A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Briggs 2.0

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

munchh wrote:So its the one called the "P-tool"?

that blade seems to be left handed?
That is a good point, I'm ambit-dextrous and I favour fine work with my left and I find the tool naturally goes in that hand for tasks such as cutting and I did shave that tinder off using my left. I've since tried it in my right hand and by flipping it over, it works just as well. It's quite small, it's about 70mm long.

It is the P Tool and I have the Prydent. I've not used the saw side yet, maybe I'll get out and try it next weekend.

@Dangerman. As always, it comes down to the location and situation. If I was carrying it on it's own to a football match I'm sure it would be considered offensive. In my case, it's part of my work EDC.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
metatron

Post by metatron »

I just got back from a conference, where part of the goody bag was a wallet ninja. They're okay and seem to be well made.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

dangerman wrote:Is the No 8 UK legal carry? I want one. I love my tiny little one, but it's totally impractical and I was told that it was the only one in the range that was ok as a pocket knife.

Does this help?

Bearing in mind that the #5 (and smaller) don't have locking rings, or you could cut through the ring on a #6.
Which is your "tiny little one"?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

metatron wrote:I just got back from a conference, where part of the goody bag was a wallet ninja. They're okay and seem to be well made.

I like that a lot! I already have the standard one that everyone has, but that one says "wallet ninja" on it, and therefore I want to own it.
ForgeCorvus wrote:
dangerman wrote:Is the No 8 UK legal carry? I want one. I love my tiny little one, but it's totally impractical and I was told that it was the only one in the range that was ok as a pocket knife.

Does this help?

Bearing in mind that the #5 (and smaller) don't have locking rings, or you could cut through the ring on a #6.
Which is your "tiny little one"?
The man in the shop told me that mine was the only one without a lock on it, it must be the No: 2. Too small for any real tasks and too fat to fit in your wallet. It's apt to get lost really, even though it is cute.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Also, just to add a little versatility to my EDC I bought a new knife today. I found a SAK Farmer for £20.84 on this website that I've never heard of. I wanted one of the silvery ones just because they're pretty, but I've also wanted something to replace my SAK Spartan for a good while. I lost the Spartan and it could be anywhere, either dropped out of my pocket or I may have just lost it down the back of the couch. Hoping it still may turn up.

The Spartan was nice and slim and when I replaced it with the SwissChamp I realised that there are benefits to having a thin pocket knife. I'm still using the Champ daily, but it's not good in tight summer shorts.

Here's the site I got it from:

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Vict ... 00824126Np

You like?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dangerman wrote:Also, just to add a little versatility to my EDC I bought a new knife today. I found a SAK Farmer for £20.84 on this website that I've never heard of. I wanted one of the silvery ones just because they're pretty, but I've also wanted something to replace my SAK Spartan for a good while. I lost the Spartan and it could be anywhere, either dropped out of my pocket or I may have just lost it down the back of the couch. Hoping it still may turn up.

The Spartan was nice and slim and when I replaced it with the SwissChamp I realised that there are benefits to having a thin pocket knife. I'm still using the Champ daily, but it's not good in tight summer shorts.

Here's the site I got it from:

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Vict ... 00824126Np

You like?
Aye, one of the reasons I'm a fan of the Spartan SAK, its very pocket ergonomic. There's loads of options, prices to suit......every pocket. :P
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I like my Swiss farmer :-)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

hey folks, just a vote of confidence for anyone thinking of buying from FFX (aka Folkestone Fixings) from me - I'm a chippy and get all my tools there, excellent value, awesome customer service and very trusted as far as I'm concerned.

ive used the returns service too, all very slick....

no affiliation, just happy customer.

cheers
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Cheers Daz, I've not received my knife yet but I'm not expecting any issues. Their price was indeed the best around that I could see.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

dangerman wrote:
The man in the shop told me that mine was the only one without a lock on it, it must be the No: 2. Too small for any real tasks and too fat to fit in your wallet. It's apt to get lost really, even though it is cute.
The man in the shop was talking buttons, the #5 is below the UK blade limit and has no lock (ditto the #4 and #3).
I will admit the #2 is almost too small to do anything except open letters and cut string..... Mind you if thats all you need a knife for then go for it

Hope the Farmer is everything you're looking for and that your Spartan comes to light the day after you can return its replacement ;)

FFX is the place I've bought Hultafors knives from, no stress, no hassle
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar