What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
lonewolf

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by lonewolf »

that's strange, cos even though I live in the countryside I don't hear chainsaws very often. trouble with anything these days is they tend to leave the smaller stuff-the stuff you can actually move by hand- for the insects and whoa betide anybody who moves it. that's why I go for stuff in skips and industrial estates, sometimes I can get off cuts from the saw mill but not very often.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If any trees are taken down round here, you have to be real quick off the mark! Tree comes down-gone in sixty seconds :lol:
I must agree with Lonewolf, a lot of it is left for the wildlife, and I am always wary of loading my boot when it is the Council doing the felling. I am too old to be getting into trouble over a few logs.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Where I work, we have a bloke who collects our scrap (broken or odd-sized) pallets.
The glaziers over the road put all their scrap wood (doors, windows and frames) next to their skip to be collected on a 'first come' basis.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

It's not Council felling we have here. It's tree surgeons or home owners working on trees and hedges within large gardens. There is always the problem of removing the trees (if they've become a problem)/overhanging branches/sizeable trimmings from hedges. If I have a pile of logs or branches, I can't use them and someone else wants them, I'm not going to say no 'cos they'll be doing me a favour taking them away. Most people here have GCH. I wouldn't venture into the common woodland areas to collect wood unless TSHTF. Fortunately, our nearest neighbour owns a piece of land opposite his house (which he bought to stop anyone else buying it, building on it and spoiling his view :)) and there is always a bit of "woodland management" on the go. It would definitely pay for some people to make friends with a few homeowners who might give them a call when they have branches to go - no nasty Council officials need be involved.
junmist

Post by junmist »

ordered 3 fruit trees this week
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

For a while I thought that my peppers weren't going to grow, but now in the seedling pots i have some sprouts and with nice seedling leaves. All of which are the same, making me feel that they might not be stray weeds, but the actual peppers themselves!

The pepper seeds came out of a few bell peppers that I got from the supermarket.

Hopefully this harvest season will be fruitful in terms of colour and volume. The butternut squash seedlings are starting to take nicely and so i feel optimistic about the harvest.

Both the butternut squash and the peppers will have come from taking seed from supermarket purchased veggies.

It shows you can do it.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

nickdutch wrote:For a while I thought that my peppers weren't going to grow, but now in the seedling pots i have some sprouts and with nice seedling leaves. All of which are the same, making me feel that they might not be stray weeds, but the actual peppers themselves!

The pepper seeds came out of a few bell peppers that I got from the supermarket.

Hopefully this harvest season will be fruitful in terms of colour and volume. The butternut squash seedlings are starting to take nicely and so i feel optimistic about the harvest.

Both the butternut squash and the peppers will have come from taking seed from supermarket purchased veggies.

It shows you can do it.
I grew peppers from shop bought and they were fine! Such a good feeling. Started them off in my kitchen then when the pepper itself appeared planted into my sisters garden.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
junmist

Post by junmist »

I have done this with tomatoes, never thought of peppers though
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

The rabbits have now pretty much eaten everything green that isn't a thistle or a nettle on my allotment so I started doubling the height of the chicken wire around my plot today. Steep learning curve this growing lark!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Even if you used those seeds just for micro greens, that would still help, wouldn't it ... same with carrot tops and anything else ...

**must do better**