"best" 4x4 off and on road

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
BigF

Post by BigF »

I had a Suzuki Vitara dating back to the 90's. If you don't need a load lugger this would be an excellent choice. Uses way less fuel than most other 4x4's and is really just a capable off road. Probably never make 30 years old though.

I replaced this with a Jimny which was equally good. Again I doubt these will become great vintage cars.
Had a Volvo XC70 which was a lovely car if a bit pinched for 3 grown passengers in the back.

Currently driving a Nissan XTrail as my main car. Loving the comfort and economy over even the Jimny of a modern 4x4. Unfortunately the latest design has less power and as all cars have stopped being a box at the back its losing so much space in the rear cargo section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tanstaafl

Re: "best" 4x4 off and on road

Post by tanstaafl »

preparedsurrey wrote:
Another reason for the lack of older Japanese 4x4's was imports, these were never underseal or sprayed with any kind of underbody protection when they were supplied for the Japanese Domestic Market. The first thing we did when we were selling them was to plaster them with wax oil or underseal as they came off the docks, a lot of dealers never bothered as doing it costs time and money - this had predictable results after a few years of driving on Britains salted roads.

And the last Series Landrovers I can remember were around 1983/4 ish so that makes them 30+ years old at the youngest...

I seem to see Pajeros everywhere, but probably because I have one, the 2.5d (2.8 diesel is the best, cam chain not belt).................. :)

The Shogun is the official import and the Pajero is a grey import, the Paj is higher spec ...........

But if after a Paj, go for the "winter Pack" model designed for the extreme North of Japan (12 feet of snow apparently) , 2 batterys and loads of other upgrades (not all at the same time tho)............
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Older auto diesel Pajero's (Mk1s?) are heavy on fuel though, even if you tweak the pump from memory 18/20 mpg doing stop start and a best ever of 26mpg on long motorway run.
As said the winter pack models do have loads of extras
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

preparedsurrey wrote:Older auto diesel Pajero's (Mk1s?) are heavy on fuel though, even if you tweak the pump from memory 18/20 mpg doing stop start and a best ever of 26mpg on long motorway run.
As said the winter pack models do have loads of extras
Yep 20mpg , but I do hardly any mileage so suits me :D
BigF

Post by BigF »

I'm getting 42mpg out of my XTrail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

32mpg in the patrol

Guess jap has its benifits
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
ggc

Post by ggc »

I currently have a Suzuki Jimny, which is a RWD part-time 4x4. I use mine a lot off road and it is very capable with very few modifications. It would be an okay BOV for me and maybe one other person, but it's too small for your needs.

If I were to get something bigger personally I would look at the 4wd Mitsubishi Delica. It has a similar length wheelbase to the 110 Defender and it has virtually the same running gear as a Shogun/Pajero from what I understand. It's capable enough off road and is absolutely HUGE inside. It's also very reliable - you've probably seen loads of these ones about and they are over 20 years old now.

Make sure you have a good long drive in anything you want to consider buying though. I love my Jimny but some people cannot stand it. Some people also find land rovers uncomfortable to drive. It's down to the individual really.
https://classichub.files.wordpress.com/ ... g_1306.jpg
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Ggc what about a trailer or a roof box to help with the capacity issue ?
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

I had a series 3 landy that was a pain as something went wrong with the engine and at the time being skint student and that bring my main transport had to go but so want another thirsty but great fun to drive. Had a fourtrak more comfy and ran on veg oil but bought with a dodgy mot as the back end fell off 3 and a half months after the test due to rust damp day and loads of underseal is my excuse would I have another prob not as it would be weekend car and a series is what I really want.

Test drive a few 4x4 see how they fit you as a driver. Do you want a load of mod cons or be able to fix yourself
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
cat72uk

Post by cat72uk »