How prepared are you? Prepper survey.

How are you preparing
Alleycat

Re: How prepared are you? Prepper survey.

Post by Alleycat »

So what the survey is telling us is.........we're all doomed!! ;)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Alleycat wrote:So what the survey is telling us is.........we're all doomed!! ;)
Yes, even if we live on a 1000 acre, fortified homestead in the middle of nowhere, with solar AND wind power, a smallholding of 500 animals, our own well, orchard, cannery, medical wing and nuclear bunker.
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

There are five categories, water, food, shelter, security and X factor 20 points for each section. The section on security is applicable to the Us but much less so for the UK. So I suggested that if you have any kind of a plan for security that is applicable to your situation you can re-evaluate your score out 80 instead of 100 and it should be closer to your preparedness.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

[quote="tigs"]score 91

24 months

Right on, good work. 24 months is the highest that you can store,even if you have a sustainable food and water supply. However the poll does indicate where improvemnts can be made.

nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

The survey doesn't really take into account other things, going out scavenging for things to use or food to eat, leveraging your community and working together and a few other things. the closest to it that it got was store alcohol and tobacco for trade.

It seems like the american prepper mindset is sooo self reliant that its there to exclude everyone and everything else.

I personally am of the opinion that an emergency condition will help to create new economies of trading in goods and services.

One time when I was driving to chesham it snowed real heavily, heavier than I had seen since the early eighties. At once there was a change in the behavior of people. Everyone became very cooperative. the weather was the enemy and we the people became one side against it. Sometimes an emergency can bring out the best in people.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

You are right Nickdutch the US mindset is very much towards self-reliance. Partly this is reflected by the roughly 50/50 split in their internal politics. On the Canadian site that I frequent I would have to say that the aim of the overwhelming majority of preppers is also towards self reliance. To actually become self-reliant is very difficult and obviously not possible for the majority. This is true for the US too and especially true for the UK. Someone still has to explain to me how you become self-reliant in an urban environment unless you have tons of money and purchase a remote location somewhere that is fully stocked etc.

As for working together I too have a few experiences with people working together during times of adversity and it can bring out the best in people. However like you experience the adversity was short term and every one could see their way through it. They knew it was only temporary. In a true SHTF situation or massive widespread disaster I very much doubt that it would bring out the best in people especially if the were hungry or their family was hungry. The troubles in Greece, where people can't see a way out of the situation is a good example of not bringing out the best in people. I am just trying to be realistic, if there is a disaster most people will work together for the common good. If it is a massive SHTF situation with little end in sight and people start to feel hunger all bets are off.

In the Dark

Post by In the Dark »

Before we get too backslappy about how much better off we'd be in good old blighty because of our plucky Brit spirit etc etc

Counting a spoon or a rolled up woman's weekly as a weapon for the UK won't really cut it .

A small reality check

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london ... 80&bih=949
junmist

Post by junmist »

[quote="In the Dark"]Before we get too backslappy about how much better off we'd be in good old blighty because of our plucky Brit spirit etc etc

Counting a spoon or a rolled up woman's weekly as a weapon for the UK won't really cut it .

A small reality check

:lol: :lol: :lol: have you been watching Robin Hood and the sheriff of Nottingham
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote:
Alleycat wrote:So what the survey is telling us is.........we're all doomed!! ;)
Yes, even if we live on a 1000 acre, fortified homestead in the middle of nowhere, with solar AND wind power, a smallholding of 500 animals, our own well, orchard, cannery, medical wing and nuclear bunker.
To quote Catherine Tate's character Nan,"what a load of old sh*t!
I had a look. Hmmm. :?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.