What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a few days playing
Screenshot_20240527-121248~2.png
That'll do nicely

Dinner cooking and solar near enough matches the toastie maker :lol: and not in full sun
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

That's the potatoes earthed up again growing well with all this rain at the moment..

Weeds started to go mad so had half an hour with the push pull hoe

Tomorrow night the grass round the fruit bushes will get a strim

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well it's payday weekend :lol: breakfast with little man in Morrisons whilst big sister had a lay in few staples need topping up but we made a start...

Picked up some little solar camping lamps in Aldi and some aa batteries..
Filled the car to the brim and the 10l jerry can
Car accessory shop got some fuel stabiliser liquid for said 10l can and a inner tube for the lads bike for stock

Picked up a few padlocks and wire rope security loops to secure a few bits and bobs in the garden/ shed local erm independent ethic b&m type shop has some decent branded bits in if you go digging squire padlocks half the price of Amazon etc

Got some steel ordered to make some security anchors seeing the price of some and the quality of the welding i can make better :lol:

Got some new boots goretex Merrell trainer type boots light enough to run in waterproof with out being full combat boots not as hard-wearing as they used to be but they fit me well and still stout enough for a good walk....

Tomorrow a few more shops to stock up on food and domestic basics :lol:

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Fitted a new door lock to the front door. The door is timber and the old lock was insufficient but we had already fitted dead locks. We did consider replacing the door for a composite one but refuse to pay £2k when we are looking to move (arched frame so the price goes up). Our much reduced growing this year is mainly the fruit trees and bushes which are coming along ok although we donated the gooseberry bushes to a local community garden. We are only growing bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and salad leaves his year as the onions failed to germinate apart from 6 tiny ones. Making a big push to move asap next year so doing a lot of tidying and clearing out of stuff. Spent some time choppng our free pallet wood and need to order a load of logs now in preparation. Ordered a box of our preferred fire lighters last night which are £12 cheaper than in July last year when I last ordered them, a pleasant surprise. Food, water and household supplies incl first aid are pretty much stocked up although having reduced my monthly spend on food are not quite as high as they once were.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a suprise visit tonight from a Indian chap we know via the brother in-law think we blew his mind bearing in mind he's from south of India .. the allotment blew his mind we discussed solar power water and how his mother is "sick" from years of wood stove use and oil lamp smoke and how 15 kg bottled gas was expensive £5 a refill nearly had to prop him up when bi showed him calors price list
Pointed him at various links to solar lights on eBay he will have to take the batterys out to get them home but they sell them in India ... Need to dig him the spare wood gas stove out if he can take it back with him that will make his elderly mothers day....

Little lad was in his element sharing his strawberrys with our visitor and leading the tour of the allotment :lol:

Crowning moment was the gang of teenage lads proud that they had caught 2 frogs in the land drain and how my little lad couldn't wait to pick it up to give it a stroke
:D

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Another Premium Bond "win"

Converted straight away into precious metals ;)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Went to my mum's, a long trek to Somerset by train. Borrowed a couple of things from prep gear. I have put them back, but this is something you should try to avoid. It was only little things like a couple of charging cables and a Dioralyte, so not expensive to buy extras for travel. So I'm gonnna try and avoid borrowing from preps next time. Clothing is a different matter, I'm not buying things like waterproof jackets especially for preps. My clothing rack is day to day and preps. I took one of my powerbanks, which is like the clothes, ie day to day and prep. These live in a metal box in the kitchen anyway.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got a new camping fridge a ultra low wattage 12v compressor fridge

Screenshot_20240608-215231.png
If the power goes off I'll have cold beer :mrgreen: oh and milk obviously :|

And camping the sausage and bacon for breakfast will stay fresh ;) runs on eco mode at about 30 watts which is a tiny draw especially as after 30 minutes it went from 18°c to -5°c

PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:12 pm Got a new camping fridge a ultra low wattage 12v compressor fridge

And camping the sausage and bacon for breakfast will stay fresh ;) runs on eco mode at about 30 watts which is a tiny draw especially as after 30 minutes it went from 18°c to -5°c
Remarkably efficient compared with non - compressor (peltier module type I think). I scratch - built a peltier - module type cooler, and although it may be a bit more efficient than most commercial ones, yours is way ahead in performance. I believe that compressor coolers are more efficient in any case; is yours thermostatically controlled? Mine runs from 11 to 32 volts and gives a temperature differential of 14 to 15 degrees C at about 30 watts . Yes to the cool beer, especially when camping!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PPrep wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:36 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:12 pm Got a new camping fridge a ultra low wattage 12v compressor fridge

Remarkably efficient compared with non - compressor (peltier module type I think). I scratch - built a peltier - module type cooler, and although it may be a bit more efficient than most commercial ones, yours is way ahead in performance. I believe that compressor coolers are more efficient in any case; is yours thermostatically controlled? Mine runs from 11 to 32 volts and gives a temperature differential of 14 to 15 degrees C at about 30 watts . Yes to the cool beer, especially when camping!

Yes it's thermostat controlled and will chill down to -20 degrees C so can be used as a freezer!

Runs on its eco mode at about 30w 12v the eco mode lets the temperature rise a couple of degrees before cutting in and runs at a lower wattage... Tried it for 12 hours over night took the power bank (river 2 250wh ISH to 50% on 12v ) solar out at 8am this morning whilst still running the fridge bright but overcast morning was fully recharged just after 11am