What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote:Gulp ... coyotes... buying cotton gardening gloves at 2 sets for £1 doesn't really cut it after that :shock:
Yes it does, mine will only come into its own in the winter months, or if "The Day After Tommorow" ever happens :mrgreen:

a hell of a lot cheaper too :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tigs

Post by tigs »

been pricing up cargo containers, we need one that can be buried and turned into a store our small celler is just too small
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Moony

Post by Moony »

tigs wrote:been pricing up cargo containers, we need one that can be buried and turned into a store our small celler is just too small
This idea has been discussed elsewhere on this forum before, you need to dig one hell of a hole, and they tend to suffer from corrosion and a lot of condensation problems, especially when buried. Given correct surface treatment and ventilation this can work, but you might be better off costing up a simple concrete walled structure and see how it compares..although this might bring additional planning issues. An above ground, insulated, cargo container won't need planning and might be a cheaper but less attractive option too. Good luck, sounds like you have a pretty good set-up already :D
I'm in Area 7 !
TJCNI

Post by TJCNI »

Been reorganising all our food stocks with the wife, if the worst happens it seems we could live on baked beans for a long time!
Other than that got a few bags of powdered ice tea to offset the bland taste of water!
tigs

Post by tigs »

Moony wrote:
tigs wrote:been pricing up cargo containers, we need one that can be buried and turned into a store our small celler is just too small
This idea has been discussed elsewhere on this forum before, you need to dig one hell of a hole, and they tend to suffer from corrosion and a lot of condensation problems, especially when buried. Given correct surface treatment and ventilation this can work, but you might be better off costing up a simple concrete walled structure and see how it compares..although this might bring additional planning issues. An above ground, insulated, cargo container won't need planning and might be a cheaper but less attractive option too. Good luck, sounds like you have a pretty good set-up already :D
thanks for the idea about the concrete walled structure will have to do some pricing on that , putting a store underground is to keep itat a constant temperature so it can be used as a food store, so above ground not really an option even if its insulated, also i checked our local planning regs and dont need permission for it if its buried .
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Wow, thats some serious storage! Very exciting :) I'm not doing anything in the house at the mo, normal stuff going on like having some flooring laid, so the work is all about getting my stuff back in the room now its done, but the postman had 3 things for me yesterday:

- One Second After, the novel.
- a pretty pink ResQme (haven't had time to practise with it yet, but I will, before I go on another train - got a car journey this afternoon, and will just have to suck it up).
- a 4" x 7" fresnel lens - this is so I can see map features! This size is also advertised as a solar collector to enable you to start a fire. And it means I don't have to buy even the cheapo reading glasses, which is A Good Thing.
tigs

Post by tigs »

i have just been pricing up shipping containers with the idea of turning one into a root celler , rust is not a problem as they are designed to withstand sea water , the major problem is reinforcing them with cross beams and keeping groundwater out. i found this artical on just the subject of burying a shipping container might have to rethink the root celler
Ready for Anything

Area 8
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Just visited a landowner who advertised on the Landshare scheme (River Cottage). We have agreed to take on about 1/4 acre of land with raised beds plus huge (approx 12ft long) greenhouse to grow more veg. There is also an orchard of apple, pear and plum trees that we have free access to and a big bonus GRAPEVINES!!!
They just want someone to care for it all and in return have a small percentage of the produce. Two years ago the grapes went to the local vineyard and produced many bottles of wine.

Wow, this will be a move towards being more self sufficient. It is amazing.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Wow.. that's really good news Su, you must be over the moon :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
metatron

Post by metatron »

Picked up an external antenna for my old Garmin GPS60 and did a 6 hour night walk on the south downs to test it.