What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreppingPingu wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 pm Well I have just sent a surprise package to my daughter who came down south to visit this weekend. It's a prep for her :D She was going to take back a spare baking tin of mine back up when she went, so I have filled it with some store cupboard baking stuff and put it in a box to send up to her. I have also just bought an additional small Coleman battery lantern, so I ended up making her a tiny power cut kit out of the box that my bigger Coleman torch lantern came in, stuffing in the smaller torch, some spare batteries, a couple of long burn tea light candles, matches, pack of paracetamol, mini pack of hankys with a sticker on the top instructing her to add chocolate :lol:

Just the one bar?
306c2410da1c5704039178916adbbddc.jpg
306c2410da1c5704039178916adbbddc.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 702 times
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Appin wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:31 pm Indirect prep but one that actually alarmed me. I have an older brother who lives in London. He has no prepping inclinations and happily lives in London.

We got talking about the current situation and the risks we face. I pointed out his flat was all electirc so if there was a power cut he would not even be able to make a cup of tea. Also what lights did he have and was his water supply pumped? He had not thought of the possibility that a simple power cut let alone one form a cyberattack might leave him with no water or way to heat anything.

The upshot was that he accepted a gas camping stove as a gift and a battery powered lantern.

When we last spoke he was planning stash of bottled water.

Small steps but I will sleep a bit better knowing he has some preps.

How did this alarm me? Well if he is worried by what is going on then it must really be getting really scary.

It would be a funny thing but I bet 80% of homes for not have any basic short term resilience kit even simpler stuff Such as a torch, few bottles of water and a few other bits battery radio extra blanket for the bed ..

British Red

Post by British Red »

jansman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:02 pm Filled two petrol cans for the chainsaws today - before it hits £2 litre :lol: - as I am like a squirrel on speed right now. Mrs J said yesterday, that all I seem to do in my free time is to cut firewood ( I do go fishing too :D ). I told her that when Mr Putin turns off the gas- and he will ; it’ll hurt more than a Nuke! :lol: We won’t be cold, I can tell you.

Mrs J told me to ramp up the vegetable growing too. She never questions what I grow , and asked me if I need to stash more poultry and rabbit concentrate. My wife is a prepper for sure. What a woman!

Forget Nukes, we need to worry about economic collapse.
Quite right to all three (wood, feed, petrol). I have a few cubic metres of cordwood to buck up and maybe a cubic metre of horrible stuff that I keep ignoring ( crown sections and other horrors that will never split - they just need to be chopped into lumps with the saw). I've always said that my last 50 litres of fuel will be for the chainsaw. Feed store just dropped us this year's worth of layers, chick crumb and growers. Still toying with more petrol...if I buy it it may we'll go off before I use it .....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:17 pm. Still toying with more petrol...if I buy it it may we'll go off before I use it .....

Obviously your not allowed to store more than 30l at home I've also got the allotment which is not at home so got a bit extra ahem stashed on there for tools...

You can now buy a stabilizing agent for e10. Which claims to make it keep for 3 years.... .

https://www.hydra-int.com/LMA20-100.htm ... 44QAvD_BwE

British Red

Post by British Red »

If you notify the PEA I believe ( correct me if I'm wrong) that you can keep up to 275 litres now in portable fuel cans. Much better than it used to be. ;)
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:41 pm
Just the one bar?

306c2410da1c5704039178916adbbddc.jpg
You call that a chocolate bar? THIS is a chocolate bar :lol:
employees-unveil-thorton-s-giant-chocolate-bar-pic-pa-565889109.jpg
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

Biggest prep this week.....got the wife on board. Maybe not fully down the rabbit hole but a vast improvement.
Just got to get her into torches next :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

SamVimes wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:08 pm Biggest prep this week.....got the wife on board. Maybe not fully down the rabbit hole but a vast improvement.
Sam, That is a quantum leap. It's enough to reveal that the rabbit hole exists.
For more than a couple of years I was stealthily prepping and stashing rations: About half a tonne of concealed rations :) . Eventually I had to reveal my little quirk. did it progressively. Used Trump and Korea and then Covid to reveal that I had the odd few extra tins of beans and loo rolls stashed. It was a bit tense because I felt like my stealth had been deceitful. But it worked well. The OH still doesn't realise the full extent of our reserves, but at least their existence is not a dirty little secret. Now, he's embraced the idea a lot and has adopted responsibility for Freezer food rotation. And he's amused and bemused by our little projects like security lights, rocket stove making and pallet recycling. He also understands better why I keep serving up soya and pulse creations, and where it keeps appearing from.
We do need to be discreet with others outside of immediate family, because of the potential for derision or, worse, begging neighbours and extended family, post apocalypse.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:36 pm
SamVimes wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:08 pm Biggest prep this week.....got the wife on board. Maybe not fully down the rabbit hole but a vast improvement.
Sam, That is a quantum leap. It's enough to reveal that the rabbit hole exists.
For more than a couple of years I was stealthily prepping and stashing rations: About half a tonne of concealed rations :) . Eventually I had to reveal my little quirk. did it progressively. Used Trump and Korea and then Covid to reveal that I had the odd few extra tins of beans and loo rolls stashed. It was a bit tense because I felt like my stealth had been deceitful. But it worked well. The OH still doesn't realise the full extent of our reserves, but at least their existence is not a dirty little secret. Now, he's embraced the idea a lot and has adopted responsibility for Freezer food rotation. And he's amused and bemused by our little projects like security lights, rocket stove making and pallet recycling. He also understands better why I keep serving up soya and pulse creations, and where it keeps appearing from.
We do need to be discreet with others outside of immediate family, because of the potential for derision or, worse, begging neighbours and extended family, post apocalypse.
I'm in a similar position.
Funny how they never complain when things appear when required!
I like to keep ahead of the curve. Managed it with Covid so was stocked up about a week before the herd realised what was going on. Had to plan for worst case and work backwards.
We'd all like that bunker and fully stocked remote bugout fortress in the middle of the forest heaving with edible wildlife but....this is the UK.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

The joys of having kicked out my ex husband 2 years ago and my boyfriend not questioning anything 😂 he doesn't know about my preps though

Was round at my sisters for dinner tonight like usual and she's a prepper too. We've agreed officially (rather than idle prepper chat) that if shtf that me and the kids and cats are bugging out to hers. If the world situation gets worse and the threat to nato countries becomes a reality I'm moving all my food and other preps down to hers in advance so if we have to bug out quickly it's just me and the kids and cats to get there. She is walking distance from mine

Reason being where I live is a big council estate near town and a house I wouldn't be able to secure complwtwly and it's just me and the kids.

She lives out of town, in a valley, next to a pond and stream with no neighbours. So we've agreed it's safer there and safety in numbers for the kids

Have to say I feel relieved
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island