What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by 24942895 »

12mp82 wrote: errrrm, let me think for a moment

Was it the 99p shop ;)

To be blatently critical there are a few things on the list I would be concerned about using in a SHTF situation, but worth having a try with to see how they get on.

1x 10L collapsible water thing - £1
1x Folding Saw - £1
1x Polythene lightweight waterproof poncho - £1
1x Folding Saw - £1

These should be OK, but test the light sticks before relying on them

2x Cylume Sticks (Glowsticks) - £1
2x Mylar Blankets - £1
12x 500ml bottles of water - £1
1.2KG of Sugar - £1
Close, Poundland :D
The folding saw is pretty poor quality so I'm going to go and saw something to see if it's worthy of the space, I have a couple of chain-type 'wire' saws in the go bag.
10L water thing is just to sit in the kitchen for those occasions when the mains might be turned off, I'll probably get another one for the same. There will be 20L of bottled water in the kitchen soon and another 20L in a few weeks.
Poly poncho, I have a goretex jacket in the bag but I got this for anyone else I might have with me in need (I'm expecting to be looking after a couple of friends, I'm considering making a couple of extra bags actually).
Light sticks, very fair point, I'll pop one tonight and see how it behaves & buy more if they're good. I mostly have a selection of flashlights for illumination.
just a number, nothing to see here, move along now..
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Hey all - I've been hiding out for a while (not so well) but I'm mightily glad to be back and nearly fighting fit!

This week I've picked up a non electric chopper thingy for times of no power (there's no excuse not be civilised and have salsa....) and I've started a HUGE clearout (via ebay, gumtree, charity shops and streetbank) to get rid of clutter so that I can replace it with real long term benefit items. A secondary benefit will (hopefully) be the raising of enough cash to install a woodburner over the summer - I regard this as the number 1 priority familry prep for the next 3 months.

I'm also chitting my potatoes and getting the greenhouse scrubbed out for the new season (up here the greenhouse doesn't need to be ready for the end of february coz it's still too darn cold without a heater!).
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Welcome back Ferricks :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

24942895 wrote:Light sticks, very fair point, I'll pop one tonight and see how it behaves & buy more if they're good. I mostly have a selection of flashlights for illumination.
For glow-sticks I like this place

http://www.glowsticks.co.uk/wholesale-g ... tAodAgMAnw

For bulk buying in smaller quantities

http://www.glowsticks.co.uk/six-inch-glowstick.html

Also have a look on ebay

Keep them in the wrappers though, otherwise they might fail, and also very safe in dangerous flamable situations where a torch might not be, and one of these to hold them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-US-Ar ... 564f63315e
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome back Ferricks - sorry you've been poorly.

I've been trying to focus on the garden - clearing plants I don't want, including a tree that was only three feet from the house, cutting back a buddleia that was leaning against a wall, and needed proper pruning anyway, and working out planting - there's going to be proper planting this year, or I'll know the reason why!

And my first water butt is set up - slight problem in that the drain I was going to attach it to isn't attached to a gutter :oops: but I've realised where I can put it now. Happy camper here :)

ETA: I've just been doing a spot of community building, having a chat with my neighbour the radio ham - he also has a woodburning stove, and brings home lots of free wood from his workplace ... I think he may be a prepper in all but name :)

Post by 24942895 »

24942895 wrote: Light sticks, very fair point, I'll pop one tonight and see how it behaves & buy more if they're good. I mostly have a selection of flashlights for illumination.
I cracked one of the glowsticks (pack of 2 for £1 from Poundland) about 24H ago, initially enough light to see indoors, rated for 6 hours but 24H later it's still giving enough light to be able to see it as a marker.

I'm going to see what I can find in the way of Really Bright for an hour or two as I see them as being more useful if I need to get into or out of somewhere with a gas leak or suchlike, I've got flashlights for general illumination.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

You might want something like these then.

5 minute glow sticks :shock: might need welding goggles though

http://glosticks.co.uk/firefly-military ... ticks.html
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

Post by 24942895 »

12mp82 wrote:You might want something like these then.

5 minute glow sticks :shock: might need welding goggles though

http://glosticks.co.uk/firefly-military ... ticks.html
5 minutes might be like a nuclear strike but thats heading the right direction :P
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

My Hydrometer percentage chart for alcohol by volume is old. It is very old, yellowing and falling to pieces. So I have written up the data on a fresh hand drawn chart so I wont lose hat all important information.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
old git

Post by old git »

Caught bottling rice, oh the shame :o