What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
woodsman

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by woodsman »

I was kindly given a food dehydrator, its only a 4 tray one not very big but gives me the chance to try this method of food storage.
my onion seeds have germinated :D and ive had chance to tidy the garden.
Im clearing out part of a flower bed at the front of the house and filling the space with various berry bushes and hopefully if ive room
for some rhubarb too.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Returning to working on my exercise and general fitness. I have had many things holding me back including health problems, but with each attempt over the past few years i think that I have learned more and from this point I should be able to take the whole process further and hopefully in a more dedicated way. Hitting the protein target for muscle gain is probably the hardest bit especially as I have chosen a predominantly plant based diet, but with perseverance i should be able to sort it out.

A lot of my "preps" in the past have been related to food and i have now got some good quality food preparation equipment for health.

Thats gonna make life a lot easier to be sure.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

After a long bout of prepper fatigue and life in general causing all sorts of problems, I'm getting back to this prepping mularky. Had some major rethinks and I now think I'm in the throes of putting the thoughts into action. Good to be back. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Brambles wrote:After a long bout of prepper fatigue and life in general causing all sorts of problems, I'm getting back to this prepping mularky. Had some major rethinks and I now think I'm in the throes of putting the thoughts into action. Good to be back. :D
Good to have you back! :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

PreppingPingu wrote:I tried out an oil hurricane lamp that I bought cheap on Amazon. Glad I tried it out - stupid thing leaks and is useless. In fact its more dangerous than useless. Good prep is to try out stuff before you really need it. Good lesson to remember that one!
I have a couple of genuine 'Feur Hand' German hurricane lanterns. It is worth paying the right money. My pair are 25 years old and still going strong. I too have bought those cheaper ones, and mine leaked too. :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
PreppingPingu wrote:I tried out an oil hurricane lamp that I bought cheap on Amazon. Glad I tried it out - stupid thing leaks and is useless. In fact its more dangerous than useless. Good prep is to try out stuff before you really need it. Good lesson to remember that one!
I have a couple of genuine 'Feur Hand' German hurricane lanterns. It is worth paying the right money. My pair are 25 years old and still going strong. I too have bought those cheaper ones, and mine leaked too. :(
I have a couple of Feurhands too. Worth every penny.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

I've done nothing for ages due to getting a new job and going from weekly to monthly pay so been living off our preps till pay day at the end of the month it's been a long 6 weeks. Only good thing is new job a huge pay rise more than time and a half what I was getting plus I make my own hours as much extra work as I want. As we have been using up the preps I have noticed some of the tins from the shed have a few rust spots so I will be looking at sealing up the door a bit better but also want to get some plastic boxes to put the tins in any suggestions. I will be glad to get away from tinned food but so glad we had the stock its made this time that much easier.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Staples do a large range of plastic Boxes. Most caravan dealers sell moisture absorbing silica gel . Combine the two and you should have rust free storage
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bob the builder, glad you are getting straight. It is good the preps helped, proves a point really. A crisis doesn't have to be the Zombie Apocalypse :lol:
My own modest attempts at self sufficiency will help us here at Chez Jansman over the coming months. We have had a number of property repairs to deal with this Winter, as you do. However, today we received the news that our gas boiler, pipe work and system in general is 'spannered' as the plumber put it. :( Gonna cost a lot of gold. Hey Ho! Back to being skint again. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

been playing with my raspberry pi again since ive just ordered the latest version

http://www.zdnet.com/article/500000-ras ... ards-sold/

for basic web surfing its great and with a seperate memory card a media centre

with the ability to turn any tv into a personal computer

im typing this reply on it..... :ugeek:

ideal for a bug out where you might be in a hotel or at a friends house to access your emails (if you get wifi or ethernet cable) or just as a back up / very cheap computer
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine