Dog food?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
lightningxl

Re: Dog food?

Post by lightningxl »

Emotive subject - but people were warned might not be to everyone taste. Unless your a vegetarian, if you eat "commercial" so call normal meat you're on dodge moral grounds.

By small scale farming rabbit for family/dog consumption YOU have compleat control over the welfare of the livestock and the knowledge of providence - unlike cheap supermarket chicken imported from dubious sources.

Personaly have no problem with this but can uderstand those who find it upsetting...
The-Great-Nothing

Dog food?

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi

I am vegi but feed my dog tinned meat. Would love to go down a similar route to this but don't have the space (or at this time, balls) to do it.

Hate to think the conditions "pet food animals" are kept in.

As per a previous poster said : if you are in control of your food sources - you are in control of the welfare and quality too.

Cheers

Matt
bigwaves

Post by bigwaves »

As already said, may not be to everyone's taste but is what prepping is?
Plantiejo

Post by Plantiejo »

We have visited an area in France, south of Grenoble in the Southern Alps, several times. There we have been fed rabbit and seen rabbits and chickens being raised in the gardens for human and dog consumption.
The locals also go hunting in the mountains, organised into hunting groups that share the 'catch'. Many parts of the various animals caught and reared are put aside to be fed to the dogs. The dogs use a lot of calories running out on the mountain during the hunting and they need good quality food.
The amazing thing about the shooting groups is that when the animals are being butchered by the group after hunting, at their meeting place/club house (normally part of a local farm).....all the families are there too, babies, toddlers, teenagers, grannies, etc. everyone comes in to see and share the occasion. It seems very natural to me. Kids grow up knowing where their food comes from and their dogs look really fit and healthy.
Everyone has skills...share your skills....keep them alive. :)

AREA 1
unsure

Post by unsure »

today of all days , ive had to make the very painfull decision and have my gsd put to sleep :cry: .
so for know i dont need To store pet food . i al so know later in the year i`ll be getting another not only as a pet but because you can`t beat a good loyal dog .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
junmist

Post by junmist »

Sorry to hear that unsure my thoughts are with you
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
unsure

Post by unsure »

junmist wrote:Sorry to hear that unsure my thoughts are with you
thanks for your thoughts
. the house seems so empty .mrs unsure says she wants another asap and for once i`m inclinded to agree with her .i might go and look about at the weekend .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Trish52

Post by Trish52 »

unsure wrote:today of all days , ive had to make the very painfull decision and have my gsd put to sleep :cry: .
so for know i dont need To store pet food . i al so know later in the year i`ll be getting another not only as a pet but because you can`t beat a good loyal dog .
Aww noo :( I have a Shar Pei, moody buggers but they're lovely! Get one of those :) Also have a Yorkie/Chihuahua... She's the definition of evil :twisted:
Optimystic

Post by Optimystic »

Going to start adding some doggie treats and toys to my stores also.. as well as cat stuff.
They will be pretty housebound in the event of anything untoward kicking off so dont want them to be bored.. Also, think about toilet habits.. cat boxes are great if you have the litter to go in them.. tho i guess we could use mud from the garden..
Ive bought the dogs muzzles so they can go outside in the garden and keep quiet..
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

Optimystic wrote:Going to start adding some doggie treats and toys to my stores also.. as well as cat stuff.
They will be pretty housebound in the event of anything untoward kicking off so dont want them to be bored.. Also, think about toilet habits.. cat boxes are great if you have the litter to go in them.. tho i guess we could use mud from the garden..
Ive bought the dogs muzzles so they can go outside in the garden and keep quiet..

for the cat box i was thinking of some sand as if worst came to worst you could wash the sand and reuse it (after the kitty litter ran out but hopefully before the rum does :lol: .