Treat in the BOB

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Quercus-robur

Re: Treat in the BOB

Post by Quercus-robur »

I have a hip flask with some Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum in. Is great stuff and gives you an instant warming sensation. Getting drunk in a survival situation could be fatal but a few swigs of rum/whiskey can provide you with a morale boost. Survival is a mind game. The importance keeping up morale cannot be underestimated. Watching various survival programs and reading various books I have heard of stories of people dying in low risk scenarios because they didn't have the mindset or motivation to secure their own survival. Instead, they waited to be rescued and for others to save them and failed to do basic things like build a shelter or make a fire. I have also heard stories of people overcoming insurmountable odds because they have the will and motivation to survive. Obviously training and equipment must be taken into account but I rate mindset on par with them in terms of importance.

So yeah, anything that will help boost your morale is an important addition to you BOB and preps in general. It's why I also have a pack of cards in mine too.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
dangerous dave

Post by dangerous dave »

in my military ration pack i received 2 yorkie bars i cant see the harm in having a few swigs of whisky in times of need it could help some one relax and sleep especially when stressed i my wouldn't mind keeping one or 2 in there my self if its strong enough you could use it to get a fire going

DD
DD

AREA 10

People rest safe in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence in their name

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Edward R. Murrow
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Excellent barter tool if u bug in with a supply of liquor.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
vespanutuk

Post by vespanutuk »

I have a hip flask of scotch in my main BOB, I also have a quart bottle of whisky and vodka in each of my BOL boxes purley for medicinal purposes or possibly bartering if it lasted that long.
XMaramena

The emergency escape.

Post by XMaramena »

Probably not an option if you're on foot - weight and size just doesn't make it worth it, but will you be taking an emergency escape?

I know that if the SHTF, I'll be taking a bottle of Peroni, because I know there'll be a time at some point over the coming months when I'll need it. Or maybe as a little self reward - like the "fat lady cigars" in "Independence Day". I think we'll all need a few minutes of emotional escape at some point.

One of the things I studied as part of my combat training was NLP and psychology - you'd be surprised at how many people crack and made completely wrong decisions because of a steady increase in stress, and another issue arises that when in a survival mode, especially in isolation, there's a gap between instinctive survival and "human emotion" - if that makes any sense - that becomes increasingly hard to separate over a long period of time, and eventually coalesce into a different person.

So what's your escape? One last cigarette? Your favourite beer? A family photo?
DundeePrepper

Re: The emergency escape.

Post by DundeePrepper »

200 Fags and a Keg of Peroni (Good Shout BTW!) Even on foot - i'll be rolling it down the hill :tinfoil

In all seriousness though - I'll be taking some 70% Dark Chocolate.. Green and Blacks preferably! ;) ... It can be used in almost all dishes to liven it up a little (even just plain rice..) Also it won't give you a sweet tooth hankering to go out and fight to the death for the last KitKat left of the shelves of the most remote Shell petrol station in the UK... :lol:
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Peroni.... I had to google it, thought it was a wine and I don't like wine :lol: and I don't do tobacco either, I think I'd take my Pernod and Crème de menthe mix though, get drunk and a sugar rush less weight too. :mrgreen:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Mustachio

Post by Mustachio »

I think the chances of needing to bug out in a life or death situation are pretty minimal, and if you do need to bug out then we'll all be screwed at some point anyway, so why not go out a little bit merry :)

The most likely use of a BOB would be house fire or flood I would have thought, so you're not going to be in a life or death situation once you get out of dodge, so if you've just lost your house a little tipple my be the order of the day!

I plan on sticking a hip-flask of rum in mine, and also a selection of family photos. The weigh almost nothing, take up no space and should something happen to my house it'd be nice to save a little bit of family history. Not to mention looking at pictures of my son is about the biggest pick-me-up I can get.
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Mine would be a bottle of XO Brandy, just cant beat it to lift the mood and dampen the sences lol

I do agree you need a little something as a treat or special treat, to help keep your attitude positive and having moments of calmness amist the crazinest should the worst we all prep for actually happen.
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

Has to be a bottle of malt whiskey :D
AREA 10