Live in a 2nd floor flat, need advice/suggestions.

Homes and Retreats
Arzosah

Re: Live in a 2nd floor flat, need advice/suggestions.

Post by Arzosah »

Yikes to unrolling loo rolls :shock: I flatten mine, by laying on them - cos you're right about that kizzie, they take up an awful lot of space :lol: Seriously, have you ever re-rolled a toilet roll? When I do it because one's tumbled across the floor somwhere, I can *never* get it as smooth or get it to take up as little space. My bad!
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I have a stash of these

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =255293653

Useful as well in the car, on holiday etc
Knowledge is power
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote:Yikes to unrolling loo rolls :shock: I flatten mine, by laying on them -!
I flatten mine too , but not with storage in mind. A perfectly round toilet roll will unravel on it's holder ( think Andrex puppy ) much easier than a flattened roll. Saves it being used up too quickly :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote:
Arzosah wrote:Yikes to unrolling loo rolls :shock: I flatten mine, by laying on them -!
I flatten mine too , but not with storage in mind. A perfectly round toilet roll will unravel on it's holder ( think Andrex puppy ) much easier than a flattened roll. Saves it being used up too quickly :D
This may be TMI, but when I unwrap ones that don't come from my own storage, I flatten them as I put them on the holder - my clients often pop into the loo, and some of them have used *literally* half a roll. Flattening definitely discourages that :mrgreen:
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've given up using toilet paper. Sphagnum moss is the way forward. Simply wipe, reverse, polish, then air dry. Mind you, I bet there's not a lot of moss in a 2nd floor flat so wet wipes may be the alternative ;-)

Back to topic. I would say clean water is your number one priority. Do you have a cold water header tank in your flat? Maybe not, so you might be on a linked water supply where you can't be sure it will always be on or clean. Maybe a small water filter would be an idea to get sooner rather than later. All of the Lifesaver kit is good but for ultimate compactness the Sawyer Mini is a handy thing to have around.
Last edited by Briggs 2.0 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

featherstick wrote:I think for someone in your situation, a local council preparedness guide would be a good place to start. That lays out the basics of what you should have ready - torch, water, battery radio, etc. I've had a quick google but I can't turn up a relevant link - can anyone else help?

Then when you have that, as I always say, do a needs assessment. What do we have? What do we need? What could give us problems locally i.e. fire at the local chemical plant....and work up your plans from that. Take it step by step and don't imagine you need to spend loads of money on tactical kit, or that we're all going to die tomorrow!
Not sure what to prep for in the event of one of the Trident missiles being fired in an "oops" moment or malfunction occurring and the sub "going nuclear". We have the subs patrolling just yards away ... I think it would be game over :). Not too worried, but won't miss them if we get independence :)!
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've given up using toilet paper. Sphagnum moss is the way forward. Simply wipe, reverse, polish, then air dry. Mind you, I bet there's not a lot of moss in a 2nd floor flat so wet wipes may be the alternative ;-)

Back to topic. I would say clean water is your number one priority. Do you have a cold water header tank in your flat? Maybe not, so you might be on a linked water supply where you can't be sure it will always be on or clean. Maybe a small water filter would be an idea to get sooner rather than later. All of the Lifesaver kit is good but for ultimate compactness the Sawyer Mini is a handy thing to have around.
We always have a fair amount of loo roll in the house. I like the flattened approach, but it doesn't look nice, so planning on trying to locate covered loo roll holders, so guests can't see the sneaky, loo roll saving trick :). Will be buying more and storing them in the attic (I reckon they'll either help with the insulation or add to the fire hazard :lol: ), but for grid down long term scenario where the loos no longer work, I'm buying lots of facecloths. My daughter and I use them anyway ... as facecloths ... but they could be used just like old-fashioned terry towelling nappies - used, washed/disinfected and re-used. Sounds gruesome, but if our mothers and grandmothers could wash out babies' nappies by hand, it can't be that bad. I might even buy one of those nappy buckets and I'll be stocking up on lots more bleach.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

FEISTY wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've given up using toilet paper. Sphagnum moss is the way forward. Simply wipe, reverse, polish, then air dry. Mind you, I bet there's not a lot of moss in a 2nd floor flat so wet wipes may be the alternative ;-)

We always have a fair amount of loo roll in the house. I like the flattened approach, but it doesn't look nice, so planning on trying to locate covered loo roll holders, so guests can't see the sneaky, loo roll saving trick :). Will be buying more and storing them in the attic (I reckon they'll either help with the insulation or add to the fire hazard :lol: ), but for grid down long term scenario where the loos no longer work, I'm buying lots of facecloths. My daughter and I use them anyway ... as facecloths ... but they could be used just like old-fashioned terry towelling nappies - used, washed/disinfected and re-used. Sounds gruesome, but if our mothers and grandmothers could wash out babies' nappies by hand, it can't be that bad. I might even buy one of those nappy buckets and I'll be stocking up on lots more bleach.

I washed my kids nappies and now my grand kids nappies. ( in a machine though now, but have had to wash by hand at times.) My daughter uses washable baby wipes ( has them in a Tupperware thingie with calamine tea solution on them) and reusable toilet paper ermm no, not paper, cloth haha

I have lots of old fleece clothes that I have cut up, might start testing them just to see how easy, or not easy, they are to wash without a washing machine and what is the best hand method and what type.