A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by dangerman »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've added a Leatherman Tread to my EDC and overall, I'm quite pleased with how it performs. It's by no means a replacement for one of their full-size tools and you'd be disappointed if you expected it to perform like one but as a handy-to-have-to-hand non-lethal tool, it's well worth considering. The plus point for me is the belt cutter and glass breaker, two things I consider a must-have.
I've seen those before - I really like the watch version of it. But I'd worry that wearing it in public might make me look like an emo teenager. Have you had any use for it since you've been wearing it?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Must admit i have the same issue with keys (and our house has been fitted with matching key number locks so thats 4 keys down to 1)

my car keys have 12 on the bunch + the ruddy car key...

:?

ranging from the 3 for my trailer / security locks,

house key/ gate key / garage key

6 work keys Gates/ switchroom keys/ heating control unit key, plant machinery keys :roll:

and i have cut them down........

plus resussiade, sol whistle, Tritum glow stick :mrgreen:

issue with the solitare is the one cell giving 1.5v and the compact nature of the torch its mini SMD cree chip rather than the old hat 5mm led

and on the Titrium glow stick front i will raise it to EDC gadget status,.....

im a bugger for loosing my keys at home...

wait till dark turn the lights off and look for the glow :lol:

but on a serious note house keys at night and you need to find them fast to evacuate the house mrs andy leaves hers on the stairs at the top..... the orange glow is easy to see .....

my car keys are green glow and my house keys are white.. so even in the dark in our little dish we "hide" them in i can go in the pitch black and pick out the bunch of keys i want

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nite-glow-keyri ... B000EXZNAA
018MV3CM7PL.jpg
Grr, I want a glow stick now but if I add any more stuff to my keyring I'll end up with the dreaded... Prepper bulge. To match my usual bulge.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

dangerman wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've added a Leatherman Tread to my EDC and overall, I'm quite pleased with how it performs. It's by no means a replacement for one of their full-size tools and you'd be disappointed if you expected it to perform like one but as a handy-to-have-to-hand non-lethal tool, it's well worth considering. The plus point for me is the belt cutter and glass breaker, two things I consider a must-have.
I've seen those before - I really like the watch version of it. But I'd worry that wearing it in public might make me look like an emo teenager. Have you had any use for it since you've been wearing it?
I found wearing it on the opposite wrist to a steel watch drew attention to it. I now just wear the Tread with one of those Garmin gizmo fitness bands which has a watch display and also stops the Tread from slipping about. It's now a lot less conspicuous.

Yes, it's quite useful in emergency situations such as unscrewing the battery compartment on my nephew's Thomas the Tank Engine :-) Joking aside, it's not bad at all, I've used the wrenches and flat blades to adjust the chain on my saw, the cross heads have got me out trouble on a few occasions and the allen keys work very well. The downside is the tools have a limited access so if a screwhead is recessed or in a tight spot the Tread is not going to work well.

If you have a decent multi-tool already, then the Tread is a good addition to your kit but if you were considering it as your primary multi-tool, you'd be better off buying a Wave or Charge from the Leatherman range. The Tread is pricey and I only bought it as a treat for me due to an unexpected windfall from HMRC.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I actually really like the idea of the Tread. I've got tools coming out of my ears though so not sure if I really need anything like that. I wonder if there are any competitors similar which have different tools/ideas like it. I really like that it's supposed to be airport friendly. Wonder if it actually is.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:You could at a push just about read a map but its more a marker once your eyes get used to the dark they seem surprisingly bright I'll try and get some pics later

Thanks.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Here's my actual EDC load out, taken a few minutes ago once I'd sent the kids packing (to bed).

I have the second phone at the moment because I'm testing out phone service providers. I have a FreedomPop sim in my main phone, but none of my family know that number and I won't be giving it out until I know that I'm staying with them. The smaller phone has my old giffgaff sim in it who I've left in protest because they hiked their prices.

I'll add a list of everything that I have a bit later, but that wallet is a tardis, I've got a shedload of stuff in it.

Meantime - what do you lot think of this?

It's a tinderbox with a built in magnifying glass which looks to actually work according to YouTube vids that I've watched. I've been considering it for my car EDC to go with my mini kelly kettle. Any thoughts or suggestions?
metatron

Post by metatron »

dangerman wrote:Here's my actual EDC load out, taken a few minutes ago once I'd sent the kids packing (to bed).

I have the second phone at the moment because I'm testing out phone service providers. I have a FreedomPop sim in my main phone, but none of my family know that number and I won't be giving it out until I know that I'm staying with them. The smaller phone has my old giffgaff sim in it who I've left in protest because they hiked their prices.

I'll add a list of everything that I have a bit later, but that wallet is a tardis, I've got a shedload of stuff in it.

Meantime - what do you lot think of this?

It's a tinderbox with a built in magnifying glass which looks to actually work according to YouTube vids that I've watched. I've been considering it for my car EDC to go with my mini kelly kettle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I didn't even know he did a tinder box, but the cheese grater thing is odd, really odd. I'd sooner have a box with a rubber gasket that can hold cottonwool and such.
Last edited by metatron on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

The cheese grater is the appeal. You could store some cotton wool and whatever in it, but what will you use one it's used up? The cheese grater creates tinder which can be lit with the magnifying glass.

To be honest, I don't need it, I'll never use it. I just think it looks cool.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Briggs 2.0

Re:

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

dangerman wrote:The cheese grater is the appeal. You could store some cotton wool and whatever in it, but what will you use one it's used up? The cheese grater creates tinder which can be lit with the magnifying glass.

To be honest, I don't need it, I'll never use it. I just think it looks cool.

I'd be concerned with robustness. Won't there be an issue with attempting to cheese-grate tinder from wood, especially when the body of the grater is made from plastic? At the risk of sounding like an old record, I think it would be better to use the twig-in-a-metal-pencil-sharpener method and keep the sharpener in a watertight tin along with the usual stuff such as cotton wool, vaseline, char cloth, inner tube, etc, etc.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

That's a brilliant idea!

I've been intending to make a tinderbox for a while. That's how I'll do it. Nice one bud. I'll consider that £30 saved and put towards something useful. :D