Rabbits - Nutrition

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
junmist

Re: Rabbits - Nutrition

Post by junmist »

Bumped this post again as I was wondering if any one would know if the same problem would happen with guinea pigs.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

all I know about Guinea pigs is that it is eaten a lot in Peru. see below article.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/0 ... uinea-pigs

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Prepshire

Post by Prepshire »

Have been breeding rabbits for meat for a while now We find we get a good yield from them, whilst yes rabbit starvation is out there someone has been telling me about dried worm powder supposedly full of the nutrients rabbit lacks and suggested that could be used in a survival or SHTF situation.
thoughts?
Michael
Prepshire
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

just make up a game stew with rabbits, and say: pheasant or woodpigeon, add a lump of pork and your set to go!!
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Rabbit/Hare is good meat, but lean. You really need fat to get energy into your body fast. Rabbit starvation is a fact and whilst you may well enjoy the meat as a part of a high protein diet where will the fat come from? You need to add to the meat, good be pork fat, could be Ghee/butter is better perhaps. Lean meat and greens make up part of a balanced diet but by no means all of it,
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote:Hi,

Your mate was talking about rabbit starvation, due to a deficiency of essential fatty acids in the meat.

Rabbit is fine if you eat some of what the rabbit does.

Have a balanced diet, not just rabbit meat and you'll be fine.

HTH
I breed rabbits for meat. I eat them and sell to a packing station I deal with through work. I eat rabbit at least once a week. Pseudonym summed it up early on. So called rabbit starvation occurs when that is ALL you eat. Rabbit is good meat.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
SoCal92057

Post by SoCal92057 »

If you oppose hunting as a source of food, remember wild animals don't pass away in comfort, sedated by veterinary medication. They usually die a violent, agonizing death. Though a hunter's snare, bullet or arrow can cause a wild animal pain and trauma, such a death is no worse than the other ways wildlife perish. A rabbit not snared or shot will eventually be killed by a car, predator, exposure, or starvation. An old, weakened rabbit doesn't die in its sleep. It gets caught by a hawk and eaten. Hunters don't do individual wild animals any favors by killing them, but they also don't do anything unnaturally cruel.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

SoCal92057 wrote:If you oppose hunting as a source of food..........
Nope, just as a source of fun.

I wonder if anyone plants stuff in their garden to encourage Thumper & co to visit?
Seeing as you own the game on your land wouldn't it be an idea to tempt it to come calling ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
SoCal92057

Post by SoCal92057 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
SoCal92057 wrote:If you oppose hunting as a source of food..........
Nope, just as a source of fun.

I wonder if anyone plants stuff in their garden to encourage Thumper & co to visit?
Seeing as you own the game on your land wouldn't it be an idea to tempt it to come calling ?
I don't know of any hunter who does not enjoy the hunt. Eating the kill is the norm.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Interesting Fact; Rabbit is a Maltese Delicacy, fried, stewed, roasted, bake, poached, they love it and it is usually served with the head attached so you know it is Rabbit and not cat
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.