Is it worth learning to shoot?

Homes and Retreats
Plymtom

Re: Is it worth learning to shoot?

Post by Plymtom »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Image

.22 rimfire on the left, .223 on the right....... Very important not to get the two confused ;)
And the rest FC? I can't resist finding out which ones they are :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

All pistol calibres, below is the title of that picture
22, 25, 32, 380, 9mm, 357 SIG, 38, 357, 40, 45, & 223 rifle (for comparison)
Harvested from http://www.amalgamatedstuff.com/tt/hand ... ition.html
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Small calibres won't do much damage, particularly copper jacketed types, they tend to be through and through unless they hit bone. As others have said, you need to know what your target backdrop is before you take a shot, which is why deer hunters favour a high seat, firing down at their target with the ground behind them.
I hunt a fair bit, and you basically try to match your calibre to what you're hunting. With deer, a reasonable size rifle round will give you a clean kill with a heart shot without too much trauma, if you're using something like 7mm or .243. If you're after rabbits or squirrels, air rifles work just fine and you don't need an actual firearm.

Bonus points to the person that can guess the calibre of the monster casing shown in my hand below;

"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
unsure

Post by unsure »

no idea but i`d go with a 50
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Depends how big your hand is :lol: my guess 45/70 or 458 win mag the latter is not for the faint hearted, standing next to one was an experience in itself :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Plymtom wrote:Depends how big your hand is :lol: my guess 45/70 or 458 win mag the latter is not for the faint hearted, standing next to one was an experience in itself :lol:
Ha ha oddly enough the first photo didn't have the 50p in it, and I included that for that very reason!

Unsure was closest, but both good guesses. It's a 500 Nitro Express, goes off like a small cannon but there's pretty much nothing it can't stop.
Albeit if you shot bambi with one you'd spend a few days trying to find all the bits.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I was hedging my bets toward a more likely UK caliber but I did suspect it be the big no neck monster that I haven't seen in the flesh, nor it's slightly bigger brother the .577.... detached retina anyone?
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Plymtom wrote:I was hedging my bets toward a more likely UK caliber but I did suspect it be the big no neck monster that I haven't seen in the flesh, nor it's slightly bigger brother the .577.... detached retina anyone?
Yeah I did figure it'd be a tough one to guess. I've actually got a .700 NE casing kicking round here somewhere, but only ever fired a handful of those. Useful if you're ever stalking an M1 Abrams, but not entirely sure what sort of game they were aimed at lol
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I was going to take a stab at .600 H&H Nitro Express.

I don't think I'd be able to have one of these though :cry:

"I really do have a need for this rifle Officer...... How else am I supposed to stop Godzilla from eating Cromer ?" :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
farnet

Post by farnet »

In a SHTF instance.

if you are being realistic and want something as a basic defence and an excellent form of providing protein then I would suggest getting a .22 semi auto with good sights (I have 2 x 25 round clips for mine as well), the reasons outweigh every other caliber by miles.

Deadly at a distance, you could have over 100 rounds in one pocket with ease (so travelling wouldn't be a problem), can be silenced (with subsonic rounds and a sound moderator), this is the most common calibre in botht the UK and USA so getting rounds in a SHTF instance it would be the easiest to get hold of (and I would imagine the rounds would be a great form of currency as well), easy to learn to fire, no kick... I could go on.

and legally, it would be the one you'd most likely get a license for as well, and in normal terms very good fun for target shooting and vermin control, and extremely cheap.... 50 rounds for under £4.00 (whereas a .223 is something like £14.00 for 20 rounds)
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'