What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
ojiu0u4

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by ojiu0u4 »

having said all that, I recall we all felt the fire training was a bit pointless for us in our portacabin right next to the acetylene oxide shed which had a moral boosting zone of death of half a mile all around it and so unstable that there was no access unless in paper suits and no pagers or phones. that view out of one set of windows (combined with the glue sniffers on the canal with their plastic bags) made for such an uplifting mood and much joking about the weekly fire alarm test that we would likely never hear the alarm go from intermittent to continuous being at ground zero for a big fiery crater.

I would have been more concerned then if I had already worked at another of their sites where they managed to encase a chaps allotment in a chemical glassy resin as they lost control of one of their reactors that then blew the lid through the roof and raining many (60ish) large (1ft) bolts all over the town that it was right near the middle of in addition to immortalizing a lots of vegetables in resin.

If I had know this it might of raised concerns somewhat over the potential hazard of the ethylene oxide specter on our labs doorstep.

The company in question went bust a long time ago.
Area 9
MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

Watched the video - thank you for the link, it was very informative - don't like or understand why they all have to be red now, but does explain why I was getting confused.

I figured the fire blanket covered 'kitchen' fires & the powder covered my main concern which was butane (gas heater cylinder & camping stove cans).

As best I could tell, I do still need the powder ones for those, but will be getting the other one you recommended.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Went to the cemetary, its my Nan's birthday, but so I dont get there and think to myself ok im stood here in the rain again, better go home, I took my crusader kit and tried my bootpolish alcohol burner I made for it.
It works really well, if you have the mk.1 crusader kit it is a good mod to try, means it not just for gel or hexi blocks :)

I think a few people thought I was a bit crazy sitting on my fishing chair with my umbfela waiting for the water to boil.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Started repacking my survival tins (well pouches) for work. Based on the four main elements of survival as I've been Tait them;

Water
Shelter
Fire
Food

I have 3 pouches, Water, Fire and Shelter/Food (and all the odd and sods).

Lists to follow...
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Finished sorting all my first aid stuff out today.
Now to try and book all 4 of us onto a training course!

* just found one in York in February :)
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Just ordered 40 ton of type 1 hard-core to try and subdue the mud around the house , never really did any landscaping, just scraped the ground flat , we stockpiled the broken block , rooftiles and general solids from the build, in ton bags, so that was scattered in the deep bits , might as wel upfill it with crap than use new stone.

Just need to gift wrap it for the wife .......... ;)

So tonight and for the next week or so be on the end of a shovel and wheelbarrow

If my calculations are right

16 shovels to the wheelbarrow
16 wheelbarrow s to the ton

That's lots of well everything
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

After reading ojiu0u4 's post about toilet paper - stocked up a bit more (tesco value as we have a septic tank and thick stuff more prone to clogging it) and will aim to stock as much as I can find storage space for in the future! thanks for creeping me out ojiu0u4! Also added 4 packs organic porridge oats and stock cubes for soup, 2 broth mix, 2 split peas and 2 lentils.
Also clearing out unwanted junk, large bag and 1 box to charity shop, 1 large bag in bin. I do this a few times a year, where on earth does it all come from! Got a little more space now, till the xmas stuff arrives at least.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

poppypiesdad wrote:Just ordered 40 ton of type 1 hard-core to try and subdue the mud around the house , never really did any landscaping, just scraped the ground flat , we stockpiled the broken block , rooftiles and general solids from the build, in ton bags, so that was scattered in the deep bits , might as wel upfill it with crap than use new stone.

Just need to gift wrap it for the wife .......... ;)

So tonight and for the next week or so be on the end of a shovel and wheelbarrow

If my calculations are right

16 shovels to the wheelbarrow
16 wheelbarrow s to the ton

That's lots of well everything
16 big wheelbarrows to the ton maybe? I'de be tempted to borrow a tractor with a front loader for a day or two to shift it around with, when the driver comes they should be able to tip it off in a few places if you ask nicely which would save a lot of time and effect
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Yip it is 16 to the ton depends on your barrow and wheeling and ability, and got a zetor with a Chilton loader , but she's an old girl and well too useful if she breaks . She'll move 4x4 bales and tip the poo trailer, but see if shtf. Or more ,shovel , wheel barrow and sweat.
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Due to shifts being cut at work and others getting laid off last week I'm on the hunt for a new job so not much prepping going on just using preps but did manage to get 4ltrs of paraffin for my Tilley just need to paint the tank and fit the service kit and it will be ready for use.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?