What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
redskies

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by redskies »

Le Mouse wrote:
redskies wrote:We've just picked up thirty or forty tyres and a big bag of partially rotted down kelp. We should be able to get the spuds planted tomorrow - they're up in the velux window chitting atm! Also in the velux window are onion, echinacea, strawberry stick, rosemary, lemon basil, melissa, feverfew, calendula and various other seedlings. OH is off to go and pick up some old windows, so we can turn some of the tyres into wee cold frames, get the sprouting seedlings out and get some more planted. We also ordered tobacco seeds, which should arrive this week. Those will need to go up in the velux window permenantly, as they wouldn't cope with the wind here.

All in all, a good start for this years crops so far :)
Sounds great! Do you have a frame / suspended tray or suchlike hanging from your velux window or have you stuck a table under it? I'm trying to picture your set up. I'm considering makeshift hanging pots for seedlings myself so all information is valuable!

I have a set of very basic shelving under the window; it's my soap drying rack. I just cleared my crap off the top to make space for the spuds and seedlings.

The spuds are in egg boxes, the base of one sat in the lid of the next one to save space. The seedlings have been planted in the cardboard tubes you get at the centre of kitchen roll etc. Just cut them up, set them on newspaper in an old baking tray, then filled em with with compost and seeds. I do have some pics, I'll try and get them uploaded when I get time!

When they go out, two tyre stacks will make beds, window on top will create a cold frame sort of arrangement. The spuds will start off in two tyres, four or five to each two tyre stack. Those are a bit different after that. Once the first two leaves show, there will be another tyre added and filled with earth, covering the leaves. You do that until you're half a dozen tyres high. Come autumn, you just spread a tarp, knock the stack onto it and harvest a whole pile of tatties. Apparently one of the most space efficient ways to grow a lot of spuds!

I'll have a lot of herb processing to do come autumn too. I've got more seeds to plant, some nice ones, like dyers woad, and yet more to order too. And there's a nursery I've discovered, over on the Black Isle. It'll bankrupt me, but it'll be worth it to grow my own golden seal and tea tree and eucalyptus trees and stuff!
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Damn nothing in this weather , so frustrating ,
Fertilizer in shed , ground covered in snow
Fencing in shed , ground frozen
Gate post holes dug , too cold to concrete

Pissed off horses frustrated at being in 18 hours a day , shedding coat at a fast rate and itchy .

This time last year we were in a mini heat wave .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Moving out of a mid town crummy flat into a house 5 minutes from my allotment, river, edge of town etc, etc... :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Brambles wrote:Moving out of a mid town crummy flat into a house 5 minutes from my allotment, river, edge of town etc, etc... :D

Sounds great brambles, how exciting! :D
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Brambles wrote:Moving out of a mid town crummy flat into a house 5 minutes from my allotment, river, edge of town etc, etc... :D
Great , get planting
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
junmist

Post by junmist »

The weather has made me rethink getting an allotment (IF I get my second job that is) just so that I can get a Polly tunnel/greenhouse so that I can get planting. Horses are fed up with hay and want some grass witch they can't have yet cause the field is still to wet and for the first time in years I am still feeding them in MARCH and looking like I will have to carry on feeding into April :o so I'm feeling sorry for all the farmers out there. On the plus side the ducks are liking the weather and I've got a water vole :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

I have been doing more decluttering and selling stuff. This makes more space for preps and a little extra money.

I have set up my 'crafting' table in the only warm room which means I can sew into the evening.. :D

Not much else - in the Easter hols I would normally be starting to plant but the grounds frozen and its just too cold. It will be a late season this year. Good job we don't rely on it otherwise we would be going through a 'lean' period right now. :(
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

redskies wrote:I have a set of very basic shelving under the window; it's my soap drying rack. I just cleared my crap off the top to make space for the spuds and seedlings.

The spuds are in egg boxes, the base of one sat in the lid of the next one to save space. The seedlings have been planted in the cardboard tubes you get at the centre of kitchen roll etc. Just cut them up, set them on newspaper in an old baking tray, then filled em with with compost and seeds. I do have some pics, I'll try and get them uploaded when I get time!

When they go out, two tyre stacks will make beds, window on top will create a cold frame sort of arrangement. The spuds will start off in two tyres, four or five to each two tyre stack. Those are a bit different after that. Once the first two leaves show, there will be another tyre added and filled with earth, covering the leaves. You do that until you're half a dozen tyres high. Come autumn, you just spread a tarp, knock the stack onto it and harvest a whole pile of tatties. Apparently one of the most space efficient ways to grow a lot of spuds!

I'll have a lot of herb processing to do come autumn too. I've got more seeds to plant, some nice ones, like dyers woad, and yet more to order too. And there's a nursery I've discovered, over on the Black Isle. It'll bankrupt me, but it'll be worth it to grow my own golden seal and tea tree and eucalyptus trees and stuff!
Wowsers! How marvellous! I'll be happy if I can manage to grow something (*anything*) in a pot on the window ledge! :lol:
redskies

Post by redskies »

Le Mouse wrote:Wowsers! How marvellous! I'll be happy if I can manage to grow something (*anything*) in a pot on the window ledge! :lol:

I've just made a thread with some photos - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7115

It's so simple to do. If you don't have anything else, you can use soup cans, with some holes punched in the bottom, as plant pots. Just use a small phillips head screwdriver and a hammer; set the can on a piece of soft wood, so the screwdriver will go through without punching the bottom out. You can get old saucers and things to sit them on from charity shops; will cost you pennies!

We've got a lot of other stuff to build for growing food this year. Still locked in mortal combat with the HA; they got a hand delivered snippy letter this morning, pointing out that a time frame of eight months to sort out renting land is taking the piss and they need to get their thumbs out their arses and get it sorted. I've also set our local councillor on them again. Just wanna have chickens and bees and grow food!

I'll put up photos as we go. Off to switch sprouting seedlings into egg boxes, so they've got more space, especially the onions, and plant a few more seeds too :)
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

ordered a new camping cooker from wilkinsons its the type that take the cartridge gas cans and was only £10 but went though top cash back and got it for 9.60 not a great saving but all the pennies help down the line when it goes into the new car fund :)

Also found a good deal on the cans £26 for 28 cans I think it was so cant complain at that it should keep me going for a little while yet and im going to grab some bits from the 99p show and £1 shops later in the week too :)