Planting 2012

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Triple_sod

Re: Planting 2012

Post by Triple_sod »

In the house I’ve got my chillies, tomatoes and a lemon tree I planted around the same time. Just started some peas off down in the greenhouse, decided to do a few at a time so I’ll get some sort of successional harvest. That’s about it really for now, going the give the garden a good going over with the rotivater next week then it should be pretty much ready for when I start planting stuff out. :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Can you keep a lemon tree in the house ? What happens over winter ? I once had a Rumanian neighbour who had one in her kitchen but it was small. It was gorgeous.
Iderown

Post by Iderown »

I have managed to plant a few early potatos in tubs and a few rows of onions but its still cold here where I live to plant much more. I'll give it another couple of weeks and then start planting seeds in window boxes etc.

Have a small greenhouse which is good to start everything off early but I intend to get a bigger one soon...
Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

diamond lil wrote:Can you keep a lemon tree in the house ? What happens over winter ? I once had a Rumanian neighbour who had one in her kitchen but it was small. It was gorgeous.
From what I’ve read, they probably do need to spend at least a couple of months a year in the house. Citrus fruits can’t stand the cold and a few degrees under 0 is enough to kill even a mature lemon tree. Also heat is apparently the crucial factor as the fruit ripen, and they need a constant temperature of around 15 degrees.

Some people seem to get away with all this in a standard greenhouse, but I’ve seen mine drop down to -10 when it’s covered in snow. So I’m planning to keep mine indoors until may, stick it on the patio and then bring it back in when the cold comes back. According to John Seymour in the complete book of self-sufficiency though using that method it’s never going to make much of a tree or produce many lemons.

I reckon that’s down to it been confined to a pot, mines in a 25 litre which looked huge when I bought it but now I think on, it’d probably be happier in a 50. I don't think I'd be moving one of those outside though.. :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ok ta, might do ok as a wee pot plant then but after that its too much hassle for me :mrgreen:
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

Currently chitting Potatoes, may also put a bit of veg out in pots.

Raised beds very much in the planning stages.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Started a blog about starting an allotment from scratch. Only a few enteries so far but as you can see I have been busy getting it ready to plant stuff. Just bought a really cheep cold frame from Lidls and a 4m polly tunnel coche thingy So hopefully I can plant out my spuds that have chitted nicely and start a few seeds and salads off soon.

http://nessling.blog.co.uk/
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
hobo

Post by hobo »

Got some tatties in and peas and a gooseberry.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Far too early to start up here but I'm getting twitchy. Have started some very early lettuce and spinach and herbs on the windowsills. Been dry but dull and grey and 8C so not really happy gardening weather.
Chef

Post by Chef »

I've still gotta clear the winter weed remnants and put the lil greenhouse back up when I've cleaned the cover before I can start planting this year, the weathers not too bad but the get up and go, got up and buggered off. :(

Mind you if I get out there and make a start I might just get a "Hey Dad you wanna hand with that?"

My gardens' not massive but there's only the 2 of us so it 'should' be able to cover all of our veggie needs over the year. Hmmmm, tomorrow, if it's not raining or gale force winds like last week I'll make a start, reading about everyone else doing things is giving me some more incentive. :D

S