A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

metatron wrote:
jansman wrote:Nice gear there. Regarding the lock picks, we all know they are available to buy, but can we steer away from that subject please ? As already mentioned, carrying them can create legal problems, as it can be seen ( quite rightly imo) as 'going equipped'. Let's keep it legal. Thanks.
It's widely accepted as a prepping skill globally. Understanding how locks work, is like understanding how a car works, if not more important as you can live without a car, try living without locks. For example both locksmiths and mechanics, can and will rip you off, charging you for things that don't need to happen and using crappy parts.

Lockpicking as a skill will teach you how to remove a broken key out of your own locks and access your home, saving yourself hundreds of pounds, as locksmiths as a whole will try and use a key extractor, then drill or pull the lock out and charge you for a new cylinder and keys. Sure there are a few good locksmith around, but they are in the minority, its about getting the most amount of money from each job.

Other things you learn is how to repin a lock, which means you can reuse and repair your locks, which will save you a lot over your lifetime. This skill will also allow you to buy old locks without keys and repin it to suit a key you have, as well as using security pins, increasing its security.

Finally lockpicking will teach you how to buy locks. I see people talking about securing their homes and gardens, yet if you looked at their locks, you will likely see a own brand Wicks or B&Q, possibly even a Master Lock, knowing they are pieces of trash, that can be opened in under 2 seconds will allow you to better protect yourself, your family and your home, which are all major parts of prepping.

Lockpicking and lock sports are completely legal and a fun and useful hobby.
EMT wrote:I tried picking for a bit and was good fun and yeah like you used a basic set, really easy once you have a cutaway lock.

Any experience with pick guns or bump keys?
Picking guns work, but they're a waste of money as if you can use a picking gun to open a lock, you can use a rake quicker and cheaper. I've use bump keys but again I don't see the point in most situations, the only thing's that come in useful besides a basic set of picks is a set of shims for some padlocks, disk detainer picks and dimple picks/rakes.
I'm going to have to agree here to a point..

As an avid cyclist i was made aware via cycling forums as to the insecure insurance approved kryptonite new York bike locks that could be opened using a humble bic Biro.

So got in touch with the seller and they looped me to Kryptonite who replaced my lock FOC :mrgreen:

I use bump keys and picks at work

Though last week drifting 2 hinge pins was a faster moe

As for most UK homes youtube euro cylinder lock snapping its been publicised on the media but its not well known but a common method used by thieves

Local plumber has had a run of bad luck.. All the best locks... They used a flag stone from his patio to shatter his sliding patio door glass to swipe his TV / iPad......

Then his caravan went caught on his CCTV they used oxygen and acetylene to chop the hitch locks and wheel clamps off

Many peoples edc of a multitool can be seen as enough for going equipped if you upset a police officer..

My car currently has a tool bag with a large ballpein hammer several crow bars screwdrivers punches and spanners / grips big braker bar sockets et all. I use them at work but it lives in my boot 24/7 but all of these could be seen as going equipped if plod wanted to

Taken in context a landlord / buildings and facility maintenance manager / builder would get away with the stuff above but a shelf stacker at Tesco wouldn't have a leg to limp on if caught with any of the above items on their person at any time...

Bit like a fixed blade knife on a camp site which no one would bat an eye at but a campsite is seen as a public place...

Bit like a toddlers cutlery set I saw today with a 18+ sticker on it :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Then his caravan went caught on his CCTV they used oxygen and acetylene to chop the hitch locks and wheel clamps off
:
A friend of mine is a keen caravanner and uses caravan forums . Seems thefts like that were reduced when some started to fill the box sections of wheel locks with petrol. There was , he told me , at least one thief who ended up with third degree burns. Serves him right.
jansman

Post by jansman »

All points are understood, all scenarios are noted. UK Preppers will NOT be the first on the Google list for the subject of lock picking. I have not removed the posts about this equipment, the purchase and use is up to the individual. Move on from this subject or the thread gets locked.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Safety-Es ... 1788081894

i have these in my car, in my travel bag in a molle pouch on the outside of my pack (uk only or it gets suitcased)
reason:

trapped in the car following an accident such as ending up in deep water or bent car door preventing escape...

on trains or bus to aid escape along with seatbelt cutter

in a hotel to escape through double glazed restricted opening windows.....

used my edc sperderco Honey bee knife on my car keys yesterday when the iccle one managed to get a loop of her "pet dog" soft toys whiskers wrapped round her finger to the point the tip was going blue.... to the shocked look of passers by as i opened the knife in the middle of Tesco despite Mrs andy trying to calm and untwist "doggie" wrangling a very upset child whilst i got my knife onto the task in hand... perfect size for the job and rather sharp :mrgreen: although i got a stern telling off for hurting Doggie strangely all was forgotten by the time we got to the sweet isle :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Also for those of us who carry handbags, a good tip is to always zip it closed, put the seatbelt through the handles or strap so if you do end up upside down your bag hasn't emptied all over the floor and you could access the contents to call for help.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Best thing for popping windows IMO is an automatic centre punch, never failed me as a kid.

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Sold my trusty old LG G3 and I've gone for a Sony Z5 Compact.

Logic is, as I've said before, I don't want to end up out of reach of Jack Bauer's rescue capabilities - waterproof phone will sort that out.

Since I don't have the changeable battery capability anymore my EDC has had to change slightly. I've removed the spare battery from my wallet and now I'm carrying an EasyAcc All-In-One, 2600mah power bank. It's bulky and annoying, and it takes a good while to charge my phone, but it's better than going without any back up at all. It gives my phone about 60% charge. This could have been better, but the battery is old now so I'm still pleased that it's performing so well. Also, the Z5 has really good battery compared to my old LG so I have been managing quite easily without using the battery very often.

The power bank looks like this:

Unfortunately, though, they don't make this model anymore and for some reason nobody else does anything similar either. From what I can see anyway. This is annoying because not needing to carry any cables is a massive bonus.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Do any of you lot carry a pen drive on your keys or a stashed micro USB in your wallet? I did for a bit once, emergency information and various books and documents that might have been useful, but I ended up repurposing my memory card and never went back.

Now I'm thinking of making a £20 investment in a 128gb memory card so that I can put wikipedia on it amongst all that other stuff again. Wikipedia offline - now that's handy!

The urban prepper did a video on it recently and it looks like a no brainer. A questionable account of the entire (modern & western) human knowledge that fits in your phone. It's never going to acquire you a PhD but it will give you a run down on pretty much any subject known to man.

Good idea?
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

dangerman wrote:Do any of you lot carry a pen drive on your keys or a stashed micro USB in your wallet? I did for a bit once, emergency information and various books and documents that might have been useful, but I ended up repurposing my memory card and never went back.

Now I'm thinking of making a £20 investment in a 128gb memory card so that I can put wikipedia on it amongst all that other stuff again. Wikipedia offline - now that's handy!

The urban prepper did a video on it recently and it looks like a no brainer. A questionable account of the entire (modern & western) human knowledge that fits in your phone. It's never going to acquire you a PhD but it will give you a run down on pretty much any subject known to man.

Good idea?
How on earth do you do that?
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Here, have a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuT_YFCruU

128gb pens and cards are readily available from amazon and eBay for cheap. Just make sure you know how to spot a fake.