What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Arzosah »

12mp82 wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I bought a solar panel to trickle charge a car battery! Reduced to £9.99 from £19.99 at Maplins.
How good are they at this time of year? I ask as I drive to work in the dark, I drive home in the dark, and as it is winter the fan for the heater is running on both journeys, would it generate enough charge in the few hours I am not driving to make it worth while?
Sorry, I've only just seen your query. I haven't tried it out yet, it *says* this:
- works even if the weather is overcast or dull
- built-in blocking diode prevents reverse charging.
- blue flashing LED charge indicator
- interchangeable connectors: cigarette lighter plug and crocodile clips
- durable ABS outer casing
- suction cups for easy mounting

Sounds okay for a tenner. We'll see :)
junmist

Post by junmist »

the7ps wrote:This Monday my wife and I took a MASSIVE prepper step and got a puppy! I wanted something that would be useful in a SHTF scenario. I wanted something that could, worst case scenario track and kill a man, something that could tear meat limb from limb so that we could eat. And so, we now have... a PUG!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

Arzosah wrote:
12mp82 wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I bought a solar panel to trickle charge a car battery! Reduced to £9.99 from £19.99 at Maplins.
How good are they at this time of year? I ask as I drive to work in the dark, I drive home in the dark, and as it is winter the fan for the heater is running on both journeys, would it generate enough charge in the few hours I am not driving to make it worth while?
Sorry, I've only just seen your query. I haven't tried it out yet, it *says* this:
- works even if the weather is overcast or dull
- built-in blocking diode prevents reverse charging.
- blue flashing LED charge indicator
- interchangeable connectors: cigarette lighter plug and crocodile clips
- durable ABS outer casing
- suction cups for easy mounting

Sounds okay for a tenner. We'll see :)

We have one of those on what you could call our bug out trailer, it's very good and will charge a leisure battery no problem from empty to full in about 12 hours.
Sam

Area 9
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Maddosammo wrote:We have one of those on what you could call our bug out trailer, it's very good and will charge a leisure battery no problem from empty to full in about 12 hours.
Do I have this correct a Solar-Powered 12V 1.5W Battery Trickle Charger will charge an empty leisure battery to full in 12 hrs :shock:

I think I need to learn more about electronics and calculations to see how it does this. :?
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

12mp82 wrote:
Maddosammo wrote:We have one of those on what you could call our bug out trailer, it's very good and will charge a leisure battery no problem from empty to full in about 12 hours.
Do I have this correct a Solar-Powered 12V 1.5W Battery Trickle Charger will charge an empty leisure battery to full in 12 hrs :shock:

I think I need to learn more about electronics and calculations to see how it does this. :?

I'm not to sure actually if it was 12 hrs as it was on constant trickle charge into the battery but it did charge it fairly quickly.

EDIT: asked my father the battery will power something small after about 12/24hrs depending on sunlight but will be more charged after a week.

Apologies for miss information I had my facts incorrect.
Sam

Area 9
cheshirekat

Post by cheshirekat »

just ordered 240 x 2litre bottles of water (they come in packs of eight & should last 3 months) from morrisons, total cost £43.20. Not sure if i done the right thing but hey ho it has been one of my fears of not having any drinking water. It's a lot of bottles that I have to store and the best before date is at least a year on. we drink 2/3 bottles a day so they'll not go to waste and until I can work out how to get a safe drinking supply sorted that will suit my requirements and budget they will take one thing off my mind.
chris8472

Post by chris8472 »

cheshirekat wrote:just ordered 240 x 2litre bottles of water (they come in packs of eight & should last 3 months) from morrisons, total cost £43.20. Not sure if i done the right thing but hey ho it has been one of my fears of not having any drinking water. It's a lot of bottles that I have to store and the best before date is at least a year on. we drink 2/3 bottles a day so they'll not go to waste and until I can work out how to get a safe drinking supply sorted that will suit my requirements and budget they will take one thing off my mind.
save your empty bottles refill them from the tap the water be ok for 6 months and you save £43.20 as well or use them for storing rice or for homebrew beer
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

cheshirekat wrote:just ordered 240 x 2litre bottles of water (they come in packs of eight & should last 3 months) from morrisons, total cost £43.20. Not sure if i done the right thing but hey ho it has been one of my fears of not having any drinking water. It's a lot of bottles that I have to store and the best before date is at least a year on. we drink 2/3 bottles a day so they'll not go to waste and until I can work out how to get a safe drinking supply sorted that will suit my requirements and budget they will take one thing off my mind.
Wow, that's about half a tonne of water :shock:

I just use the tap on the kitchen sink for my water, fill and store, rotate it every six months, unless needed in between, have a lot of camping containers I can use if there is a problem with the local supply that I can top out with extra water from other sources should it be an extended period :mrgreen:

1000ltrs of tap water is less than a fiver if on a meter. :shock:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

redskies

Post by redskies »

We've got a known about interruption in supply all day on Thursday this week. So we'll fill a variety of containers, including the bath and some buckets for flushing. Just in case! Worst comes to worst, there's a kettle at the new shop.

Video I put up earlier was showing a sustainable house in the Andaman Islands, built with a tank under it that holds 10,000L, filled from rain catching. Just a simple hand pump to bring it up.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Were putting a rainwater harvester in on our house , will be used to feed the washing machine and toilet flushes , which will take the demand off cold water tank giving us a better store for when problems hit .

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.