Bugging Out ?

Homes and Retreats
Chef

Re: Bugging Out ?

Post by Chef »

Oooh, bout 2 hours I reckon, never steamed it and we normally stop off at another fort first, I'll have to ask the Capt. :)

Bout time we went for another trip and repaired that landing stage and put a new ally ladder on there, getting from the boat to that landing beam is the worst bit, you just have to kinda jump and hope you hit a solid bit, missing doesn't bear thinking about, but we've safely got 14 people off the boat and onto the fort before (did have to rope a few mind) so it's usable as a BOL.

I'll do a weekender out there in the summer and do a diary of the experience, need to source a decent solar charger for the cams n stuff but there's already fuel lamps and fuel and a bbq and charcoal out there so won't need to take too much gear. :)

Must say I'm looking forward to the pics of your place, I'm intrigued, I love hideaways and stuff. :)
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Well leaving to take the pictures now! :)
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You're kind of painting yourself into a corner out there. Surrounded by water but what if you run out of water? If somebody came and nobbled your boats you're stuffed.
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

diamond lil wrote:You're kind of painting yourself into a corner out there. Surrounded by water but what if you run out of water? If somebody came and nobbled your boats you're stuffed.
Wouldn't be difficult to rig up a desalination plant - I remember a Ray Mears program about one of the first white men to explore the Australian Desert. When he was low on water he came across a salt water spring, so he used a large water boiler with a lid and a spout, boiled salt water and captured the steam out of the spout into a container. Distilled desalinated water.
Chef

Post by Chef »

Yeah water would never be a problem, as for the boat being nobbled, I reckon there's alot more chance of someone trying to break into your house in town than them getting on a boat, finding you in the first place, and all that just on the off chance that someone is out there with something they need?

Much easier pickings to be had on land than at sea for the would be prepper raider/looter.
chris8472

Post by chris8472 »

Chef wrote:
Huntsman wrote:Would the boat be big enough to cross the North sea, because if you go to one if the costal forests of Norway, I can assure you that you will never see another person again. Oh and its full of fish, game and wild plants!
Well this ones the smallest so...

Pic taken from an awesome BOL which already has supplies on it. :mrgreen:

Solid as a rock, except the only way on and off which is the ladder

what where them platforms in the sea are thay from the gas or oil industree or something else looks like something out of the film waterworld or mad max :?
Slimslim

Post by Slimslim »

They're WW2 sea forts, btw chef so tempted to join you out on these if the shtf......
Chef

Post by Chef »

chris8472 wrote:what where them platforms in the sea are thay from the gas or oil industree or something else looks like something out of the film waterworld or mad max :?
Hehe, no they're old Maunsell Forts from the 2nd WW off the East Coast, normally built in groups of 7 to spot and shoot down bombers and mine droppers and stop them them interfering with the shipping fleets.

When you see em coming out of the mist it's kinda like war of the worlds though ;)

Welcome Slimslim plenty of room dude :)
Last edited by Chef on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slimslim

Post by Slimslim »

Aye just need some transport now :D