What are we planning to grow this year?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Hamradioop

Re: What are we planning to grow this year?

Post by Hamradioop »

featherstick wrote:I'll have him. I'll have half now, and freeze the rest for later.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

You rotters! :lol:

@ Decaff, our new mogsplaesh are systematically eating just about every houseplant we have much to alpha males fury :shock: so you're not alone...also my black beauty has lost all fear and has been known to hook meat off the plates we are eating from if we are momentarily distracted! (but not for long it is always retrieved from said cat) alpha male is interested in any sauces that featherstick would recommend............

Back on track - we're still having heavy frosts but our veg patches seem to be thriving. Had to plant phase two of the radishes as we've eaten them all, somehow they never make it out of the polytunnel. In the next 48 hours I am determind to thin the beetroot and replant the thinnings outside, oh, and our berry bushes are LOADED with flowers. I'm feeling very positive after our earlier mouse attack, all the beans/peas, tomatoes and peppers are looking good but the cucumbers are taking their time
Knowledge is power
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We've had a few days of sporadic snow showers, the early mornings were down to minus4. I still haven't planted anything :mrgreen:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I was given some Cucamelon seeds by the old boy nextdoor at the allotments so am giving them a go, they are just starting to germinate.
The tomatoes are looking really good, I'm especially proud of the San Marzano plants as I saved the seed myself and got an excellent germination and the plants look really healthy and sturdy. I'm just hoping they're fruitful as they are my preserving crop.

Peas under the cloches are nearly a foot tall :shock: Once we get past this cold snap I'll take them off as I will need them for the French Beans.

Sweetcorn is just popping up, Pumpkins and Melons are just getting their second leaves, Parsnips have finally shown up to the party, Squashes are still sulking, Onions and Shallots are doing well, Oca and Hopniss are just making an appearance in the pots.

I learned a hard lesson last year, the allotment is not a garden it's a harsher environment and I lost a lot of plants to the conditions by planting and sowing too early. I'm being more patient this season and waiting an extra couple of weeks, unless stuff is protected.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Hamradioop wrote:
featherstick wrote:I'll have him. I'll have half now, and freeze the rest for later.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: if you could eat half now then you must be truly famished, he is a big old lump of a mog!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Stasher wrote:You rotters! :lol:

@ Decaff, our new mogsplaesh are systematically eating just about every houseplant we have much to alpha males fury :shock: so you're not alone...also my black beauty has lost all fear and has been known to hook meat off the plates we are eating from if we are momentarily distracted! (but not for long it is always retrieved from said cat) alpha male is interested in any sauces that featherstick would recommend............

I feel your pain I went from having beautiful houseplants all over the flat right down to zero!!! He will even destroy/eat any fresh flowers too... He's chewed the leather from my shoe heels, pushes the button to open the tumble dryer door so he can sleep inside on the warm contents and will happily shred the post as it comes through :cry: he is a monster, I just hope he doesn't see that advert for "be more dog" or we've had it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
valderee

Post by valderee »

My spring onions are coming along nicely, my sweet peppers a little and lettuce got ate, nothing else I was planning to grow got started, but I still do intend to get some tomato`s, if its not too late to grow them on from already started at the garden centres etc.. :)
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Ooooooooooooooooo

Everythings so exciting right now. The mang tout are delish ditto the radish, beetroot and courgette. I have fresh sweet peas scenting the house. The rhubarb is ripe, tomatoes are ripening, soft fruit is changing colour.

Life, as they say, is good
Knowledge is power
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Stasher wrote:

:o You can't say that :o - this is a prepper site. We're all doomed!
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

featherstick wrote:
Stasher wrote:

:o You can't say that :o - this is a prepper site. We're all doomed!
ROFL :lol: Will correct ending

Life, as they say, is bad 8-)
Knowledge is power