What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
maxilaura

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by maxilaura »

Thanks Su, had a read and I can understand the pros and cons of it all. At the moment I still think its been a good move cause I've been showing my daughter every night the balance of credit left after the days' use, and it is getting through to her that using the microwave, leaving the lights on etc etc are costing money and she can see how much it is actually costing as the days go by.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

maxilaura wrote:Thanks Su, had a read and I can understand the pros and cons of it all. At the moment I still think its been a good move cause I've been showing my daughter every night the balance of credit left after the days' use, and it is getting through to her that using the microwave, leaving the lights on etc etc are costing money and she can see how much it is actually costing as the days go by.
Young people have no idea how much electric they are using leaving the lights, TV etc on! I'm constantly telling mine to switch lights off during the day!!!!!!!
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

I purchased next years veggie seeds on the weekend.

Local garden centre has Suttons and Thompson-Morgan seeds on sale. My thinking was, they are half price, will germinate nearly as well and I'll have some preps designed to eliminate potential supply problems next spring. As I posted previously I feel there is a very real possibility of seeds not being available one year due to a mad panic as everybody "decides to put in a garden" all at once.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3935

Not sure quite why I feel so strongly about that - just a gut feeling of foreboding.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Did a massive shop, got enough food for three months. There was a sale on wholewheat paster so I have 14 bags of it. Also joined a new gym on Friday so I've been going two hours a day and plan on doing that for the next 6 months to get in better shape.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I do not "DO" bug out bags (not starting an argument here Moderator),that is me and that is it.
However,I have asked all the Girls to put a set of sensible clothing,shoes and a waterproof into a grab bag. I have added cash and I have all important documents including the Deeds to the house in a fireproof box.

I have to concede that the floods(unlikely here at rhe highest point in the village) and the explosion that wrecked those houses in (Oldham?) the other week COULD leave one standing in the clothes,or less, on your back.

Before someone tells me I need to put this that and the other in the bag,I have three outbuldings full of gear and a cached emergency stash. If we evacuate I do not want to cart stuff that might get me arrested!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I haven't got a BOB either jansman, but I'm thinking of putting things like birth certs, insurances and car/bike docs in a handy folder where I can get them in case of fire.
Optimystic

Post by Optimystic »

diamond lil wrote:I haven't got a BOB either jansman, but I'm thinking of putting things like birth certs, insurances and car/bike docs in a handy folder where I can get them in case of fire.
This is something weve been discussing.. am thinking of getting a fireproof box for essential paperwork, a few momentos etc
Also, thinking ahead Im often driving away from home, it would do me well to have a small bag of clothes/Blanket/provisions in the boot..
We have almost all our provisions safely ensconsed in plastic boxes, so in the event of a flood they should be sound but fire would wipe them out.. might look in to organising the shed better so that provisions can be moved in to a more secure space.
Any helpful ideas i should take in to account?
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you are storing in outbuildings always keep mouse bait down.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh yes,there is also no such thing ad enough shelves! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Count me in around bug out bags - I do have one, its true, but its much more based around "if there's a fire or a flood, what will I need to put an insurance claim in and get my life running again" - so its got all the normal documents, plus a toothbrush and toothpaste and handcream (they don't do that stuff any more at travelodge!). Plus a mini pack of playing cards, a bit of cash, that sort of thing. Not a running-from-the-zombies type thing, not at all.

In relation to the zombies, tho, I've bought a mahoosive great tub of petroleum jelly (for starting a campfire) and some nice strong storage bags.

I was also delving into the depths of stored electrical this that and the other, and came across my wind up radio! Am/FM, with a dynamo and flashlight. Luckily, I kept the instructions with it, so I'm going to have a play this afternoon and store it with the "bob", such as it is, travelodge car parks are dark at night :lol: