A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by sniper 55 »

dangerman wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:
dangerman wrote:How about your first youtube video shows us around you tinderbox - what's in it and why?

Or you could just post some pictures on here. :D
Maybe but Strictly is on in a mo and I'm all about Team Anton :-)

It's an old metal tin with tape to make it weathertight, contents are: small tub of vaseline, cotton wool, char cloth, ferro steel, metal eyeliner pencil sharpener, wrapped firelighters, some birch strips, some paper, bic lighter, piece of inner tube, swan vestas and some weatherproof matches with an emery board taped to the inside of the lid.

Go Anton!
What's a char cloth?

Did Anton win?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Char cloth is cloth thats been charred, it takes a spark easily for fire starting, See link for how to make it.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making- ... n-the-tin/
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

dangerman wrote:
I wonder if there is something I could get for her that she would actually use.

I'm fortunate that Mrs B gets the prepper thing and she has the usual GHB style bag in her car. This is way too big for her to lug around on a day to day basis so I put together an Altoid tin using the magnetic tin system. It's basically the same as the contents in mine, replacing the driver bit and heads with contact lenses and other lady stuff. It easily fits in her handbag.

Maybe you could put together a similar tin and I bet within a week or so the contents will have come in handy. At the very least you know she's got the kit to hand.

Here's my Altoid kit - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11854&hilit=altoid

The Leatherman Micra is pricey but it does fit perfectly. Have a look on the web for Leatherman outlet and you can sometimes pick up multi-tools with engraving errors at nearly half price. the Leatherman Squirt fits into the tin as well as the Micra.

I hope that helps! :-)
Last edited by Briggs 2.0 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

My EDC
My EDC
Not a lot but it gets the job(s) done.
- LED Lenser torch
- Leatherman Style
- Nite Ize mini tool
- Handcuff key
- Mini Sharpie

Also carry phone, wallet, regular keys, lip balm, chewing gum, cash etc...

Want to get little capsule like mentioned previously in other posts for bank notes just so I can carry cash separated from my wallet proper.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Just started EDCing the Coast G19, its a nice simple tourch with a great build quality for under £8.

dangerman

Post by dangerman »

sniper 55 wrote:
dangerman wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Maybe but Strictly is on in a mo and I'm all about Team Anton :-)

It's an old metal tin with tape to make it weathertight, contents are: small tub of vaseline, cotton wool, char cloth, ferro steel, metal eyeliner pencil sharpener, wrapped firelighters, some birch strips, some paper, bic lighter, piece of inner tube, swan vestas and some weatherproof matches with an emery board taped to the inside of the lid.

Go Anton!
What's a char cloth?

Did Anton win?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Char cloth is cloth thats been charred, it takes a spark easily for fire starting, See link for how to make it.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making- ... n-the-tin/
Thanks mate! Looking now!
Briggs 2.0 wrote:

dangerman wrote:
I wonder if there is something I could get for her that she would actually use.

I'm fortunate that Mrs B gets the prepper thing and she has the usual GHB style bag in her car. This is way too big for her to lug around on a day to day basis so I put together an Altoid tin using the magnetic tin system. It's basically the same as the contents in mine, replacing the driver bit and heads with contact lenses and other lady stuff. It easily fits in her handbag.

Maybe you could put together a similar tin and I bet within a week or so the contents will have come in handy. At the very least you know she's got the kit to hand.

Here's my Altoid kit - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11854&hilit=altoid

The Leatherman Micra is pricey but it does fit perfectly. Have a look on the web for Leatherman outlet and you can sometimes pick up multi-tools with engraving errors at nearly half price. the Leatherman Squirt fits into the tin as well as the Micra.

I hope that helps! :-)
That sounds like a good idea. I might try it gradually. Get her a few bits and bobs over the next year and see how she adapts. A lot of the time she get's herself into pickles where she can't pay for something, can't call someone, can't get into the house, but she doesn't seem phased. She never learns and just keeps making the same sill mistakes. The most annoying ones usually cost me money because she has to buy or pay for something to bail her out. Like when she had to take a £15 taxi ride to let her get the house key from my mum's house once. Or when she had no phone battery to call me to collect her when I was two minutes away, and ended up getting the train at a cost of £8.
Captain Darling wrote:
IMG_20151026_182458.jpg
Not a lot but it gets the job(s) done.
- LED Lenser torch
- Leatherman Style
- Nite Ize mini tool
- Handcuff key
- Mini Sharpie

Also carry phone, wallet, regular keys, lip balm, chewing gum, cash etc...

Want to get little capsule like mentioned previously in other posts for bank notes just so I can carry cash separated from my wallet proper.
There are lots of places that I stash notes around my person. I even saw a video of a bloke on YouTube who hid money in nooks and crannies of his clothes. Like he replaced the collar bones of his shirt with dollar notes. Admirable idea, especially if you're travelling and since notes are now washing machine-proof.

Why the handcuff key?

metatron wrote:Just started EDCing the Coast G19, its a nice simple tourch with a great build quality for under £8.

Looks nice! Good value. But I already have a couple of aaa torches.

I'm in the market for a single AA battery one, and one that converts into a headlamp without adding a bulky strap. Like, one with a strong but lightweight elastic band or something. That would be a useful EDC gadget! :D
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
digi

Post by digi »

What i carry changes slightly, depending on if im on foot, in the car or in the van, i spend most time in the van

Always on me, is samsung android phone with numerous apps, my keys, which have a small multitool (pliers, knife, scissors, flat and phillips screwdriver and the all important bottle opener), micro LED torch and a short length of paracord with a spliced eye to attach to the keyring and approx 1.2M of duct tape wound around it. My wallet contains a 'wallet ninja' multi tool that my kids bought for me, a £20 note, a £5 note, a $1 note, a £1 coin, a €1 coin and a dime coin, as well as the usual cards, ID and other normal money for everyday use

If im driving the van, then i also have the van keys, on a separate karabina, these also contain duct tape on paracord and an EDC tactical miniknife (sheathed)

If im driving the car, these keys have no goodies attached

Both the car and van are equipped with bags that become carry items in seconds. The van bag contains more first aid (as it gets used more, and replaced) and is really suited for just myself. Its a 'bumbag' type thing that can also be used with a shoulder strap. The car bag is a 30L backpack, as the car could have up to 4 people in it (its a coupe so only 4 seats) so my bag is equipped for that. I also carry, and rotate at least 6L (12x500ml) of water in both vehicles at all times, along with my water-to-go bottle, which is nearly always with me
Captain Darling

Why the handcuff key?
I use them to open and close handcuffs...

At work we have plastic cuffs that have the locking mechanism of 'proper' cuffs. The longer handle is easier to use with gloves on, or use on yourself when your mates cuff your belt loops when your busy...

At work I usually tend to carry more bits and bobs 'just because' (because I have more pockets and can/kinda have to)
- Rite in the rain notepad and 2 x pens
- Swiss army soldier knife
- 2 x cigarette lighters
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Captain Darling wrote:
Why the handcuff key?
Touché dear boy!

Why two lighters?

Does anyone carry a radio? I know of some people who carry a decent quality little pocket radio and I like the idea, more just to listen to talksport or the match when I realise I'm missing it. But radios are obviously useful for a wide array of situations. There are radios built into most phones these days and I've got two phones at the moment with analogue radios built into them. The problem I have is that I can never get a good enough signal on them, I can just about hear what's going on, but it's not nice to listen to.

Also, iPhones and a lot of others smartphones have now had the analogue radio functionality removed.

I bought this a while ago and keep it in my car EDC, it runs on two aaa batteries:

It's a cracking little thing, and good for emergencies, but similarly with the phone radios I have, the sound quality isn't really very nice.

Any thoughts?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
i11matic1795

Post by i11matic1795 »

Captain Darling wrote:
Why the handcuff key?

At work we have plastic cuffs that have the locking mechanism of 'proper' cuffs. The longer handle is easier to use with gloves on, or use on yourself when your mates cuff your belt loops when your busy...

At work I usually tend to carry more bits and bobs 'just because' (because I have more pockets and can/kinda have to)
- Rite in the rain notepad and 2 x pens
- Swiss army soldier knife
- 2 x cigarette lighters
Sorry I'm just being nosey.. What is your work? :)
Captain Darling

Why two lighters?
In case one breaks, they live bodge taped to one another. If the flint goes on one you can light the other with it.

Sorry I'm just being nosey.. What is your work
No need to apologise, I'm a soldier.