What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Le Mouse »

Well it's been pretty much confirmed that I've been made redundant, apart from half-hearted attempts to 'redeploy' me which I will be frankly avoiding like the plague. So I'll be leaving London (yay! :mrgreen: ) and moving back home in about a month. I've been living off my preps the last couple of weeks to save some more money and to reduce the amount of stuff I have to move.

I'll be moving into my nan's old bungalow on my aunt's property (basically a granny flat in the back garden) and will hopefully have some use of the garden. To that end I've been researching space saving ideas for gardening, like hanging baskets and using propped up pallets as plant pot frames so I could try and grow some fruits and veggies.

But first I have to pack up 16 years worth of my life. :shock: I'd better get started on getting rid of some of the cr@p I've accumulated over the years! :shock:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good luck with that Mouse! I moved towns about two and a half years ago, I did a downsize at the same time, and I can tell you now, the more preparation, the better! I thought I'd got rid of so much stuff before the move, but I was in shock when it actually came to it. Now, in spite of more stores for prepping, I'm much more minimal :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sorry to hear that LM. Hope things workout for you.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote:Good luck with that Mouse! I moved towns about two and a half years ago, I did a downsize at the same time, and I can tell you now, the more preparation, the better! I thought I'd got rid of so much stuff before the move, but I was in shock when it actually came to it. Now, in spite of more stores for prepping, I'm much more minimal :)
Thanks Arzosah! In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't be too bad because I live in one room. However, it's one room full of Stuff. I won't be taking my bed, so that's something off the list. The last two times I moved house (both within London) I nearly had a nervous breakdown from the stress and ended up in tears on move day. I hope I don't repeat the experience this time! I hope to stay more minimal in terms of Stuff.

As much as being made redundant is really crap, I'm looking at it as an opportunity. I've spent the last couple of years saving money in case of such an event (I've seen redundancy coming for the last year), so that plus my meagre redundancy pay out will keep me going for a bit. I have a few things planned for work when I get back home which will hopefully work out, so *at the moment* I'm not too worried. I'm also fulfilling number 1 on my prep list: get the heck out of London. That'll be a big weight off my mind :)
pseudonym wrote:Sorry to hear that LM. Hope things workout for you.
Thank you pseudonym! I'm seeing it as a Good Thing right now :)
stevegray

Post by stevegray »

Another pack of canisters for my gas stove. Finally got around to ordering the Wild Woodgas Stove (mkIIt) and the MSR Stowaway 775ml Pot as a backup.
dazz675

Post by dazz675 »

dam that hennie heynes website.... just too tempting... just bought freeloader pico solar charger and gel case
iceprep

Post by iceprep »

Payday today so I will be taking my monthly visit to Costco -

Usually buy what is on offer so will be getting:

90 Pack of heavy duty black refuse bags (£6.74) They are decent quality and don't rip like regular sacks.
Velvet Toilet Roll (40 Rolls) - You can never have enough toilet roll :D
5 Litre Domestos Bleach - £3.51 its cheaper than Poundland @ 2 for £1 for 750ml bottles - Saves space.
Nature Valley bars (Various) - 48 bars @ £8.98 (18p each)

Additionally I stock up on usual items like bottled water, tinned tomatoes, baked beans etc

The OT doesn't really know about my prepping. I did raise the subject with her but didn't really get anywhere.
So shopping at a Warehouse store is my tip for bulk shopping without really letting on to the OT ;)

I've taken to storing various bits and pieces around the house so as to not let on. I will try to broach the subject with her again, the bad weather and what has gone on in cyprus in the last week will help.

Post by 24942895 »

My week started with 10x 2 liters of water, 20x packets of noodles & 12x baked beans. I'll be adding 10x packets of savory rice & 5x packets of cup soup later in the week. I need a cheap supply of gas for my little stove too, should sort that in the next couple of weeks :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
just a number, nothing to see here, move along now..
redskies

Post by redskies »

We've just picked up thirty or forty tyres and a big bag of partially rotted down kelp. We should be able to get the spuds planted tomorrow - they're up in the velux window chitting atm! Also in the velux window are onion, echinacea, strawberry stick, rosemary, lemon basil, melissa, feverfew, calendula and various other seedlings. OH is off to go and pick up some old windows, so we can turn some of the tyres into wee cold frames, get the sprouting seedlings out and get some more planted. We also ordered tobacco seeds, which should arrive this week. Those will need to go up in the velux window permenantly, as they wouldn't cope with the wind here.

All in all, a good start for this years crops so far :)
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

redskies wrote:We've just picked up thirty or forty tyres and a big bag of partially rotted down kelp. We should be able to get the spuds planted tomorrow - they're up in the velux window chitting atm! Also in the velux window are onion, echinacea, strawberry stick, rosemary, lemon basil, melissa, feverfew, calendula and various other seedlings. OH is off to go and pick up some old windows, so we can turn some of the tyres into wee cold frames, get the sprouting seedlings out and get some more planted. We also ordered tobacco seeds, which should arrive this week. Those will need to go up in the velux window permenantly, as they wouldn't cope with the wind here.

All in all, a good start for this years crops so far :)
Sounds great! Do you have a frame / suspended tray or suchlike hanging from your velux window or have you stuck a table under it? I'm trying to picture your set up. I'm considering makeshift hanging pots for seedlings myself so all information is valuable!