Timekeeping/telling the time!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
munchh

Re: Timekeeping/telling the time!

Post by munchh »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8876

Get them while they are hot, Mrs.Munchh just got me one of these for Christmas, i think he is taking a best offer of £30, just what i was after. :)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

munchh wrote:viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8876

Get them while they are hot, Mrs.Munchh just got me one of these for Christmas, i think he is taking a best offer of £30, just what i was after. :)
I don't think thats the link you were trying to post here....I've already read about the Trike
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Post by munchh »

oops :oops: thanks mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251392678273? ... 351wt_1172

lets try that one
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

just done some googling for those of you who may be curious about the sundial idea.

However, from personal experience of being unemployed, I dint really need to know much about what time of day it was unless I had an official appointment (job interview, sign on time etc).

http://www.rmg.co.uk/make-your-own/sundial
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
stevegray

Post by stevegray »

Casio PRW-5100-1ER (http://www.protrek.eu/euro/models/prw-5100-1er/). Solar charging, analog dial, compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer, radio time synch.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I haven't worn a watch for years and years. Provided I have seen the time at some point that day, I can usually tell the time to the nearest 15-20 mins or so. I spent a couple of years working for on the photo counter at boots taking in peoples roll film for developing, and so 2 years of continually looking up to check the time to write it on the slip as I took in each film, has seemingly programmed my mind to a certain degree. Sometimes I can be way out, but normally 90-95%, I am pretty close. Of course in our current world you need to be able to tell the time to the nearest minute for appointments and the like, but in a SHTF world, I am sure most of us would be able to cope with a rough approximation - that and coupled with where the sun is in the sky on a good day - or the light levels in the morning when you wake up. For example I know that the sun rises after 7am atm, so if its still dark when I wake up, I just go back to sleep knowing that the alarm will go off later. That way I don't look at the time and realise I only have a hours sleep till it goes off, and then spend the next 30 mins trying to go back to sleep! *groan*

Anyhoos as far as watches go, if I were to get one, I would probably go for an anologue kenetic watch as they seem to go on for ever, provided its a well made one. No worries for batteries there.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a Timex 'outdoor' watch. It is plastic,waterproof and tough. Battery power, granted, but accurate. It is also easy to use. I don't use a mobile phone that much. Unlike my Girls and the rest of the population, I don't feel a 'need' to be lookin' at one every 10 seconds. :D
I had a situation a few years ago where I spent 23 hours in a police cell. Not only was I stripped of my possessions, I was also denied access to timekeeping. THAT is the most disorientating situation ever. We live in a world dictated by the 24 hr clock.
Forget the idea of 'instinctive' timing or watching the sun(what a load of tripe) right now you need a timepiece. We could not navigate the seas without a reliable one after all.
The comment about calenders and crops earlier was also a very good one.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thing is:
If you know GMT and your Local time difference you can calculate the date by measuring noon.

If you know the date and Local time difference you can calculate GMT.

If you know the date and GMT you can calculate Local time difference (ie Longitude).

So, for many things a reliable timepiece becomes important
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

My guess for a watch is one of those auto wind watches that wind with the motion of your movement.. mechanical watches i think they are called....

or a good old fashioned sundial..

bit hairy for my liking hahahaha :lol:
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author