Bugging Out ?

Homes and Retreats
Chef

Re: Bugging Out ?

Post by Chef »

You get the land transport I'll sort out the water lol.

I've only been on one so far the others need either a grappling hook like the Knock John Fort or shinning up the legs with webbing straps like tree huggers, bit of a climb but once up a quick rope ladder drop and all done, wouldn't be the first time, might be cracking on a bit but give me something to get into like that and I'm up for it. ;)
Slimslim

Post by Slimslim »

Land transport is good for me! :D

Btw water problem solved by building a couple of these - http://scienceforums.com/topic/17837-so ... gineering/

Then mix that with a aqua-ponic system and you have fresh veggies!
Chef

Post by Chef »

The more I think about it the better it looks, water was never a prob anyway, heat still, solar still, there's a ruddy great platform on top of all of those forts, will dig out some pics, perfect for barbies in the summer and with growbags, perfect for growing veg too, the places are natural reefs, loads of lobsters, crabs, shellfish from rope lines and nets, fish of all descriptions.

Loads of high quality protein which everyone on land will be gagging for, easy to barter that for veg, carbs and fuel, come in once a week, once fortnight/month, drop off loads of fresh fish, go back out. Easy to defend, can see a boat coming for miles but they can't see you in amongst those towers even on radar. Perfick ;)

And not forgetting that seaweed is packed with vits and minerals anyway and all edible. :D

It's a few miles from the biggest wind farm on the Kent coast so good to have a few wind turbines for power too.
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Chef wrote:The more I think about it the better it looks, water was never a prob anyway, heat still, solar still, there's a ruddy great platform on top of all of those forts, will dig out some pics, perfect for barbies in the summer and with growbags, perfect for growing veg too, the places are natural reefs, loads of lobsters, crabs, shellfish from rope lines and nets, fish of all descriptions.

Loads of high quality protein which everyone on land will be gagging for, easy to barter that for veg, carbs and fuel, come in once a week, once fortnight/month, drop off loads of fresh fish, go back out. Easy to defend, can see a boat coming for miles but they can't see you in amongst those towers even on radar. Perfick ;)

And not forgetting that seaweed is packed with vits and minerals anyway and all edible. :D

It's a few miles from the biggest wind farm on the Kent coast so good to have a few wind turbines for power too.
Sounds like all that's missing is a high powered rifle to puncture any pirate full boats
Chef

Post by Chef »

[Chef wonders about Huntsmans' choice of nicknames and the chances of 'borrowing' said missing item, come SHTF LOL] ;)

True, crossbow maybe, longbow, could even dredge up some rocks at a push, or boiling seawater like the good old days in the castles. Nah I reckon they'd all be fighting it out on land still or looking for ocean cruisers/tankers/cargo ships out in the channel.
moocher

Post by moocher »

just wondering how would you stop the boat from getting smashed to bits when moored in storms?
Chef

Post by Chef »

Good point, where they are isn't that exposed but would still take a bit of a beating (depending on wind direction), never been out there in a storm so far so see what the state of the sea is like around them, ideally a small dinghy/rib would be the best bet tethered on the lower platform and the winch would have to be got working again to lower it down, the main boat would have to be anchored more inshore I guess. All good fun eh. :D

I'll sort out another trip soon and really take a good look round, half my pics are elsewhere atm and it's so long ago I can't remember the layout completely, pretty sure the lower deck is open in the middle, dunno, will get a load more pics anyway. Be interesting to open up one of those cans for starters, they were well past sell by when I was last out there, and they're not in a nice dry house, I wonder what they're like now. :)
lasttruebreed

Post by lasttruebreed »

I've had a bug out cottage in the middle of no where for years and visit it every couple of months to either stash things nearby or to make general repairs. I've no worries about people stumbling across it because of it's location, i don't have to worry about storing water because well it's in Scotland. Within my stashes I've been growing a steady supply of seeds that can reproduce after their first planting and survive well with cold weather. I've started stocking up on building materials (nails wood and such) after reading someone else's survival blog as these are items overlooked by preppers and are useful after SHTF. Not sure what else to add just now as I'm trying to write this on my phone while at work (i have a lot of free time) but will add updates later on.
tigs

Post by tigs »

bugging outs not really an option for us but thats ok , 7 years ago we bought a small farm that had been deserted since 1986, its in a secluded and hard to find location but close to town , its made secluded by a motorway that cut the only road to the property when it was built , the only way on to the proprerty is via a slip road and bridge . since buying the property we have added a sewage digester with soakaway system, a water bore hole, a ground source heat pump and most recently Photovoltaic system after our aging diesel generator packed up for good , we have quite a large vegtable patch , chickens, geese , 4 goats and a couple of pigs so we are not bad off for food and i guess will be a lot better off than most people if shtf
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

tigs wrote:bugging outs not really an option for us but thats ok , 7 years ago we bought a small farm that had been deserted since 1986, its in a secluded and hard to find location but close to town , its made secluded by a motorway that cut the only road to the property when it was built , the only way on to the proprerty is via a slip road and bridge . since buying the property we have added a sewage digester with soakaway system, a water bore hole, a ground source heat pump and most recently Photovoltaic system after our aging diesel generator packed up for good , we have quite a large vegtable patch , chickens, geese , 4 goats and a couple of pigs so we are not bad off for food and i guess will be a lot better off than most people if shtf

je suis tres jealous..... :mrgreen: