weapons

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
bettersafethansorry

Re: weapons

Post by bettersafethansorry »

I do not hunt or shoot although i have done both in the States, i do however believe in being prepared should the SHTF

CURRENT ARMORY:
3 Live blade samurai swords,
combat knife
folding knife
high powered air pistol
120LBS Crossbow with 4x scope.

STILL TO BUY:
2x pistol xbows
throwing knifes/stars
solid wood baseball bat

SHTF SCAVENGE:
I know the location of several fire arms across the country which depending on access and Law & Order Status i would attempt to acquire.

I know its away from a lot of peoples mindsets on here but i believe personal protection will be the main need when it comes down to social meltdown. So when it comes to the crunch i want more bolts that bread to survive.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

SHTF SCAVENGE:
I know the location of several fire arms across the country which depending on access and Law & Order Status i would attempt to acquire.

I know its away from a lot of peoples mindsets on here but i believe personal protection will be the main need when it comes down to social meltdown. So when it comes to the crunch i want more bolts that bread to survive.

I think the issue here is social meltdown is not the top of our mind set, preparedness across the board is, when you look at it that part of your post puts you as a part of the problem you wish to avoid, if you wish to eat in tough times - store food, if you wish to fight others for their food and go after someone else's firearms too improve your odds ... tool up, sorry mate but it doesn't look like your out to protect yourself at all, it looks like your intention is to threaten or harm others and take what they have to survive, indeed you sound more like the Zombie coming to get us, than the well defended prepper :lol:
You may have just worded it too quickly, but if I were the boys in blue looking at this transparent forum I may want to keep my eye on folk who make too many hints toward future ill intent, which is why the mods rightly say keep it legal in the here and now, being safe not sorry I'd make clear anything I have for sport or as a tool would only become a defensive weapon if under attack and never to be the aggressor or thief, I think the moral compass thing comes in here the use of the word "scavenge" can be taken different ways, for there are many types of scavengers, many who clear up, some who cheekily "share" a meal, then there are the Hyenas and the big cats, who will happily chase you off of your own hard work, even kill you for it.

Do forgive me if I sound too critical but I like most here, up to and as far after a catastrophe as possible intend to stay legal, and even after my moral compass will only be ignored if it's clear I'm up against someone who's thrown theirs away.. or didn't have a functioning one in the first place ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

IMHO, the only weapons I need are air rifle (target practice in the garden) and slingshot (target practice in the garden).

And if there is an issue with rioters in the future, I have a rolling pin :lol:

There is seriously enough to learn about slingshot shooting to keep you engaged and interested for life. Its a great and fun hobby.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

bettersafethansorry wrote:I do not hunt or shoot although i have done both in the States, i do however believe in being prepared should the SHTF

CURRENT ARMORY:
3 Live blade samurai swords,
combat knife
folding knife
high powered air pistol
120LBS Crossbow with 4x scope.

Forgive me for making this connection but I can't help but notice in your avatar you appear to have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shell on your back, is this why you have the 3 x samurai swords? :roll:

Just kidding but for the record, I have no food preps whatsoever. :D
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

There is seriously enough to learn about slingshot shooting to keep you engaged and interested for life. Its a great and fun hobby.

If it fires something I'm there :D and do you know theraband can deliver about twice the foot poundage of a legal air rifle and a practices slingshooter or catapulter is it, can get a fair few shots off whilst a crossbow and many an archer person is fiddling about loading, not to be sniffed at at all, for the size and weight I am amazed to see folk listing the contents of their BOBs without one.
Just kidding but for the record, I have no food preps whatsoever. :D
Aye but if TSHTF I'm guessing you'd be bagging game, not other preppers ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Plymtom wrote:a practiced slingshooter or catapulter is it, can get a fair few shots off whilst a crossbow and many an archer person is fiddling about loading
Plymtom

Ive posted this link before but one things for sure I would not like to take on this young lady in a rapid fire contest :lol:

I think it proves that a skilled person with a bow is a handy person to know.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlk ... ata_player
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Manclife

Post by Manclife »

Firstly there is nothing stopping you keeping a baseball bat next to the front door in case your burgled etc. You don't need to have a glove and ball with it. You can have pretty much any weapon you like in your house it only becomes and issue when you have it in a public place. There's more info on banned items here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... DS_FAQ.pdf
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Firstly there is nothing stopping you keeping a baseball bat next to the front door in case your burgled etc.
I only looked over your link and saw no mention of baseball bat, but I still think it a grey area, and not really the best of choices as a defensive thing, they are designed for swinging at a target(ball) and need space, most domestic doorways do not lend themselves to that, I have to remind us here that (and I applaude this) our laws have been altered to more favour the victim in a domesticattack just as in the USA we cannot chase down a burglar and beat the living crap out of him, no we have to be able to demonstrate self defence or defence of our loved ones or as we say reasonable force to capture said burglar, yes I know we are in the main talking about the aggravated burglary or raider further down the disaster road but every time we get on the subject we need to make that clear.

I've got a panic button visible just inside my front door, and a 4D Maglite a little further down the passageway, my fusebox is just inside my inner door so the reason for having the torch there is on the face of it both practical and innocent, Your link is good Manclife thanks and I would like to point out that the clue to my/our thinking is in the very title Knives and Offensive weapons if you think I was being harsh, BSTS's Armoury and list of what may well be (indeed would be to me) pretty man toys come's unstuck at the SHTF scavenge point, becoming clear that said person appears from there forward as one of the things were are preparing to be safe from, in other words more a raider/zombie if you like bad guy, he may well not have meant to come across that way and I hope not, but we are preppers looking to survive by defensive means any scenario I believe, and as such someone who wishes to use a different approach should look for a Sacvenger's/Raider's/whatever forum, yes it is a mind set which in the USA is why they have the second amendment - so as the preppers and innocent good guys have a level playing field so to speak, that right to bear arms is to do so against threats, not to be one, were are talking basic right from wrong moral values here, we've had threads about it, moral compass when TSHTF I believe, it's fascinating but at the same time scary and maddening at times to see where some folk stand, those of us who have the ability to say something or do something, also have the responsibility to do so, do we not?
londonercsecse

Post by londonercsecse »

Manclife wrote:Firstly there is nothing stopping you keeping a baseball bat next to the front door in case your burgled etc. You don't need to have a glove and ball with it. You can have pretty much any weapon you like in your house it only becomes and issue when you have it in a public place. There's more info on banned items here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... DS_FAQ.pdf
As far as I know You are wrong here with the baseball bat! It has to be a casualy picked item to defend yourself. Like a kitchen knife just happened to be there. Or if You are collecting baseball memorabilia...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Having something around (or in your car, or on your person) that you are planning on using as a weapon is an offence

Mentioning it on a public forum will only strengthen the Prosecution's case.

I store my axes in the house because my shed isn't very secure or dry
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar