What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by itsybitsy »

Brambles wrote:Have a job interview this week, if I get it I should be able to leave the benefit system behind!
Ooooh, how exciting. Good luck B!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Brambles wrote:Have a job interview this week, if I get it I should be able to leave the benefit system behind!

Good Luck. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Definitely good luck.

I have had fun trying to find space in my cupboards for the tinned foods. Some of which will be good until 2017.
If i carry on getting little more at a time with each progressive shopping load, I will have to start coming up with clever places to put stuff.

But that is a challenge for another day.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Thanks, all. :) Interview is on thurday afternoon, will keep you all informed!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good luck Brambles!

Still no idea what a capping stove is ... would be nice to know.

Did a bit of a recce on Saturday to the big chandler's in Sussex, Dockerills, scouted out some prices for things I want - hurricane lamps, galvanised buckets, stuff like that. For items that are actual preps, rather than extra food, I must say I like to pay cash if I can.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Arzosah wrote:Good luck Brambles!

Did a bit of a recce on Saturday to the big chandler's in Sussex, Dockerills, scouted out some prices for things I want - hurricane lamps, galvanised buckets, stuff like that. For items that are actual preps, rather than extra food, I must say I like to pay cash if I can.

Why galvanized buckets , just nosey ?
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

poppypiesdad wrote:

I like Galvanized buckets, last longer than plastic ones and you can boil water in them :mrgreen:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

junmist

Post by junmist »

luck Brambles
added some food preps to the monthly shop with out anyone moaning about them but had trouble finding a spam tin with out a pull tap top can anyone tell me if they have manged to find one and where did they get it from.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

12mp82 wrote:
poppypiesdad wrote:

I like Galvanized buckets, last longer than plastic ones and you can boil water in them :mrgreen:
Be careful there if you do boil water in the bucket I found out the hard way as an apprentice that the coating for galvanising if pretty bad for you if you try and weld galvie metal. Make sure you boil it outside or somewhere well ventilated in case the coating burns off.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

gadgetguy wrote:Be careful there if you do boil water in the bucket I found out the hard way as an apprentice that the coating for galvanising if pretty bad for you if you try and weld galvie metal. Make sure you boil it outside or somewhere well ventilated in case the coating burns off.
There is quite a difference between boiling a couple of gallons of water in a bucket to welding though, several hundred degrees in temp for one. I don't use it for drinking though, very good for washing up though.

When I bought this house it had a galvanized cold water tank and hot water cylinder, though the rust that came in the water when used it was soon ripped out.

Have done it dozens of times and never had the zinc coating burn off, I also use a toasting fork made from a bit of zinc coated wire, looks like this one

Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.