A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by Deeps »

I've got a 32GB small metal stick I carry in my wallet, its mostly used to transfer visual entertainment mediums (get your thoughts out of the gutter people :lol: ) between some of the dog walking mafia. I was planning on putting a load of personal info on there but realistically I'd need a second stick, one for my info and some handy publications and the other for the aforementioned.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Yes, we all have legitimate media that we like to transport occasionally *ahem*.

I've seen 128gb Sandisk Ultra Class 10 cards (not good enough for GoPro but fine for phones and cameras) sell for less than a tenner occasionally on eBay. I'm gonna try and get one for £15. I think that would be a good deal and I'll partition it so that I can have Wiki and some other media on one part and an encrypted other part with all my important info on.

I used to find it quite handy actually, I used my old card to print off uni documents while I was at work a few times. It would be endlessly useful if travelling abroad if Britain leaves the UK. No more friendly nicey continental transport for us eh?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

dangerman wrote:Here, have a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuT_YFCruU

128gb pens and cards are readily available from amazon and eBay for cheap. Just make sure you know how to spot a fake.
Thank you, I'll have to have a go at this.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

dangerman wrote:
I used to find it quite handy actually, I used my old card to print off uni documents while I was at work a few times. It would be endlessly useful if travelling abroad if Britain leaves the UK. No more friendly nicey continental transport for us eh?
I don't foresee travel in Europe becoming any more difficult than it is now but the one thing you must be prepared for, and I certainly don't want to be seen here as supporting PROJECT FEAR but I definitely heard that there are plans in the Leave camp to revert to 3.5" floppies by 2018.

Nah, just kidding.

I get that you can view it on a computer but how do you plan to view the data when you're mobile? I use an iPhone, I can't put SD cards or USB sticks into it. Can you do that on Android phones? I've toyed with the idea of a Raspberry Pi as a cheap portable data carrier but not got far with that. What are you planning to use when you're portable?

EDIT: I do apologise, I am old and I was unaware of neat gadgets like the Leef which appears to store and display PDFs. I'll have to look into this a bit more on the inter web. This could possibly mean I can stop printing out the Wikipedia.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
dangerman wrote:
I don't foresee travel in Europe becoming any more difficult than it is now but the one thing you must be prepared for, and I certainly don't want to be seen here as supporting PROJECT FEAR but I definitely heard that there are plans in the Leave camp to revert to 3.5" floppies by 2018.

Nah, just kidding.

I get that you can view it on a computer but how do you plan to view the data when you're mobile? I use an iPhone, I can't put SD cards or USB sticks into it. Can you do that on Android phones? I've toyed with the idea of a Raspberry Pi as a cheap portable data carrier but not got far with that. What are you planning to use when you're portable?

EDIT: I do apologise, I am old and I was unaware of neat gadgets like the Leef which appears to store and display PDFs. I'll have to look into this a bit more on the inter web. This could possibly mean I can stop printing out the Wikipedia.

For android or windows phone you can get a otg cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16118588 ... noapp=true
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

dangerman wrote:
Before the EU you could travel to France without a passport, just pick up a card from the docks as you left.
I travelled before the freedom of movement stuff came in and to be honest I think there are more checks now to get into and out of Britain than there ever were before....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Going to the EU is always going to be doable. Tourism and what not depend on it, but they don't need to be nice to you while you're doing it. I remember as a kid going to Spain on a coach that we were boarded and all passports meticulously checked by the French, and then the Spanish. It only eased up in the late 90s as far as I can remember, but I've never been a frequent traveller. With all the racism, nationalism and xenophobia on the increase now security is bound to get tighter from now on.

Regarding reading the information on the SD card, yes, I can read it on my android, iPhones are a bad choice for a prepper because as soon as Apple decided they want to promote their new model the old ones become obsolete. They are incredibly restrictive too, and charge for every little useful app unless you want to pay.

If you had Wiki on a micro SD card you could put it into a USB card reader to access the info on any computer, or you could just stick it into the slot of any android or windows phone or tablet. I won't know if I'll download the mobile version until I actually do it yet though. You can get SD card readers that have a proper USB and a micro USB too, they let you access the information on your phone or tablet without putting it into the phone's card slot.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

This little beauty is now part of my EDC, I don't know how I've survived for so long without it.

Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
munchh

Post by munchh »

Comon, what is it :?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Home made ?
Reminds me of a gerber shard .

Come on tell
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.