What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
bulldogeagle

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by bulldogeagle »

yeah, i might use the camping excuse next time...(as in everytime we go camping someone loses the tin opener !) :lol:
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

At long last managed to plant out some well established plants. We will have lots of cucumber this year! The rest of the garden is slowly starting to pick up.
Realised I need to increase my fist aid kit and medicine storage.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

on the way out of work ( asda ) this morning i picked up
2x 250g dried peas @ 38p per pack
2x 50g whitworths dried country vegetables @ 43p per pack
1x 500g great scot salad bean mix @ £1.18p per pack
1x 500g great scot yellow split peas @ 58p per pack
1x 500g great scot green split peas @ 68p per pack
1x 120g falafel mix @ £1
1x 120g meatfree bolognese mix and 1x 120g meatfree savoury mince. think they were the same price as the falafel mix.

one thing i have noticed while working at asda over the past 5-6 months is the amount of perfectly good food (mainly fresh fruit and veg and meat) that is thrown away on a daily basis. because of the use by dates. most food past the ubd or bbd are perfectly fine to eat. they are only there to get you to buy more http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... mlproducts!, this bugs me greatly as i hate seeing wastage. I am told they cant give it to schools or charities incase someone gets ill and sues them. for some foods this maybe the case but generally if something smells ok or tastes ok it is safe to eat even well past the best before date. as a prepper and a human being i think it is morally wrong when there are families up and down the country that can't afford to fill their cupboards.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

i_am_jim wrote:on the way out of work ( asda ) this morning i picked up
2x 250g dried peas @ 38p per pack
2x 50g whitworths dried country vegetables @ 43p per pack
1x 500g great scot salad bean mix @ £1.18p per pack
1x 500g great scot yellow split peas @ 58p per pack
1x 500g great scot green split peas @ 68p per pack
1x 120g falafel mix @ £1
1x 120g meatfree bolognese mix and 1x 120g meatfree savoury mince. think they were the same price as the falafel mix.

one thing i have noticed while working at asda over the past 5-6 months is the amount of perfectly good food (mainly fresh fruit and veg and meat) that is thrown away on a daily basis. because of the use by dates. most food past the ubd or bbd are perfectly fine to eat. they are only there to get you to buy more http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... mlproducts!, this bugs me greatly as i hate seeing wastage. I am told they cant give it to schools or charities incase someone gets ill and sues them. for some foods this maybe the case but generally if something smells ok or tastes ok it is safe to eat even well past the best before date. as a prepper and a human being i think it is morally wrong when there are families up and down the country that can't afford to fill their cupboards.
this kind of thing really bugs me, so much is wasted by supermarkets and business in general and it all goes to land fill which is a crying waste, this food is perfectly edible and a lot of it isnt even past the sell buy date its just there isnt room on the shelf for the new delivery so the older stuff goes in the skip, around here i cant get to the supermarket skips as they lock them up behind high fencing or i would be doing some Freegan -ing of my own.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Went to the supermarket to get a wedding acceptance card and came out with 2 bags of tins/jars for my food stocks. :roll: (and I nearly forgot the card!!!)

I just feel I should be buying more.......
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

preppingsu wrote:
I just feel I should be buying more.......

I have this feeling....had a few nights out and birthdays and such recently and find my self thinking how much stuff I could be buying with that money. I have to remind myself that while I'm prepping for the future I shouldnt forget to live now but it is hard sometimes :oops:
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Just waiting for some money to clear so i can get the distiller of my dreams
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

My preps have been very poor lately due to many reasons! I intend to do a "stock check" this weekend and see where I am.Things are spread about the house a lot so looking at keeping an inventory.

I reckon food wise I could feed me the wife daughter and two dogs for 3 months,water is a prob as not really stocked up yet but lots of rivers near by.

I think I am going to have a "spare"£500 this month,due to some building work being cheaper than expected,so I was thinking of getting some water butts and do a big food shop.

:)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm getting twitchy as well, need more food in but the OH is being a bloody nightmare. New exhaust system for the bike nearly £400. Tank cover £100. New glasses £350. His computer fixed £60. It's like he's trying to waste as much as poss and its doin my head in. :evil:
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

diamond lil wrote: New glasses £350.

HOW MUCH ????