »

redskies wrote:They've found honey in the tombs in Egypt. Several thousand years old and still ok to eat!
Seems questionable until you read the reports. It's not "feasibly eatable", those studying it in the museum recently (last 2 years can't remember which museum or tomb) eagerly tried it. Apparently was milder than expected but "still really good". 2500-4000 years old in airtight clay in dry cool climate seems to still be in the best before date.
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

I have bought the larger catering type packs of sugar which have a better container and seal. Just hoping that offers a tad more protection but as others have said, generally the more moisture and O2 you keep away from it the longer it will last.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It doesn't matter if it goes solid its still fine. The only way to avoid is to store in a warm dry room and that would mean sharing your livingroom with a couple sacks of sugar. Maybe disguise it tastefully to look like an Ikea sofa :mrgreen:
redskies

Post by redskies »

Cocotte wrote:
redskies wrote:They've found honey in the tombs in Egypt. Several thousand years old and still ok to eat!
Seems questionable until you read the reports. It's not "feasibly eatable", those studying it in the museum recently (last 2 years can't remember which museum or tomb) eagerly tried it. Apparently was milder than expected but "still really good". 2500-4000 years old in airtight clay in dry cool climate seems to still be in the best before date.

When honey ages, it crystallises. You can warm it gently to liquefy it again, and eat it like that.

I don't think I would have been eager to try honey that old, but I wouldn't discount it after careful examination!
BigMacKin

Post by BigMacKin »

What a very useful website, thank you :D
junmist

Post by junmist »

12mp82 wrote:
junmist wrote:don't forget that before we had sugar in bags we had it in loafs and the cook/house wife would just chip or cut a bit off
I can't remember that far back junmist ;)
Oh :lol: :lol: :lol: neither can I but they made me do geography at school and I remeber that when we were doing Brazil they mention about sugar loaf mountain looking like a sugar loaf :mrgreen: My teachers would be suprised that I remebered that
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle