Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
coppz

Re: Crossbow. Is it really necessary?

Post by coppz »

:lol:
Charlie 5

Post by Charlie 5 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:You seem to be saying that long thin pointy projectiles are more lethal because of their shape and that guns aren't kinetic energy weapons.... Am I correct ?
A bullet is propelled by a charge and deforms on impact, even an armour piercing round will follow such a pattern of behaviour although the deformity will be delayed by its capacity to penetrate - there is kinetic energy in the bullet, but such energy is easily dissipated by its design - frangible ammunition is an excellent example of energy dissipation. The Crossbow Bolt 'long thin and pointy', doesn't give up its energy so easily and that it why it is such a good penetrator and in certain circumstances more lethal than a firearm
If I fail, at least I fail whilst daring greatly, so that my place will never be with those cold and timid souls who have known neither victory or defeat
sg4

Post by sg4 »

Couple of points here:

1.Crossbow hunting is illegal because it is hard to cause a lethal injury to animals like dear, as you require a clean heart shot normally. the bolt will also not pass throught the deer completely as it does not have enough kinetic force to do so, thus leaving an animal with a bolt lodge in its chest causing an slow and agonising death.

2. a .22 rim fire round still penetrates a skull within 10m and to hunt deer you normally use a .308 round or .223 for a fox. these caliber rifles pass straight through said targets leaving up to a 6 inch diameter wound of destroyed flesh. resulting in quick death by blood loss or shock.

3. most common firearms sold in the UK are .22 and 177 HMR which are soley used for killing rabbits and squirrels or a similar size

crossbows can be a very leathal weapon if you are a trained shot just like any other firearm

edited by Moderator
neilg

Post by neilg »

Just reading the last post and think the poster has got it wrong.There are many crossbows on the market today that will shoot a bolt clean through bigger animals than deer.I know this post is old ,but people should know how effective these weapons are if they are looking for something that will put food in their bellies if things went totally wrong.
We all know that shooting quarry with any kind of bow is illegal in this country and we are talking about using such a weapon in the unlikely event that law and order has completely broke down.If such an event ever occured,the modern high powered crossbow is an effective tool that will deal with any sized animal,big or small and are well worth consideration as a survival tool.