What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
Brambles

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by Brambles »

It's all systems go at the allotment. Planted 5 rows of onion sets, 2 rows Parsnips, tomorrow 2 rows Beetroot. Tomatoes and Peppers coming on nicely indoors.
Hope to get the Polygreenhouse back up today, then really get sowing!

The perenial veg garden is starting to wake up so I ran the hoe round.

Had a sort out in the stores and ordered some more flour from the Miller. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brambles, can I ask, please, what perennial veg do you have? It sounds like the Holy Grail to me :)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Arzosah wrote:Brambles, can I ask, please, what perennial veg do you have? It sounds like the Holy Grail to me :)
It is. :D
From the top..... Sorrel, Welsh Onion, Everlasting Onion, Field Garlic, Ramsons, Nine Star Broccoli, Daubentons Kale, Perpetual Spinach, Seakale, Asparagus all growing down at the allotment. I've just sown some more Sorrel, Good King Henry and Alexanders. Once the weather is warmer I have some Hopniss tubers, Oca and Yacon to replant.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

ggc wrote:
nickdutch wrote: Equipment:

1 X pedals only elliptical, 1X set of adjustable dumbbells, 1X weight bench (foldable), 1X resistance band, 1x pull up bar.
I see you have a pull up bar... I recommend this website if you want to make the most of that:

http://www.50pullups.com/

I don't have a pull up bar unfortunately but I am currently doing their 100 push up programme and have seen results in just a couple of weeks

Thanks. That looks very useful. For me, its very hard to get muscle and strength together, so i am only doing the pull up bar once a week as part of the back routine and can't lift my weight for one rep as of yet, so I am slowly bringing myself up to scratch bit by bit and eventually will be there.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
ggc

Post by ggc »

nickdutch wrote: Thanks. That looks very useful. For me, its very hard to get muscle and strength together, so i am only doing the pull up bar once a week as part of the back routine and can't lift my weight for one rep as of yet, so I am slowly bringing myself up to scratch bit by bit and eventually will be there.
No probs. On that site they recommend doing "Reverse pullups" if you can do less than 6 regular ones. They are basically backwards pullups where you start by standing on a chair and holding the bar and then you lower yourself down as controlled as possible. You use the same muscles in reverse and regular pullups so it's all good practice. Keep at it and as you say, you will get there.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

After lifting the last of the Leeks from the allotment I have dehydrated them. I now have a nice big jar in the cupboard, worked out quite well. I have almost finished what I dehydrated last year.

Really pleased with my new storage system. It works well.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Finely come to the end of the SAD season and starting to do things again. The garlic and onions that I planted last year are doing well and I am coming to the end of the Brussels sprouts and Cabbages and have started the seeds for the summer veg. Had started to do walking again but had to stop as it made my Hip/leg bad so back to the doctors and more physo so will have to wait even longer for the accident pay out :( can't wait until I am back to my 5 miles a day walk. Youngest nephew has started shooting not sure what, he says moles at the golf club???? but so far does not seem to be too good at it but practice makes perfect I'm hoping he will go to rabbits so that he can provide some meat for us.
My sister and I are discussing where we want to live she is going for the Western Isle's not sure why but we will give it a visit first to see what its like. We are thinking of renting for a year to see if we like the area before buying.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:After lifting the last of the Leeks from the allotment I have dehydrated them. I now have a nice big jar in the cupboard, worked out quite well. I have almost finished what I dehydrated last year.

I keep threatening to get one of these dehydrator thingies. Drying the leeks is a great idea. Now where's me wallet? :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:After lifting the last of the Leeks from the allotment I have dehydrated them. I now have a nice big jar in the cupboard, worked out quite well. I have almost finished what I dehydrated last year.

I keep threatening to get one of these dehydrator thingies. Drying the leeks is a great idea. Now where's me wallet? :D
The two investments I have made that paid for themselves inside of 6months has been this cheapo £30 dehydrator from Westfalia 5 years old and still going strong and my Presto pressure canner I imported from USA.

As long as you accept certain foods dehydrate better than others, well perhaps that should be rehydrate, and you don't expect things to store forever because they're dehydrated they're brilliant.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Interesting about dehydrating ... I have an unfinished home made dehydrator (unfinished for about a year :oops: :oops: :oops: ) but at the same time, I bought a halogen oven from Robert Dyas, which I use regularly. It cost £25 on sale, and I had a voucher for £10, so nice and cheap. Turns out it has a defrost setting, which I'm going to experiment with as a "dehydrator" setting, as one recommendation is to use an ordinary oven on a low setting with the door slightly open. I'll report back on how it goes.