Food Riots -

How are you preparing
Steve20vt

Re: Food Riots -

Post by Steve20vt »

I'm not sure id be up for pet food. In my job I've been to a few places that make dog and cat foods and although the spec maybe human compliant, the stuff that goes into it doesn't look or smell appealing.
One place (popular brand) had animal produce like blood and other nasties all over the yard.
Stuff wasn't temp checked and left stood outside in the heat of the day.
The staff couldn't care less, Christ I'd think twice about giving a pet that stuff.

Some stuff we deliver to food prep factories makes you wonder. I won't ever drink coca cola again either.
Even the guy who unloaded my truck of the hazardous chemical drums (ingredient) says the stuff rots you from the inside.
Just because we have standards doesn't mean the staff adhere to them.

On the other note about being away from your preps / home, being a trucker means I'm away a lot, I always carry enough food, clothes and water to last me a week. Im not one of these 20 stone truckers that spends every break in a lay by greasy spoon.
I have a sort of plan to drop my trailer and head straight home in the event of shtf situation.
I'd hope I was smart enough to realise the proverbial was hitting the fan before people realised I had a 500 litre store of diesel attached to my truck and supplies. Hopefully once I realised something was going down I'd not be stopping for anyone.
Gunner81

Post by Gunner81 »

Hi, I've been visiting these forums for some time but this thread made me want to comment.

I think Galen has a good point. The biggest part of prepping for me is thinking outside of the box.

I read a couple of people here and elsewhere talk about small/corner shops, these places are going to be the most heavily defended places. Small shops and even chains (nisa) are franchises, all the stock in there is purchased by the someone, not a company. In a sense there own sub-conscious prepping. They are not going to sell it or give it up without a fight.

Ok, so a couple of things I have thought about.

Leisure centres; 5 gallon drum of chlorine. Water is drinkable with chlorine and at 1-4 ppm (part per million), a 5 gallon drum goes very far. Protein shakes would also help take the taste away and add calories and protein to the diet. Not to mention the food that would be there.

Offices; they will also have some sort of chemical water treatment inside. Most have vending machines in too.

I could go on. Btw I'm not suggesting a leisure centre would sell the chlorine, just if things got so bad and looting became a way of life. Which I don't believe ever will but better to be peppered!!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks for posting Gunner.

Could you please pop over to the new members area and make an introductory post. Many thanks. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

Steve20vt wrote:On the other note about being away from your preps / home, being a trucker means I'm away a lot, I always carry enough food, clothes and water to last me a week. Im not one of these 20 stone truckers that spends every break in a lay by greasy spoon.
I have a sort of plan to drop my trailer and head straight home in the event of shtf situation.
I'd hope I was smart enough to realise the proverbial was hitting the fan before people realised I had a 500 litre store of diesel attached to my truck and supplies. Hopefully once I realised something was going down I'd not be stopping for anyone.
Reminds me of the time I worked in a warehouse. The artic driver started his engine and went inside to check something. Didn't realise the hand brake wasn't on. The air brakes pumped up and released, 40' wagon rolled down the yard, across the industrial estate road and parked a Vauxhall Cavalier into the building opposite.

Damage to Cavalier: it was six feet long!

Damage to artic cab: One broken foot rest.

To get out of Dodge, forget the SUV, take the HGV.
SHTF around 2017.
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Gunner81 wrote:
Leisure centres; 5 gallon drum of chlorine. Water is drinkable with chlorine and at 1-4 ppm (part per million), a 5 gallon drum goes very far. Protein shakes would also help take the taste away and add calories and protein to the diet. Not to mention the food that would be there.

Offices; they will also have some sort of chemical water treatment inside. Most have vending machines in too.

I could go on. Btw I'm not suggesting a leisure centre would sell the chlorine, just if things got so bad and looting became a way of life. Which I don't believe ever will but better to be peppered!!

Does this mean we get to drink the swimming pool?
Perish the thought!
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

cpslashm wrote:
Steve20vt wrote:On the other note about being away from your preps / home, being a trucker means I'm away a lot, I always carry enough food, clothes and water to last me a week. Im not one of these 20 stone truckers that spends every break in a lay by greasy spoon.
Reminds me of the time I worked in a warehouse. The artic driver started his engine and went inside to check something. Didn't realise the hand brake wasn't on. The air brakes pumped up and released, 40' wagon rolled down the yard, across the industrial estate road and parked a Vauxhall Cavalier into the building opposite.

Damage to Cavalier: it was six feet long!

Damage to artic cab: One broken foot rest.

To get out of Dodge, forget the SUV, take the HGV.
lmao :lol:
Knowledge is power
EarlyPrepper

Post by EarlyPrepper »

Simply add canned dog food to a pasta dish. Now it's beef.
Last edited by EarlyPrepper on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

EarlyPrepper wrote:Simply add canned dog food to a pasta dish. Now it's beef.
Is canned dog legal? :shock:
SHTF around 2017.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Galen wrote:......and head to ... Pets 'R' Us.

Why?

Because it'll be stacked with food. Cans of dog and cat food, dog biscuits are highly nutritious and last forever. One of my clients was Purina and the cleanliness and nutritional levels required by law for pet food often exceed those required for humans (see your local kebab shop for comparisons).

Antibiotics for fish can be obtained (we're in dire straights here and they'll be better than nothing).

The main stumbling block will be the initial 'Eeeeew' factor :shock: ... but after a few days going hungry and you won't be that fussy and you'll soon be chowing down on delicious Pal 'with meaty chunks and full of marrowbone jelly' :lol:

Thoughts anyone?
I should have jumped on this thread sooner.

Yes, sure, any nutrition is better than none and having had to live off tesco value rice before, I am pretty sure that some dog food would be better for us than just tesco value rice, but I cant help but think that it wouldn't work with our digestive systems.

In a panic situation when you have nothing else, go for it, but it sure isnt a long term solution. Its designed to make your dog look healthy. Enough nutrition to make the coat all shiny and keep the nose wet.

If I was that hungry and hadn't eaten for many days, I am sure I would go for it, but I couldn't live off it and for these of us with sensitive stomachs, its possible that indigestion could happen.

I'd be tempted to go for tinned dog food, wash off the jelly and sok otu the worse muck from the meat of there is any. Then chop the meat finely, add tomato puree, heaps of curry powder or similar flavour options. Possibly stir fry it with vegetables or whatever and then add to a bed of rice.

Sprinkle linseed on top to help wit the digestibility and then you have a meal.

Drink with purified water that has been made to taste tolerable with the addition of . . . . whatever you like.... and you got yourself a meal that will keep you active in the dark times.

If it was a question of the biscuits, for some reason I might not trust them all that much, but soaking them, again rinsing off the worst of any chemical additives and maybe making some kind of bovril-esque crouton type drink would be higher on my agenda.

I still have an instinctive "uck" factor with the idea though.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
EarlyPrepper

Post by EarlyPrepper »

cpslashm wrote:
EarlyPrepper wrote:Simply add canned dog food to a pasta dish. Now it's beef.
Is canned dog legal? :shock:

Dog food. Not dog, haha
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein