What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:24 pm Could you stick cardboard or straw or similar around your spuds to help keep the weeds down and make it look more cared for without putting in a lot of effort?
Great idea.
I had toyed with giving them cover with card with holes in. But the weeds are a bit high now.
Luckily the weeds are loose and mostly annuals so they pull out easily. I don't really want to harvest and dig out weeds separately. I'll see what's quickest to give the right look
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

pseudonym that is very impressive. I presume you can recommend the brand seeing as you have so many?
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:46 pm pseudonym that is very impressive. I presume you can recommend the brand seeing as you have so many?
Him and itsy have jackerys of different types.. my mother in law has one of the smaller units .. the only thing with hers is the long recharge time...

Which Is why I plumped for ecoflow just to throw a spanner in the works . :lol:

Have a look on the prime sale some decent offers about assuming you've got prime or sign up for a month's free :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Medusa wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:46 pm pseudonym that is very impressive. I presume you can recommend the brand seeing as you have so many?
Thank you.

The system works for me, there are other makers out there and powerbank/solar generators are improving year on year.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Pseudonym and Yorkshire Andy I have had an All Powers one for a while which has worked great for us when camping for running lights and charging various things. It is not a brand you read much about. I would like another, possibly of another brand but am unsure of which one to get. The EcoFlow River seemed to be popular amongst the You Tubers a while ago and then the Jackery but it seems that which ever brand is being given away to the You Tubers for free to review is the most popular. I prefer to rely on recommendations from people who have spent their own hard earned cash.
Growing old disgracefully!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Medusa wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:26 pm Pseudonym and Yorkshire Andy I have had an All Powers one for a while which has worked great for us when camping for running lights and charging various things.
Medusa wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:26 pm I prefer to rely on recommendations from people who have spent their own hard earned cash.
My mate has several All Powers and he swears by them.

The Jackery system uses a proprietary solar panel set up (you can however jury rig it to use any panel)

The market for these type of solar generators is advancing so fast you could end up second guessing yourself
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:26 pm Pseudonym and Yorkshire Andy I have had an All Powers one for a while which has worked great for us when camping for running lights and charging various things. It is not a brand you read much about. I would like another, possibly of another brand but am unsure of which one to get. The EcoFlow River seemed to be popular amongst the You Tubers a while ago and then the Jackery but it seems that which ever brand is being given away to the You Tubers for free to review is the most popular. I prefer to rely on recommendations from people who have spent their own hard earned cash.

Biggest issue with most of them seems to be warranty claims being slow so buy from a decent retailer

I like the eco worthy stuff started with a river 2 now err well :lol: got a delta max manufacturers refurbished... Another river 2 and a few more odds and ends :lol:

If you do go ecoflow buy a smart plug when they are a tenner in Amazon..set up an ecoflow account this then will allow you access to member offers

But all these offers seem smoke and mirrors they are like ruddy DFS always a sale on :lol: just sit back watch the prices and hopefully land right :lol:

There's a £100 off orders over £1000 for members at the moment but not much else .....

Read the details my refurbished delta max direct from ecoflow 5 year warranty.. from a eBay reseller only 2 years

There's some referral thing too if you do order and want a code looks like it knocks another 5% off or get your other half to buy the plug and you order on a new account :lol:

I found another random 5% off code on Google
Attachments
Screenshot_20240721-095650.png
Screenshot_20240721-075114.png
Screenshot_20240721-075306.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:18 pm Knuckling down at the allotment.
I've been trying to prep for the allotment committee's August site inspection, where I anticipate a 'warning notce'. :oops: ...
That leaves me two beds, one with spuds and weeds in equal measure and the other mostly marestail and bindweed where my beans died.
With barely a week before potential inspection day, today I knuckled down a bit more.: The dead beans bed has been dug, weeded and sown with manure crop mustard seeds. That's the second bed to be 'cultivated' that way. The first manure crop bed has germinated beautifully.

That left my tater/onion bed where slugs had slaughtered my foliage. The onions have barely survived so I weeded around them. All spud foliage had now either died or been eaten. That's made it hard to figure where to even look for spuds. Thus I got a pitiful harvest of about 5kilo of modest sized spuds. There's probably twice as much still to be found. No spuds as big as my fist :(

VERY disappointed in myself. But at least they didn't get blight and they do look edible. Currently drying in the sun. That bed is about half weeded today.... It should be clear to the site inspector that I'm 'mid cultivation' with that bed.

The bed that I went no-dig on is now looking well populated by healthy spuds and a few transplanted raspberries.

Another half day of graft and I'll throw myself at their mercy.

Meanwhile, over in my two garden composter tardises, they are still covered by a thick canopy of spud foliage and I'm expecting a bigger harvest from them than from my whole allotment.

Harvested some tree onion bulblets and sowed in a window propagator.

I've also harvested enough peas and carrots from my planter to do two weekend's sunday dinners. Not a lot, but satisfying.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It does feel nice to be harvesting. Finally getting some courgettes and a few tomatoes around here. The French beans mostly fed the slugs so I am not expecting much there but the runners look a bit more hopeful. No room really for spuds so I just have a tub full that are looking OK. Hopefully they will give me some decent taters.
First plum tree harvested and turned into jam.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:47 pm It does feel nice to be harvesting.
Well, today's session was a cross between harvesting and weed clearing. I had hoped that by leaving the spuds till barely any foliage, that some spuds would have been big. But no.

Might be payback for my using a mix of shop spuds, last years harvest spuds and some volunteers.

Not even seen a tomato yet :( and my onions have gone to seed.
Didn't bother with courgettes, beetroot, or chard.

I have some carrots that have gone to seed. Will save some of those.

Between posts, I nipped out and harvested a big handful of peas. Shelled and frozen.