http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/arrows/a ... lunts.html
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

mitch66

Re: Crossbow. Is it really necessary?

Post by mitch66 »

12mp82 wrote:Or get some blunt-points for your bolts/arrows

Like these

http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/arrows/a ... lunts.html
Thanks 12mp82 it was worth a look :) i do try to keep all my bolt / arrow weight's the same then i can keep the same poi. but food for thought. thanks again
Bilbo

Post by Bilbo »

For those on a budget but want broadheads -- tin can arrowhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UPAsV2jm0
Humour is one of the best ingredients of survival.
(Aung San Suu Kyi)
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Bilbo wrote:For those on a budget but want broadheads -- tin can arrowhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UPAsV2jm0
Old teaspoons are good as well, and 2p coins are easily torned into arrow heads ;)

gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

A crossbow bolt with fishing line attached to it makes it a versatile weapon for wet birds in a river or estuary, doubles up as a line thrower,message sender for those trapped somewhere.
The limbs on some models such as the jaguar 175. Can be changed over for more powerful or less powerful ones as you see fit.
The crossbow is noisy though,a little louder than an air rifle but you can buy/make noise string dampener for them.
But makes up for it in the range / power department.
I'd have no worries about ghillien up in a hide somewhere and taking out geese at 50 yards.
There'd be enough power to kill the animal( all our shots hopefully cause a minimum of prolonged pain to the animal) but if your aims off,bit of wind unaccounted for etc,your going to get a maiming shot, the force of that shot beds to disable as much as possible your pray rendering it to a quick capture or retrieval and dispatch asap.
Wildfowling on the coast using ssg sometimes does this and its a dog snapping a downed shot goosesneck or the shooter applying the coup de grace to the animal.
Always be prepared to know how to dispatch an injured animal quickly just in case
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Just my 2 pence worth

New to prepping but a long term history buff so.......

SHTF has happened You have a weapon ..... which ??

Gun - Top choice but hard to get in the UK unless an air rifle, then you have the ammo problem

Bow - In skilled hands the Bow is better weapon than the Crossbow, the key word is skilled, to be good with a bow you need to practise a lot

Crossbow - You can learn to use a Crossbow in a relatively short time

So there you have my take, we are talking about after the rule of law has gone and you need to defend your family, from a historical point of view the gun is the best choice but in the uk is difficult to get legally, next is the bow but your need to have time to train regularly and lastly the Xbow which I will be getting and will practise enough to be familiar with it then it will go next to my BOB as a "spare tyre".

Just a point about all the other weapons mentioned ,, yep they all work BUT they were all superseded by a better weapon,, the gun ,, remember the injuns at little big horn had chucked away their bows and were using winchesters
gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

Totally agree with you on that one.ideally a gun/rifle would be suited for many functions from hunter gatherer to self defense and area denial,however uk wise you just can't get them,so for me its make do with what we have to hand .and not dwell on not having one.granted in a hostile environment and the chance came through whateverscenario and I ended up with one then its another tool in my armoury,till then and prey tell it never happens ; its the legal eagle route.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

ideally a gun/rifle would be suited for many functions from hunter gatherer to self defense and area denial,however uk wise you just can't get them,
As long as you meet a few easy criteria there is only one reason you cannot get a shotgun for sports and vermin control in the UK, that reason is you don't want one.

There is a good discussion about it viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6077&start=60

gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

No,really I'd love one,two,several...loads.will read link and reply accordingly ad the answers could take this off post a little.......still for the crossbow though, :D
gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

Right,I had a quick scan through that link you gave me,and yes,no maybe,the argument on the gun issue and ownership puts the nature of this post down in that the gun does inevitably wins in the end but I don't understand the context of your suggestion.
Are you saying I should go through the gun procurement procedure purely on the basis that the gun( and I say gun as a general description meaning rifle/shotgun etc..basically a firearm) is superior to that of the crossbow that its a more useful tool on the list of things I could do with it in a shtf situation and thus rendering the crossbow as part of an arsenal unrequired?
The fact I chose a crossbow is because I have it here,now,with no checks,memberships,extra costs.and can achieve what's required if needed.if my attitude changes and situations evolve for the worse you can bet your ass I'll be very keen to take up clay pigeon shooting all of a sudden and apply for license galore but as it: is with my crossbow I have a relatively. Cheap means of self defense and food procurement which is easy to use in a shtf situation.
:D