What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
mogs

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by mogs »

Will do Nickdutch, Im not allowed it till 14th haha but im sure ill be having a play with it as soon a possible! :D
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

mogs wrote:Will do Nickdutch, Im not allowed it till 14th haha but im sure ill be having a play with it as soon a possible! :D
Clang , clang ,clang ;)
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Chrysallis

Post by Chrysallis »

Hello

Erm, :oops: I went crazy shopping and gave in to prepper urges at supermarket:

Wind up LED 3 function lantern - tested it and pretty impressed.
Extra long matches - fancy gold things from post-Xmas sale so got 2 packs as they were cheap
Cooks matches
Fire blanket
3 boxes of teabags
2 coffee refills
Tripled up on buying tinned goods
Refilling first aid stuff (bandages, adhesive, numbing antiseptic cream, wipes, sterile gloves, painkillers also flu remedies)
Extra dog treats
6 loaves of reduced bread (to freeze, left plenty for later shoppers, aka 'reduced stuff etiquette')
3 x 2 pints of semi milk (freezer)
2 packs of butter (1 to freeze)
2 packs cheese (freezer)
As well as usual replacement stuff.

Could not resist as OH not there to rein me in....!

:oops:
C
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
slugboy

Post by slugboy »

i built myself a little alcohol burning stove from two pop cans.
id read about them and decided to have a practice as work was quiet last night and i was able to 'forage' the two cans required.
figured book smarts are one thing, but trying to build something for the first time when you actually need it isnt so smart. lol

it looks pretty (since foto was taken iv scrubbed the print off), and is really rather light and compact.
photo(10).JPG
photo(10).JPG (97.86 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
apologies for the squiffy angle of the foto.

first test with 70% denatured this morning seemed ok, sputtered like a peculator and i couldnt see if the flames were coming from the right parts as it was too light, but it stayed alight and waving my hand over the top definitely showed it gave off heat...
i even used some toothpaste to polish up the concave underside for an hour so it makes a lil parabolic reflector as a fire starter device.
yes my night really was that quiet....

the design is a double wall style. does anyone here have experience with them? tweaks to make them work better would be good. as i see it as a potentialy very inexpensive and ultralight bug out device.
munchh

Post by munchh »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6112

Slugboy, check out this thread, there were quite a lot of posts. ;)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Replaced both free wheeling hubs on the jeep , scraped the knackered one and keeping the better one for spare
Can recomend
http://www.milneroffroad.com/nissan/pat ... eeling-hub

For parts , great service , quick postage , and very knowledgeable staff

J
Last edited by poppypiesdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Selfsufficientwoman

Post by Selfsufficientwoman »

Currently just beginning my veg and fruit for the season. Cues, toms, sweet peppers, grapes, rasberrys and strawberrys

Can't buy anything because very low on funds so just living off my preps not had to do any shopping for 2 months only cat food and litter (plan to stock up again on those when I get funds since I have used out the 6mth supply I usually keep) :)
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Have been rearranging my bedroom and have managed to put a majority of the water stocks into one place. I moved about 200litres of water. This wil be more manageable in terms of rotating, cleaning bottles and changing the water. I noticed some bottles haven't been dated (oops) so they need changing first.

Cleared out a cupboard and put all the toiletries in there (instead of plastic crates which I couldn't move!). Pleased with how much I actually had (more than I thought!)

Next job to clear some shelving (some 'stuff' will be going on freecycle) to make room for more preps.

I love half term- I can get soooooo much done. :D
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

A few new bits added to the pot

Three new torches

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CREE-400-LUMEN- ... 938&sr=1-2

Runs o a single AA battery, 400 lumens and a telescopic zoom lens to concentrate the beam.

And a couple of these from ebay for the medic pack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251219906978? ... 1439.l2649

A good price and extra sticky and easier to get than Asherman chest seals.
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

After having made a decision a while ago that i should get myself more heavily involved with my local community, I have now succeeded in doing that and it has proven to be a pleasant experience, but now I am in a position of having done too much, have too much on and probably the most busy life and the fullest life I have ever lived and my life is now a bit difficult for me to handle, I have to now find a way of scaling things back a bit to keep everything in check.

I am currently knackered and rather over stressed and that isn't a situation I would will on anyone.

My next preparations is to get my life more manageable.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks