What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Capa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Capa »

I haven't done much. Made a list of what I need to get, but I am mostly focussing on clearing and decluttering my house as we're in the middle of building works that are nearing completion.

Plus side? This means I get to clear out all sorts of cupboards that were my husbands hoarding spots full of crap and get them ready for my prepping stuff to be stored in, instead!

Also just filling in the forms for my Shotgun Certificate...
junmist

Post by junmist »

started some seeds on the window sill so that by the time they come up I sould be able to start putting them out also got some seeds chitting for the first time
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Made some Jute Rope and Tea Light candle wax fire-lighters. Looking forward to playing with them and my kelley kettle soon.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Puffpuffmew

Post by Puffpuffmew »

Due to broken home laptop and a case of the chicken pox, I've been completely out of the loop for a week and a half. So this week I'll be catching up on this forum, sampling some delights I got from Conserva.de, and actually figuring out my Kaito Voyager Pro KA600 that I got for my birthday in Jan but still havent even unboxed!
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Maybe I have post-viral syndrome or something but I have just read puffpuffmew's message as a sad one about a laptop from a broken home........I need a dose of Benylin or something stronger!

Spring-cleaning should throw some new space into view for me to use for preps. Time to hit the wardrobe.

Soobee
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I get it, SooBee!

My fire-safe case arrived today:)

And I was having a bit of a think - some of my food preps have gone up massively in price - 10-15%, so I think what I'm going to do is use up a lot of my preps - I'm thinking of cornflakes and pesto in particular :oops: :lol: financially, no point in stocking up on them when they're gone up in price like this. What I'll do is use the money I'd usually have used to keep the stocks up, to buy other things - don't want to get caught short by any problems.
Puffpuffmew

Post by Puffpuffmew »

SooBee wrote:Maybe I have post-viral syndrome or something but I have just read puffpuffmew's message as a sad one about a laptop from a broken home........I need a dose of Benylin or something stronger!

Spring-cleaning should throw some new space into view for me to use for preps. Time to hit the wardrobe.

Soobee
hahahahaha :D Well it's definitely sad that it has a broken screen, but I'm not quite at broken home stage yet!
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

I am not doing preps, i am using them. i still haven't been paid by my american agency :x and i am feeling upset by it, but on the other hand I am eating well thanks to having stuff in the cupboard in the first place :D Doesn't necessarily stop the feeling of depression that one can get when one is waiting for cash and is concerned.

But to be honest and on the brighter side, It is motivating me to do more sprouting, to make rice flour pancakes and the like. And on top of that, it is also making me feel proud to have discovered this forum and to be regularly checking the "What Preps are you doing this week" section to make me feel guilty if I haven't been doing anything :oops: and to spur me to action which has lead to the rice, lentils, mung beans, dried mash potato, tins of peas and all the rest of the cool, but low value, foods that I have in stock :)

It could be a lot worse ;)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

You should be proud Nick.

Everybody else on this Forum that has taken out "insurance" in whatever form should be as well.

As for me, I've just got a Paraffin oil insert for my UCO candle:

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/uco- ... -764-p.asp

and a one-handed operation ferrorcium rod:

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/ulti ... -330-p.asp
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Nick, I do wish we had a thanks button - I find your posts inspirational, the way you're coping with such financial difficulties and yet being so creative with your preps.

As for what I'm doing, I'm rejigging a little bit of storage upstairs, there was a conversation somewhere on here ages ago about what we'd wear if we *had* to bug out - chemical spill, shtf event, whatever - and there was a sense of not standing out from the crowd by not *appearing* to carry too much - which led me to stuff hanging from a belt, wrapped round my leg, and wearing a bulky shirt, as well as a couple of extra layers. I ordered a few bits from paypal after selling stuff on ebay, and now I'm assembling it.

As well as checking out the tins to make a rocket stove - was chatting with short circuit on the rocket stove thread about plastic lining of the big outer tin that goes to make one, and its totally plastic lined, going to experiment with burning that away.