A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
munchh

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by munchh »

Mine just turned up, smaller than i imagined, but yes blunt, i went for the ones with one serated edge, one for my molle pac one for my responce pac and a couple for Christmas pressies :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

New EDC thingy arrived today (True Utility TelePen), it was on Amazons lightning deal for £4 but the prime members got them all , so £6.50 for me....http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o02_s00

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

tanstaafl wrote:New EDC thingy arrived today (True Utility TelePen), it was on Amazons lightning deal for £4 but the prime members got them all , so £6.50 for me....http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o02_s00

Coincidentally my true utility nanolite arrived today, a very quick test suggests it looks good and kicks out a fair bit of light. I've stuck it in a pocket in my wallet (along with the spare batteries that come with it but my wallet is already starting to get bulky again with bits and bobs. I'm really not keen on carrying a tin or pouch in my breeks pocket so I'll have to have a think. Here's the nano.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... ge_o00_s00
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I do like that Deeps, but already have the Nitecore Tube http://www.amazon.co.uk/NITECORE-Resist ... ring+torch and a load of photon type leds kicking about http://www.amazon.co.uk/22000MCD-Flashl ... ring+torch so dont really need it......................but would match the tele pen :D
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

munchh wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-EDC- ... BPvZbz_keQ

ive ordered some of these, not sure how legal they are to carry on the strap of your bag, but for the money i wanted to see, from china they are £2 in the uk about £5
Just FYI, those little knives are not at all legal to carry in the uk unless you can think of a good reason to be carrying it that'll stand up in court, fixed blades are totally prohibited without good reason no matter how small they are, (I agree that it's pretty stupid) and the police and courts would likely look upon one of those in the same light as the little daggers that you can get hidden in belt buckles, even the tiny letter opener type blades on the victorinox Swiss card could well get you in trouble if you got a particularly jobsworth like police officer but would be a whole lot easier to justify.
Not saying I have a problem with you or anyone carrying one, but be aware that you could have issues carrying one every day.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
munchh wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-EDC- ... BPvZbz_keQ

ive ordered some of these, not sure how legal they are to carry on the strap of your bag, but for the money i wanted to see, from china they are £2 in the uk about £5
Just FYI, those little knives are not at all legal to carry in the uk unless you can think of a good reason to be carrying it that'll stand up in court, fixed blades are totally prohibited without good reason no matter how small they are, (I agree that it's pretty stupid) and the police and courts would likely look upon one of those in the same light as the little daggers that you can get hidden in belt buckles, even the tiny letter opener type blades on the victorinox Swiss card could well get you in trouble if you got a particularly jobsworth like police officer but would be a whole lot easier to justify.
Not saying I have a problem with you or anyone carrying one, but be aware that you could have issues carrying one every day.

Agree...... but belt buckle knives are classed as disguised knives, not "hidden" as there is no "concealed carry" law in the UK, you can keep your knife where you want it, hidden or not, but you cannot disguise it.....

Would think this comes under the "disguised" category, hence illegal full stop (made to look like a molle clip) ........would not risk it myself, shame tho as I do like them but would just have a normal knife on my ruck...plenty out there with subdued molle sheaths etc....

It seems silly I know but you legally carry the below openly, but not the little fella... :D

And a for good legal option for a quick access blade (which I used myself with a subcom 42.... second pic)

From the dot gov website

Banned knives

flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives, eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
munchh

Post by munchh »

It is not disguesed as a buckle, it just attaches to a strap, i thought they were more like the escape tools you keep in the car?

but i get your point. :(
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

munchh wrote:It is not disguesed as a buckle, it just attaches to a strap, i thought they were more like the escape tools you keep in the car?

With those I would say it's a bit of a grey area, a magistrate could decide that it's disguised or not, depending on the magistrate, as it's designed to be inconspicuous rather than disguised, but that's not a risk I personally would be prepared to take, especially as even if they don't decide it's prohibited it's still a fixed blade that they could nick you for anyway.

The way I see it, there's no point trying to push your luck or bend the rules for the sake of something that's not a great deal of use anyway, going to jail for a while or community service if you're lucky would doubly suck if it's over something easily avoided. But then I do have firearms license, so I have to stay squeaky clean if I want to keep it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

munchh wrote:It is not disguesed as a buckle, it just attaches to a strap, i thought they were more like the escape tools you keep in the car?

mmmmmmm :) , maybe... :?: but as the post above said , "grey area"........ but to be honest when I first saw them a while back, my first thought was "ooh naughty" , as to me they looked to have been designed to blend in with the molle clips on my rush backpack.......... :shock:

But then I am a suspicious bugger :D
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

All this knife legality business puts me right on edge. Us citizen types are just kids to them, little people to make statistics of.

When I think that the law and land is so flakey, and that opinions of high school bullies (now cops) or oxford grad judges are in charge of our fates, it makes me feel very vulnerable. I would like to avoid ever coming into contact with any police ever, and that is my intention. Weather legally carrying or not, that one person has the power to ruin you or let you go free on a whim.

Aaaaaaanyway - back on topic.

I decided while on holiday in Spain that my emergency phone charger could be smaller. I love my Nomad 3.5 and my Guide 10, but my kit never got used - it's an emergency only item when visiting cities. It's small enough to fit into my cargo pants pocket, but really, it's too big when you think it's not likely to be needed. It looks like this:

I'm thinking of something like this as an optional 'holiday' EDC item. I actually watched one sell on eBay yesterday for £3.19.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000mAh-Solar ... true&rt=nc

Not sure how good it's going to be. There are some horror videos on youtube showing terrible build quality and pathetic performance regarding both capacity and solar charging. But they're selling a lot of them on eBay and there doesn't seem to be all that much bad feedback anymore. If buying from China they often give a full refund if you're not happy, I'm thinking it's worth taking a chance.

If it works, even to 50% of what it promises, it should (with a little effort pointing it at the sun) provide me with at least 75% of a charge off a full battery, and about 15 - 25% per day if relying solely on the solar panel. That's enough in a true emergency.

If this fails, there are better quality versions on the market. There is a Freeloader version for £50 called iSIS (I bet they're regretting that name now):

And there is also the Easyacc version for about £33, but I'm not sure if they've stopped making it, I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere:

Image.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.