What are we planning to grow this year?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Re: What are we planning to grow this year?

Post by diamond lil »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mard_soap/15840617044/

That's where I live. As you see I have problems with growing stuff that maybe you lot don't! lol
jansman

Post by jansman »

Challenging conditions there Diamond Lil. You won't be growing outdoor tomatoes up there.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ermm no, no I don't think so lol. I can grow them inside on the windowsills though. :mrgreen:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

featherstick wrote:
So what are we planning to grow?
Short answer is more.
In general I'll be growing pretty much the same as last year. Only differences are going to be I'm trying celeriac , sweet corn and possibly sweet potatoes.
One thing I'd like to try is a plant I saw on the Tudor monastery farm series and that is Alexanders
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smyrnium_olusatrum which would seem to be a good choice for a food crop that would be overlooked and wouldn't look out of place in the front garden . I've found seeds on eBay so might just give it a go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Herb-Seeds-Al ... 54011c9c43
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

We planted a blueberry in a container today, and I have a small fig waiting to go into a larger container as well. I've long wanted a fig and the missus loves blueberries, so hopefully we'll have something decent in the years to come.
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I think I may get a blueberry to add to my fruits -now raspberries,gooseberries and blackcurrants.
I've started to train a big bramble up the back shed -working with nature rather than against,this beastie is so well established I may as well make an asset of it.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Now I have the whole plot under cultivation, I'm planning on growing more of a few things things, rather than a few of a lot of things(if that makes sense!)
So plenty of spuds, peas, french beans, oca, sweetcorn, summer and winter squash onions(from sets), beetroot.
My perennial garden is coming on nicely and once the polytunnel is up that will be filled with toms, peppers and melons as well as other bits and bobs.
Can't wait!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Waterbaby wrote:I think I may get a blueberry to add to my fruits -now raspberries,gooseberries and blackcurrants.
I've started to train a big bramble up the back shed -working with nature rather than against,this beastie is so well established I may as well make an asset of it.
Brambles only fruit on the outermost whips so try and ensure as much as possible is on the outside, as it were.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

diamond lil wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/mard_soap/15840617044/

That's where I live. As you see I have problems with growing stuff that maybe you lot don't! lol

I'm sure you know this, but Real Seeds have many varieties of seed specially selected for short growing seasons.

realseeds.co.uk

And they are nice people.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yes FS, I get all my seeds from them, and they are really good and know their stuff. I'm wondering how beetroot would do and how long it takes to be ready?