What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Sonicuk

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Sonicuk »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Do the kitchen kick boards pull off? ;)
Ha ha, yes! But I have some rice and salt hidden there already!! :lol: :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sonicuk wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Do the kitchen kick boards pull off? ;)
Ha ha, yes! But I have some rice and salt hidden there already!! :lol: :lol:
What about the plinth that most of chests of drawers have? Accessing it is usually only a question of pulling out the bottom drawer ...
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

shocker wrote:Soory mate, didnt click :oops:

I just had this mental image of a 3 metre long steristrip...in use 8-)
Well I did have a really big cut in my leg once.... but not that big... ;)
Sonicuk

Post by Sonicuk »

Sonicuk wrote:For me it's getting my 3 part water plan in a better place.........

Ideally, I'd like to get to 3 days of water, but it's a lot of bottles to hide! Also considering a slimline water butt, but I don't have a downpipe nearby, so I'm researching other collection methods .....

Suggestions welcomed!
So, considering it was pouring down yesterday, I was motivated to rush out and buy one of those 100 ltr slimline water butts.

I had buckets and plastic sheeting dotted around the garden trying to capture as much water as I could (don't have access to any downpipes in the garden) - my partner must have thought I was mad!

I've probably filled it quarter of the way, so plan to keep topping it up with rain and the dregs from half finished kids water bottles and the like. Meanwhile, I've now got 24 x 2ltr bottles stuffed away, but little space for much more of these.

Once the water butt is filled, I'll feel much better about the water plan and move onto food next.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Just got my first seedlings coming through, onions, peas, spinach and something else that i have forgotten the name of. :?: :?: :lol:

Thinking of getting a decent solar panel and charger in next few weeks, keep my leisure battery charged, use it when camping and be handy to keep during winter, in case of power cuts etc.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Sonicuk wrote:
Sonicuk wrote:For me it's getting my 3 part water plan in a better place.........

Ideally, I'd like to get to 3 days of water, but it's a lot of bottles to hide! Also considering a slimline water butt, but I don't have a downpipe nearby, so I'm researching other collection methods .....

Suggestions welcomed!
So, considering it was pouring down yesterday, I was motivated to rush out and buy one of those 100 ltr slimline water butts.

I had buckets and plastic sheeting dotted around the garden trying to capture as much water as I could (don't have access to any downpipes in the garden) - my partner must have thought I was mad!

I've probably filled it quarter of the way, so plan to keep topping it up with rain and the dregs from half finished kids water bottles and the like. Meanwhile, I've now got 24 x 2ltr bottles stuffed away, but little space for much more of these.

Once the water butt is filled, I'll feel much better about the water plan and move onto food next.
Have you got access to downpipes on the house? I used to have about 6 barrels attached in series to one of the house downpipes with one of these....http://www.wilko.com/water-butts+access ... vt/0346228

You cut into the downpipe and insert the diverter, when the barrel is ful the rainwater goes down the drainpipe. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Sonicuk

Post by Sonicuk »

Brambles wrote:
Have you got access to downpipes on the house? I used to have about 6 barrels attached in series to one of the house downpipes with one of these....http://www.wilko.com/water-butts+access ... vt/0346228

You cut into the downpipe and insert the diverter, when the barrel is ful the rainwater goes down the drainpipe. :)
Yes, one came with the barrel. The trouble is that we are mid terrace and the downpipes are at the opposite sides of each neighbour.

I have considered guttering the shed/ fences, but don't have the spare cash at the minute. So bucket and sheeting is the next best thing. Not quick, but we'll get there :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Sonicuk wrote:
Brambles wrote:

Yes, one came with the barrel. The trouble is that we are mid terrace and the downpipes are at the opposite sides of each neighbour.

I have considered guttering the shed/ fences, but don't have the spare cash at the minute. So bucket and sheeting is the next best thing. Not quick, but we'll get there :lol:
Bu$$er :mrgreen:

Freegle/freecycle could be a possibility for some guttering and drainpipe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Update From here:
pseudonym wrote:Following on from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14462&p=161596&hil ... ts#p161596

I received today from Twodogs' site:

https://www.facebook.com/Twodogs-outdoo ... /?ref=py_c

The first instalment:

Loose enough for a Helle Hansen/ Buffalo jacket underneath.

Bonus is my Snow Smock and Fishtail Parka fit over it also, so now a complete Winter top layering system :mrgreen:
Collected my Ninja Dogs:

Ordered a Rain dogs to complete a 3 layer system.

Picked up a pair of Helle Hansen Pile socks too:

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

This week is chimney sweeping time! Half a days work,and always a good job well done.

Then its chainsaw servicing and sharpening,restock on fuel and 2 stroke/ chain oil.

And of course all the routine gardening chores.Got to start hardening the sweetcorn,squashes and outdoor tomatoes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.