Handcuffs in your preps

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
TJCNI

Re: Handcuffs in your preps

Post by TJCNI »

Manclife wrote:
Mitchellsfold wrote: Finally the rigid cuffs are designed/intended to cause pain which then leads to compliance as far as I know
Not quite. They're designed to stop the person cuffed from strangling you as, if used properly, its not physically possible. Front stack method is the best.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/gmpolice1/5815237288/
Would agree with the first bit but rear side by side with palms out is far and above, can physically do nothing from there, if they are at the front at all they can get them around your neck.
Manclife

Post by Manclife »

Front stack you can't strangle but you can get an arm around a head, the way I think your describing you can get the cuffs round to the front and use the cuffs as a weapon and is a no no!. Rear stack eliminates thàt. Front stack however allows the person to write, eat and pee without removing the cuffs and reduces risk of positional asphyxia.
badgersden

Post by badgersden »

little confused with this why are you are going to restrain them,while watching some of the tv police programs the police mostly use pepper spray and then still takes 3-4 officers to handcuff them and these are trained people,just cant see the point getting involved doing this even in the shtf situation as michellsfold said what are you going to do with then after
redskies

Post by redskies »

It could be that someone is having a moment and needs to be temporarily restrained until they're a bit more rational. Seen that one happen, and sat on one or two folks myself. Once they're settled and sorted and calmed down, they can be let loose again.

Of course, the other scenario, the one where you've no intention of letting them go, is ... problematical. Depends on the threat they pose. Bad enough, I'd be tempted to skip from restraining to dealing with the problem on a more permanent basis.
badgersden

Post by badgersden »

redskies wrote:It could be that someone is having a moment and needs to be temporarily restrained until they're a bit more rational. Seen that one happen, and sat on one or two folks myself. Once they're settled and sorted and calmed down, they can be let loose again.

Of course, the other scenario, the one where you've no intention of letting them go, is ... problematical. Depends on the threat they pose. Bad enough, I'd be tempted to skip from restraining to dealing with the problem on a more permanent basis.

thanks redskies makes more sense now,your second part on dealing with them on a permanent basis was my thoughts rather then trying to get involved
redskies

Post by redskies »

Just as an aside; it takes so many coppers to restrain one person because they have to do it without damaging that person. Same in mental health facilities. I worked in a medium secure forensic unit, and did a course on how to physically get someone off me without particularly damaging them; I've done some Kung Fu/JKD/Capoeira and it was bloody hard not to follow through with an elbow on occasion!

In a SHTF scenario, where you don't have 'authorities' to hand off a criminal to, the last thing you need to worry about is doing them damage. Unless you know what you're doing and know how you'd react to a threatening situation, you could end up doing yourself more damage than you do to them. In that scenario, my objective would be to put them down and encourage them to stay there by any means possible!
havoc

Post by havoc »

why handcuffs cable ties are just as good and strong..light aswell so you could pack a few away..yeah cuffs are quick and easy to apply but id go with the cable ties to be honest
he who dares, wins....