What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:45 pmJust finished an ounce of 1/10th Britannia's :D
It was an itch well scratched.
I had a looksee at the one tenth and one quarter ounces - very interesting, I hadn't quite understood what "fractional" means. I haven't bought any yet, need to sit on that a bit - hopefully its more of an inheritance for my nephew than anything I'd need to use :?

Frnc wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:35 am I don't think this summer will be as extreme as 2022, and El Nino has ended now, but it's warm enough for me to want a fan on now (24.5 in my room). Not sure how the double glazing will change things. I can open these windows wider, and I have a venetian blind now, but there's not much breeze, and it's blowing the wrong way.

My old fan doesn't oscillate anymore, and I have nowhere to put it now to get it at the right height. So I was looking at getting a pedastel one, about 3-4 ft high. Ended up paying three times as much as I was intending, but got it nearly £20 off, for a Meaco 1056 P. It is a beast, bigger than I expected, but very quiet and has some great features.
I have a desk fan which oscillates from side to side, and I'm happy to put it on a chair so it reaches bed height, so to speak :) its good enough for the half dozen times a year I need to use it.

I *am* having terrible sleep for a few days this week. I've needed to keep a window open on the first floor overnight, and the Alsatian-type dog that my neighbour imprisons in a shed was barking, all night, for about ten minutes every half hour or so. I was totally wiped out yesterday because of it. Even for them, this went beyond the bounds, so I think they actually took it with them on Friday - it must be so lonely and bored and full of unused energy (its a young dog). So last night, I caught up on my sleep, finally, but Friday, I couldn't do anything except 20 minutes weeding, my brain wouldn't take anything at all. I'd like to have done a bit of driving, a bit of hand sewing, stuff like that. Nothing. Nada. Grrr.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:24 am
I have a desk fan which oscillates from side to side, and I'm happy to put it on a chair so it reaches bed height, so to speak :) its good enough for the half dozen times a year I need to use it.

I *am* having terrible sleep for a few days this week. I've needed to keep a window open on the first floor overnight, and the Alsatian-type dog that my neighbour imprisons in a shed was barking, all night, for about ten minutes every half hour or so. I was totally wiped out yesterday because of it. Even for them, this went beyond the bounds, so I think they actually took it with them on Friday - it must be so lonely and bored and full of unused energy (its a young dog). So last night, I caught up on my sleep, finally, but Friday, I couldn't do anything except 20 minutes weeding, my brain wouldn't take anything at all. I'd like to have done a bit of driving, a bit of hand sewing, stuff like that. Nothing. Nada. Grrr.
Nightmare. You should have a word, or report it. I'm not a fan of dogs or dog owners. I had to cycle past a big one not on a lead on a path the other day. It was sat down near a group of kids, so it might belong to a teacher.
I could have put my fan on a chair, if there is one in the cellar, but it wouldn't oscillate, so I have to point it sideways and then I'm getting no breeze. Facing me, it hurts my eyes.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:45 pmJust finished an ounce of 1/10th Britannia's :D
I had a looksee at the one tenth and one quarter ounces - very interesting, I hadn't quite understood what "fractional" means. I haven't bought any yet, need to sit on that a bit - hopefully its more of an inheritance for my nephew than anything I'd need to use :?

Sorry, anything below 1 troy ounce is considered fractional (that includes Sovereigns)

Until recently Sovereigns were highly under valued but their price has doubled.

The premiums are very high on smaller sizes, but I have enough in both Silver and Gold to not worry about splitting an ounce for a tank of gas or a loaf of bread.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:51 am

Sorry, anything below 1 troy ounce is considered fractional (that includes Sovereigns)

Until recently Sovereigns were highly under valued but their price has doubled.

The premiums are very high on smaller sizes, but I have enough in both Silver and Gold to not worry about splitting an ounce for a tank of gas or a loaf of bread.
No problem, I've seen the word around for a while, but hadn't quite cottoned on, my bad :D

Can I ask, though, pseudonym, if it's not about trade, why do you want those one tenth or quarter ounces?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Frnc wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:34 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:24 amI *am* having terrible sleep for a few days this week. I've needed to keep a window open on the first floor overnight, and the Alsatian-type dog that my neighbour imprisons in a shed was barking, all night, for about ten minutes every half hour or so. I was totally wiped out yesterday because of it. Even for them, this went beyond the bounds, so I think they actually took it with them on Friday - it must be so lonely and bored and full of unused energy (its a young dog). So last night, I caught up on my sleep, finally, but Friday, I couldn't do anything except 20 minutes weeding, my brain wouldn't take anything at all. I'd like to have done a bit of driving, a bit of hand sewing, stuff like that. Nothing. Nada. Grrr.
Nightmare. You should have a word, or report it. I'm not a fan of dogs or dog owners. I had to cycle past a big one not on a lead on a path the other day. It was sat down near a group of kids, so it might belong to a teacher.
The police, the RSPCA and the noise people at the council all know, and none of them care. The RSPCA actually inspected the barred shed where the poor thing lives, and *still* declined to prosecute - no wonder they have such a high conviction rate, since they set the bar so high :twisted:

The family is apparently well known for violence in the neighbourhood, which I didn't know before I protested: the first son was just generally aggressive to me, the second threatened me. I ignore them now, and they ignore me. I try to console myself about the dog by thinking about climate refugees, or Ukrainians being bombed out of their homes - humans are going through a lot worse than this dog, even though it's so horrible to hear it suffering.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:12 pm Can I ask, though, pseudonym, if it's not about trade, why do you want those one tenth or quarter ounces?
Purely a storage of wealth for hard times, and like you to pass on to relatives without the taxman butting in.

Some weeks/months my cash flow will not stretch to a full Silver Britannia/Sovereign/Gold Britannia so a fractional coin will help me accumulate wealth over time.

For example a 1/10th Silver Britannia is selling now at £7.00 per coin, whats that 2 pints? I bought mine at £4.70 per coin and when a tube was full stopped and moved on to 1/4 Oz. then 1/2 then full ounces

Same with the Sovereigns.

I'm now working my way up through the Gold Britannias.

As mentioned in another thread:
pseudonym wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:49 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:05 pm So does this happen in unsettled times as a rule or is this a huge omen and will I panic? As in, maybe buy jellybabies in bulk. Important stuff like that. :twisted:
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the internet... :mrgreen:

As we all know Diversity in preps is paramount so take the following with a pinch of salt....

Clear all credit card debt first.

save up 6 months of cash as a fail safe from loss of job.

add to food preps

ISAs for tax free savings

Double pay mortgage payments

Precious Metals/Jelly babies

your priority list may vary when one or more on the list is furfilled add that money into PMs.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I keep looking at the coins on the Royal Mint but find myself put off by the amount the VAT (silver) and delivery costs adds to the ownership cost. I think I got spoilt by buying silver sheet for making jewellery. I guess I just need to DIY some bars and get them hallmarked instead.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:16 pm I keep looking at the coins on the Royal Mint but find myself put off by the amount the VAT (silver) and delivery costs adds to the ownership cost. I think I got spoilt by buying silver sheet for making jewellery. I guess I just need to DIY some bars and get them hallmarked instead.
I use Atkinsons
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:44 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:12 pm Can I ask, though, pseudonym, if it's not about trade, why do you want those one tenth or quarter ounces?
Purely a storage of wealth for hard times, and like you to pass on to relatives without the taxman butting in.
Thanks for this - mine is nothing to do with tax avoidance, I have to say, more about focussing on one particular nephew, the youngest, who's been deprived of inheritance by the other part of his family, and I really feel for him. My will mentions my precious metals, so it's all above board, I'm not going to land him in anything, he needs to stay completely above board because of his job!
Some weeks/months my cash flow will not stretch to a full Silver Britannia/Sovereign/Gold Britannia so a fractional coin will help me accumulate wealth over time.

For example a 1/10th Silver Britannia is selling now at £7.00 per coin, whats that 2 pints? I bought mine at £4.70 per coin and when a tube was full stopped and moved on to 1/4 Oz. then 1/2 then full ounces

Same with the Sovereigns.

I'm now working my way up through the Gold Britannias.

As mentioned in another thread:
pseudonym wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:49 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:05 pm So does this happen in unsettled times as a rule or is this a huge omen and will I panic? As in, maybe buy jellybabies in bulk. Important stuff like that. :twisted:
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the internet... :mrgreen:

As we all know Diversity in preps is paramount so take the following with a pinch of salt....

Clear all credit card debt first.

save up 6 months of cash as a fail safe from loss of job.

add to food preps

ISAs for tax free savings

Double pay mortgage payments

Precious Metals/Jelly babies

your priority list may vary when one or more on the list is furfilled add that money into PMs.
Ah, jelly babies - yep, I can go with those :lol: and those figures you quote for the Britannia prices are a powerful advert!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:18 pm
Frnc wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:34 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:24 amI *am* having terrible sleep for a few days this week. I've needed to keep a window open on the first floor overnight, and the Alsatian-type dog that my neighbour imprisons in a shed was barking, all night, for about ten minutes every half hour or so. I was totally wiped out yesterday because of it. Even for them, this went beyond the bounds, so I think they actually took it with them on Friday - it must be so lonely and bored and full of unused energy (its a young dog). So last night, I caught up on my sleep, finally, but Friday, I couldn't do anything except 20 minutes weeding, my brain wouldn't take anything at all. I'd like to have done a bit of driving, a bit of hand sewing, stuff like that. Nothing. Nada. Grrr.
The police, the RSPCA and the noise people at the council all know, and none of them care. The RSPCA actually inspected the barred shed where the poor thing lives, and *still* declined to prosecute - no wonder they have such a high conviction rate, since they set the bar so high :twisted:

The family is apparently well known for violence in the neighbourhood, which I didn't know before I protested: the first son was just generally aggressive to me, the second threatened me. I ignore them now, and they ignore me. I try to console myself about the dog by thinking about climate refugees, or Ukrainians being bombed out of their homes - humans are going through a lot worse than this dog, even though it's so horrible to hear it suffering.
Good idea. Nothing more you can do. Some earplugs are supposed to be effective, not sure what type, silicone I think. Or you could listen to some nature sounds. I have some on now. Was doing a bit of 478 and box breathing. Before I crash out, I watch a channel produced by a 737 pilot analysing mistakes and equipment failures in aviation. The focus is on learning, he doesn't sensationalise at all. Sends me to sleep!