What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Arzosah »

I won't get maudlin, jansman (sending love anyway!) - but yes, re-editing lists and details in such a short time is shocking, isn't it!

I have a spreadsheet I called "Net Worth And Where It Is" - I input on it every quarter or so - accounts need to be closed and the money transferred somewhere else, because there was a teaser rate or something, and my will is out of date - a charitable donation to a charity that doesn't exist any more. I used to use a notebook, like my mum did, and it wasn't good enough - spreadsheet it is, with numerous backups.

The biggest earthquake in the family was when a family member died last autumn aged 48, its made my 39 year old niece make a will, including provision for her cat (he'll come to live with me, if I'm still around, and she's made provision for him to be looked after too), and I'd told her about my PMs for her and her brother - I'd never said anything previously.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:45 am I won't get maudlin, jansman (sending love anyway!) - but yes, re-editing lists and details in such a short time is shocking, isn't it!

I have a spreadsheet I called "Net Worth And Where It Is" - I input on it every quarter or so - accounts need to be closed and the money transferred somewhere else, because there was a teaser rate or something, and my will is out of date - a charitable donation to a charity that doesn't exist any more. I used to use a notebook, like my mum did, and it wasn't good enough - spreadsheet it is, with numerous backups.

The biggest earthquake in the family was when a family member died last autumn aged 48, its made my 39 year old niece make a will, including provision for her cat (he'll come to live with me, if I'm still around, and she's made provision for him to be looked after too), and I'd told her about my PMs for her and her brother - I'd never said anything previously.
Excellent. Even the animals can be an issue, of course. My old school mate and neighbour is suffering from the same ‘C’ in his body as me ,and is limited for time too. He has found a home for his dog two doors down,and shares her regularly in order for her to get used to a new home.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:10 pmEven the animals can be an issue, of course. My old school mate and neighbour is suffering from the same ‘C’ in his body as me ,and is limited for time too. He has found a home for his dog two doors down,and shares her regularly in order for her to get used to a new home.
That's a really good idea. The cat's stayed with me for a total of about 4 weeks, while niece holidays with her mum, so I'm not a *complete* stranger, but he's a house cat too - no danger of him jumping a fence and scarpering.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Was just on my exercise bike, watching my pulse, counting the minutes and calories, and I suddenly had a genius idea. Someone should make exercise bikes that can generate power and charge up a power bank!

Anyway, at least I'm getting a bit fitter. I was doing back exercises, but started getting twinges and/or stiffness, so have laid off those for a bit.

No real problems on the exercise bike, minor knee twinges that went away, and pins and needles in my hands at the end, probably from gripping the pulse monitor bit. I have raised bar ends on my real bike I use to change my grip and rest one hand at a time. I reckon I have trapped nerves in both hands.

Back on the diet as well, trying to stay under 1800 calories. I put 7 pounds on since the summer.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:39 pm Was just on my exercise bike, watching my pulse, counting the minutes and calories, and I suddenly had a genius idea. Someone should make exercise bikes that can generate power and charge up a power bank!

Anyway, at least I'm getting a bit fitter. I was doing back exercises, but started getting twinges and/or stiffness, so have laid off those for a bit.

No real problems on the exercise bike, minor knee twinges that went away, and pins and needles in my hands at the end, probably from gripping the pulse monitor bit. I have raised bar ends on my real bike I use to change my grip and rest one hand at a time. I reckon I have trapped nerves in both hands.

Back on the diet as well, trying to stay under 1800 calories. I put 7 pounds on since the summer.

Knee pain .. check your saddle is the correct height fixed bikes dont move like 2 wheels if on spd pedals check cleat position...

Hand pain gell gloves / softer grips check your reach so your not putting too much pressure on it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

This week my wife will be getting * training * 🤣 upon our emergency heating. Safety more than anything. Got to get freezer containers for excess food ( ready meals) mainly for my wife when I am in hospital. Most important.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bulk bought done oil for mine and the wife's car that'll keep them happy fir 2/3 years
Screenshot_20240129-105059.png
20 l in total the postman is going to be miffed :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Peter

Post by Peter »

When I was in the motor trade (80s) I sold Silver Knight oil at 19/6d,
Duckhams Q was about 25/6d, GTX was a little dearer.
jansman

Post by jansman »

So Mrs J is now thoroughly aware of emergency gas and diesel heating. Video taken too! Today appropriate storage for gas bottles and red diesel is available. If the power goes off now,she will be fine . Later today I will make sure she understands our (my :D ) battery storage operates,along with power banks. Lighting in an emergency in this house is not an issue :lol:
A walk yesterday we bumped into an old ,old friend who has handed his general building firm to his two boys,who my wife taught! Long and short,if anything needs doing in the future,they will sort it or recommend the right guy to sort it. 👍

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Went through every item in my kitchen food cupboard. Looks like I'll be living off Sainsbury's Pasta Bake for the whole of February. I was under budget for food this month, only spent £87 and that includes £16 dried egg which I will eat near to it's expiry, but is preps more than anything.

Lowered my bike saddle about 10mm, torqued the bolt to 5NM and then did it by hand to the same position to get the feel for it. Pumped the tyres. I'm not going for rides just yet, but it is my bugout vehicle if there's no public transport or taxis. I did this because I lowered the seat on my exercise bike and it felt a bit better.